What do your friends and family think about your crochet enthusiasm??

My mother has always been crafty, so she pushed for me to be the same way. My parents think that it's wonderful that I get paid to play with thread. They have always been supportive of me pursuing something that I like. I happen to have a lot of friends who like to crochet, too, so that's nothing weird for them. I got to help teach some of them how to get started in it. It's when I crochet at work during my lunch break that I would get comments. They were never rude, but more in awe of my weirdness or uniqueness. LOL. I'm always doing something, and my hands always have to be busy. They ask things like, "Don't you ever stop to relax?". I just tell them that this is relaxing to me. It's a way of disconnecting your mind from the day to day stuff, and just letting go. Their idea of relaxing and letting go is to watch their favorite soap opera. I say watch it while crocheting, because that's a total waste of perfectly good crochet time. :D I was told, one time, that I needed to make accounting as my career, because I would never be able to make money with arts or crafts. LOL. Look at me now. I'm making money and I'm happy at doing it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my entire family is indifferent to it. I do get compliments like when olivia wears something i made but i don't think they *really* understand that i really truly made it... lol if that makes any sense.

I haven't even told my family about my blog. they are not into the computer world at all.... my mother hah i dont think she could even turn one on...my dad uses a computer but only for work purposes ... my grandmother thinks world is too technological...

But i don't tell them much about my life anyway :O I am always criticized and am looked down upon since i do not follow their beliefs of what success is etc.. yeah i am silly... would rather share my life online with strangers than with my own family...

I guess my world just does not relate to theirs... their notion is what is proper.. wake at dawn, commute to work, come home, get dinner started, clean up, take showers, go to sleep... they all work a zillion hours a week, are never home. Nobody EVER calls me back when i call just to chat with them... they are just all too busy. My belief is that family is #1 and if you can't take time to return a call every once in a while.. then life needs changing.. that is how all the time goes and you look back... At least i know for myself.. I may not have a house (that I incidently REALLY want).. but I am building the greatest memories with my kids, and genuinly enjoying each day as it happens.

But i am happy and i just LOVE life!

To me, it seems to be making the most of "wasted" tv time.

And that is just it for a lot of people. Why on Earth would you want to be creating something when instead you could be sitting in front of the television letting your mind rot? There is this odd belief in our society that a pastime cannot be relaxing if it requires actual thinking, and that something isn't worth doing unless it is easy. Look at the popularity of some of the scrapbooking kits out there, the ones that not only provide you with perfectly coordinated components but a printed sheet to copy the layout from. But if you want to crochet a baby sweater, you have to go collect all the materials, which means putting thought into things like color, texture, and bulk, then you have to figure out which size to make, you have to put effort into getting the gauge correct...And then, if you're like me, you have to start deviating from the pattern! :laughroll

Honestly, I don't have much patience for folks who feel creativity is below them. The ability to make something from scratch--be it a piece of clothing, a sculpture, a painting, or what have you--requires a level of critical thought which seems to be impossible for a lot of people.

my husband just mutters about me never being able to sit still without anything in my hands lol

I think one reason my fiance wanted to learn crocheting is because he's always fiddling with something and often ends up breaking whatever it is. By crocheting, he's keeping his hands busy in a constructive way. :)

I'm another of the lucky ones I guess. Hubby is fully supportive of my addiction, he buys me yarn and hooks and whatever I want/need to fuel said addiction, he gives advice and opinions when asked, he asks for things on occasion and he promotes my talents to his friends and co-workers. He's even sold a few hats for me =) He occasionally teases me and calls me a freak but it's done with love =)

My son (who turned 11 yesterday) brags about my skills all the time, asks me to make things for him and his friends, and he has even sold a couple things for me lol.

My friends love it when I send them handmade gifts, I taught one of them to crochet while I was in the states (though she just told me via email that she learned to kn!t and finds it suits her personality and ADD better)

Friends and aquaintences here aren't bothered by it at all either, a few have asked me to make things for them.

I've never had a negative comment from strangers on the bus or in waiting rooms etc. Mostly they say ego building things *g* or ask if I could teach them, the worst that is ever said is "Whatcha knitting?" and that doesn't bother me, I just explain that knitting is with two needles, crochet is with one hook, then tell them what I'm crocheting lol.

