Do you use stitch markers?

I am seeing more and more in patterns I am looking at the mention of stitch markers. I have only ever made one thing where I needed to have a stitch marker... and then I just used the ole paper clip method. There have been a couple of things that have called for them but I either did not know what they were at the time or did not have something available when I was working on the pattern and go to that point (an on-the-go project, etc)... I now keep a couple of paper clips in my project bag just in case that happens again!

I am curious... do you use them? What type of projects? Favorite thing to use for a stitch marker? I am seeing them on everything from granny squares to very complex patterns (where it makes sense to have a stitch marker or round marker to keep the pattern straight)...

Happy first day of fall! Hope everyone has a great day working on those fall/winter projects... it is going to be almost 90 degrees here! Fall? What's that!

Hi! I use them all the time. Wherever a pattern says to loop a piece of yarn around a stitch, I pull out a stitch marker. I used to use yarn, but I found the stitch markers attached much faster and stay put. I buy "stitch markers" from craft stores or catalogs. I like them because they are easy to use and do a nice job of not snagging the yarn fibers. (My favorite ones came from PatternWorks. They haven't snagged any of my projects so far.) I do mostly afghans, so that's where I get the most use out of them. :hook

And, yes, indeed, what a lovely way to bring in the first day of autumn! :manyheart

I keep all those bits of yarn for stitch markers and yes, I use them all the time. While working out a pattern I like to mark out the sections and such..

I love me some many coloured yarn scraps :rofl

I use them. To keep my work from coming undone when I walk away, to mark sections, and probably a host of other reasons. I will also use a thread or yarn scrap when working something in continuous rounds--flipping it back and forth so that it looks like a sort of running stitch when I get all those rounds done. And it pulls right out.

Like Ann, I make my own. it gets addicting. :) I also have a few of those clover ones hanging around. those come in handy too.

I use them all the time. Some patterns call for marking a certain stitch, plus amigurumi and continuous round stuff. I make my own using lever back earring clips and beads. I always include at least 1 in my month tote giveaway.

:turtle:vheart

I use them all the time.. love them...

I tried to make my own but failed miserable. I can't maneuver the different types of plier thingies. (I cut off two fingers when i was a teen) and I can make them but I guess i don't get them "tight enough" and they fall apart very easily.

But I do love receiving them and using the gifted ones :manyheart

For years I never used markers because I never found any I liked, so I used tiny pins. They worked just fine.

Then one day I saw my oldest sister using markers I'd never seen. I loved them! I grabbed her package of markers and I was excitedly asking "Where did you get these? Why didn't you tell me about these?" I couldn't believe my eyes. These markers were exactly what I envisioned in my mind, but I didn't know anyone made them. No frills or dangles or anything to get in the way.

They are the split ring markers made by Clover. They're just a simple round with a precise piont at one end and a bump at the other. Just point, and into the stitch it goes, twirl it until it's up to the bump and it's in place. I love it. I have never had one snag.

I've bought packages and packages of these so I can have some in every project and still not run out. The only complaint I would have, is that they are pink, white and medium blue (mixed) only. I've never seen any other colors, unless they've added some in the last 6 months.

As for using markers ~ yes, at certain times.

I mark the RS of my item.

I use a marker when working in a spiral.

I use them when working with anything that's in pieces, and where pieces need to go.

Sock edges for heels need to be marked.

I mark pleats and edges of bags when I'm putting them together.

Sometimes I mark items while counting.

YES, I use the one's by clover that are plastic and look like little safety pins. Love them. I've made my own, but found the dangling was annoying. These are perfect for what I use them for and that's everything real Deal listed. I also use them to hold the seams of items I'm putting together.

Lots of good information :) I think it is more I have never really had a big need for them so have never used them. I do like the idea of using them to keep a project from unraveling. Why did I never think of that?!?! There have been times when I have lost more than a few stitches because the hook did not stay secure.

I may have to look into some other styles before long though if I am going to do projects that require them! :)

i use them all the time when doing amigurumi since lord knows i lose track every.single.time when trying to count stitches in my rounds. i also use them to hold the last loop on the hook when i stop in the middle of a project...i don't like to leave my hook in the project, so i hold the loop with a stitch marker and put my hook someplace where i won't lose it (i.e. back in my hook roll lol). i started out with a safety pin but quickly found that it snagged my yarn more than i cared for, so i bought some of the plastic clover brand ones too and love them.

I, too, use stitch markers. I went for years with using any and then one time (don't really remember why) purchased a package of the Clover Brand. I didn't use them right a way but had them handy. Then one day I was trying to make a scarf and needed to make a foundation chain of a little over 200 chains and I kept losing count. Then I got a bright idea and pulled out my package of Clover stitch markers and putted one in every 25 chains. In no time at all I had my foundation chain made and did not lose count or if I did it was not hard to figure out where I was. I just love my Clover stitch markers and recently added 3 more packages. One small size (my first package was of the small size) and 2 packages of the larger size markers. But I have gotten so many good ideas on using stitch markers from this thread I just may have to buy some more.

I know ladies, how it sounds, to just love the Clover stitch markers so much, and if you knew me it would seem even stranger, because I make gemstone jewelry. Well, those ARE pretty, but I'd still rather have the simple functionality of the Clover's.

I didn't think of it before, but I sometimes hold heavy pieces together that I'm seaming, like the edges of totebags and yarnbags that I've made double stranded ~ about every 8 or 10 stitches and on corners.

You guys have convinced me I need to try out stitch markers again! Seems like Clover is the popular choice here... do you order them online or can they be found in your local craft store (chain store type place).... I had never thought of them for foundation chains (WHY???? LOL) and it is not uncommon for me to be doing one that is 100+ so it never seems to fail that you get to 90 and your finger slips so you have to either guess or start over counting!

I mostly use stitch markers when I'm chaining a LONG row and I don't want to lose count! I usually just use a bobby pin--I've never had a proper stitch marker!

Just thought that I would let you guys know I bought my first real package of stitch markers today... them and another 6 skeins of yarn... gotta love when the hubby breaks down and will go to AC Moore with me (over an hour away!)... not only did he let me go to one but 2 of them today <3 LOL

Archived