All my family & friends know I crochet and I never get any negative comments about it. They also know to expect something handmade from me for all gifts which, again, no one complains about. Bridal showers, baby showers, holidays, etc.....it's the handmade gifts that get all the nicest compliments & ooohs/aaaahs. Hubby will occassionally come up with a weird request for something totally strange which we usually end up laughing over but that's the extent of comments. I do get a lot of requests to make items especially for baby showers but unless I give the item myself, I don't make things to give to others to give away (friends/family don't expect to pay for items even if to give away, so I quit making things to give to someone to give to someone else.....cheapos!). When I sold Loopi, they had a new respect for my crocheting, which helped tons. They no longer look at it as a strange hobby.

My family thought it was annoying until I started making things for them. If I'm on the computer, watching tv, or standing in line somewhere, I've either got my hook or my needles out. My husband had the biggest problem with it. He used to get mad and say that I wasn't "really watching" a movie or tv show. He was irritated when I took my knitting with me to wait for Harry Potter and THBP to be released, but I think that's just because we were waiting in line and he didn't have anything to do! He drew the line when I was going to take my project with me when we went to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though. *sigh* I guess that he'll always hold a bit of contempt towards my yarn work, but he knows he's got to deal with it.

Ya know, until this question was asked, I never even thought about it! In all the years I've been crocheting (and crafting in general), I never once ran into a negative reaction from anybody, be it friend, family or total stranger! It never even occurred to me that anyone would have a negative attitude toward something creative that I was doing. And I've never been shy about whatever I happened to be obsessed with, lol! Crafting is in my blood, mom was always making things (she's primarily a sewer, though she also crochets - we learned together when I was around 12. At 94, she's still at it, too!). As a teen, I did a lot of sewing, made most of my own wardrobe to rave reviews, and as a mom, I was always making things for my kids, whether it was fancy frilly dresses for my daughter or the annual Halloween costumes for both daughter and son (neither of them ever wore a store-bought costume in their life). My husband's mom was even more into crocheting and knitting, and when she died, I hit the jackpot as far as crocheting tools and patterns and such (her daughter, my SIL, took all the knitting supplies since she was a knitter too). The number of crochet hooks that woman had was almost obscene, lol! But she was always making things and giving them away, and her funeral was heavily attended by grateful recipients, some who had to travel great distances in extreme weather to be there (one gal stood at a bus-stop in -25 degree windchills for a half-hour, and burst into tears when she arrived at the end of the service because she'd missed it. We took good care of her, awed by her dedication). So maybe my experience isn't all that typical, I dunno.

The only time I ever ran into a problem with trying to craft when the person I was living with wanted to do something else was with Phil, back when we lived together. I had wanted to start crocheting again after being away from it for several years. He is a movie addict, and I was always too antsy to sit through an entire movie, so I thought this would be a good way for us to be together while keeping my interest intact. Except for one small problem... Part of his movie-watching pleasure was to try to recreate the "theater" experience - including total lack of any light other than what was coming from the movie itself. I don't care how good I may become at my craft, I will never be able to crochet in absolute darkness! :eek This did not go over too well with Mr. Theater man, lol! So my crafting didn't get very far that time out. But he has reformed his ways now, when I go visit him to watch a movie, he's happy to let me at least have a dimmed light on, enough to see by, when we watch a movie together. Part of it, I suspect, is that he is anticipating some of my creations coming his way, and he doesn't want to get in the way of progress anymore! :hook

I do hear many people run the "I don't have time" line by me all the time. What they are really saying is that they don't have enough interest to make the time for it. I know I spend a lot of time crying about my lack of time all the time (it seems to be the mantra that runs constantly through my blog, lol!), but my problem truly is a lack of time to do everything I really want to do and just not enough hours in the day to do them all - I have far too many interests for just one gal! That's why I have no TV - and don't miss it. It's one of those things I have no time for, and don't want to make time for. Don't miss it at all! If I really feel the need to watch a movie, there's always Mr. Movie's house I can go to, but it's been months since I've needed that fix! I'm far too happy trying to juggle all the things I really want to be doing anyway.

And as far as I'm concerned, time is only wasted if you spend it doing stuff you truly hate - which is why my house is probably such a mess! :lol

This has been a great thread! Thank you, summerysmile, for starting it! :cheer

, Except for one small problem... Part of his movie-watching pleasure was to try to recreate the "theater" experience - including total lack of any light other than what was coming from the movie itself. I don't care how good I may become at my craft, I will never be able to crochet in absolute darkness! :eek This did not go over too well with Mr. Theater man, lol! So my crafting didn't get very far that time out. But he has reformed his ways now, when I go visit him to watch a movie, he's happy to let me at least have a dimmed light on, enough to see by, when we watch a movie together. Part of it, I suspect, is that he is anticipating some of my creations coming his way, and he doesn't want to get in the way of progress anymore! :hook

:cheer

I have this same problem with my family - we have a HUGE 64 inch big screen, surround sounds, yada yada... and they all like to watch movies or even TV in Darkness. I turn the light on by one of our chairs and they have to live with it.;)

I have never gotten a negative comment while crocheting in public (waiting rooms ect) I am usually asked what I am making. My hubby dosent comment too much either, except when I turn on the end table light while we are watching tv! Not sure what he would say if he knew just how big my stash is though!! He does like it when I have earned enough selling my things to remodel another room in the house! My crafting so far has earned enough to remodel 2 bedrooms and the dinningroom :yay

Deb in

FINALLY cooler WI

My husband toleraters it, but has started making faces whenever I open my closet that holds my craft stash. Sometimes he does think I have too much time on my hands, but I ask him what would he do all day while watching two little kids. Surf the net? Bah! He does show interest in the final outcome though and he really likes the blanket that he requested I crochet for him.

My Mom used to sew and crochet. She doesn't anymore, since she has run out of places to put doilies and people to give them to. :lol She was always a frugal crafter. That is buying supplies for one project, finishing it, and then buying stuff for the next project. She thinks I'm crazy with my packrat tendencies.

My mother in law thinks it's great. She tends to switch hobbies often and appreciates hand made things. She's quite a craft supply collector too and I tend to benefit from that. ;)

Out in public, I've never had an odd comment on my crochet yet. People look at me, but no one has really commented to me personally.

My family is mostly supportive and loves the finished projects, but I think they have some ambivalence about it. I recently relapsed in my crochet and yarn addiction after not having much time for it after having my twins (now 15), so it seems new to them. My husband and son both asked for their own afghans after I completed a "family" one last year, and my daughter loves the Fun Fur scarf I made for her, telling me her friends, who loved it, couldn't believe her mom made it. I think she was a bit proud, but wouldn't admit that to me (she's 15, and moms are a clueless annoyance at that age).

I take my crochet everywhere with me when I can, but my husband once begged me to leave my crochet in the car when I brought it in with me while waiting in the dentist's office. I asked him why, and he said that it made me look like an old lady (I brought it in with me anyway :) ). He's since seen it all over, and I think he now believes me that crochet is cool again and not an "old lady" hobby.

My kids used to tease me, but stopped when their friends commented on some "cool stuff" I made for them, and when all the kids started wearing the new, cool scarves, hats and bags. My daughter decided that I have "summer and winter hobbies," (I also garden) and has been reminding me all summer that I've been mixing up my seasonal hobbies :)

My hubby accepts me crocheting. Like some of the rest, its the only way I will sit and watch Stargate Sg1 with him. I even bought him all the seasons on dvd so he could watch them, and I could crochet;)

My grandmas ( both 80 +) still crochet. My mother does not. And I really dont think understands why I do. I taught my SIL so, my brother deals with our nasty habit as well.. LOL.

Out in public, people are amazed it seems that people still crochet. I always get nice comments. It really draws attention, it seems.

:hook

I'll actually probably wind up making him mittens or gloves because it's impossible to find gloves to fit him that don't cost an arm and a leg (he's 6'6")

that's funny, my hubby is also 6'6" and i'm way down here at 5'2" lololol. how tall are you?

"He does like it when I have earned enough selling my things to remodel another room in the house! My crafting so far has earned enough to remodel 2 bedrooms and the dinningroom :yay"

What!!! What do you sell, for how much and where!!!!!???? :eek

I crochet as a business, (Although I've never yet had the success mentioned above) ;) so I have an excuse for it. ;) Everyone is pretty supportive. My grandpa gives me a hard time sometimes, but that's things like asking me what afghanistany I'm working on now, or why I didn't charge more for an item. :P I love him.

Grandma is always giving me Michaels and Joanns coupons and telling me about new items she saw. (She called this morning and said that she had bought a neat scarf to show me. To see if I can duplicate it)

The most trouble I have, is my Mom. :lol She is always hinting that: Oh That would look so pretty out on my little table!! Or: Emily would love that afghan!! :D I love making things for people, but being a giving person doesn't mix with a business very well.

I don't have my full license yet (:eek:P ) But My Dad and brother have both been known to (Frequently) run into Michaels or Joanns and get the yarn I need.

I do get a lot of comments like: you don't see young people doing that now adays! and of course, Whatcha knitting? :blush Oh well. :hook :hook :hook :hook

And time wise, at family get together's if I don't bring something to work on while playing games, something is wrong! I do get teasing there. And I always have something to do during movies. A lot of the time I have, I squeeze in!!!

Amber

I have never had a problem with any of my crafting and everyone is very supportive.

But then my Mom had a yarn store in Southern maryland when i was in elementary school.

Arts and crafts are just in the blood I guess. I sometimes wonder if I do crafts for fun or because I don't know how not to LOL.

Be blessed

Mickie

I've got pretty much the same story as others! lol. Eye rolling, my husband asks why I can't just watch tv. I tell him about my crochet groups, etc! I get really excited when I start / finish something new, or do a new stitch! He jokingly calls me a nerd. that's ok. I am :dance I have tonns of books and yarn of course. lol, i've even got a ball of yarn in the glove box of the car. (hook is in another project though!)

My crafts come in handy. i plan on making lots of christmas presents by crocheting this year. Last year when money was tight, I sewed my son some polar fleece mittens! He loves them, and even wore them at the end of the school year to out of school care. He's proud that I make lots of stuff!

my husband has a hard time understanding why I start a project, and then start another one. I had to explain that that's the way it is for crafters. Also, that once you get a good start on a project, it's hard to stop!

I just keep it all to myself anymore! My hubby thinks I'm a complete nut job! He thinks it's rude that I crochet while I sit and talk to my neighbor. She doesn't care why should he???

as a lefty,that just learned on my own in jan of this year. they all made fun of me and the way i hold my yarn and hook but they are now accepting it as i just got a blue ribbon on a rose colored crochet blouse.this week end at the local county fair here in tennessee.

Well, I don't fit the sterotype alot of people have about crocheters. I am pierced, tatooed, listen to heavy metal/hard rock and have always been a math & science person. I work in accounting for the largest wireless company in the US and I call it like I see it. When I first brought in a baby blanket for a co-worker's baby shower everyone asked where I bought it or who made it. No one belived it was me. When I first started my fiance said "What are you doing, only old women do that". Excuse me?!?!?!? I am 29 but I still get carded for cigarettes (thanks for the genes Mom!) and have yet to get into a bar w/o showing ID. A year later I have people at work commisioning me to make blankets for their pregnant friend/sister/cousin/etc and my fiance has asked me to make him a blanket he can take to the the local college football games in the school colors. I told him I would need to see if I could find orange yarn, the next day there were 5 skiens sitting on the couch when I got home from work. If you just ignore any not-so-positive comments and throw in the occasional "stick it!" people's attitudes can be changed!

I quess in some ways I am luckier than most as my DH is totally supportive of me and my crocheting, Never begrudges the time I put into it and never complains about me needing more thread.

It's everyone else that doesn't seem to give a hoot or look at me like I've lost my mind and how can I worry about something so stupid as crocheting. They don't seem to realize it is a part of who I am. If I couldn't create someway I would be miserable. I used to paint but found with my lifestyle and job that crocheting was a better avenue for my creativity. I can pickup and put down a piece of crochet work much easier than start, stopping on a painting.

My friends and the rest of my family just tolerate my bad habit. I used to work so hard making christmas presents for them all, but not any longer. They never appreciate the time and effort I put into it so why bother. It is their loss. Maybe I'll do McDonald gift certificates this year. At least I will know they will be used.

Well, I would like to moan that I'm so misunderstood, but on the whole people think it's really cool.

My sister and mum call me Nana Nat because I crochet, but they're only joking and I always remind Mum that she was constantly knitting baby clothes at my age (23 years). She says that back when the world was black and white every female had to knit!!

So, I do get a little bit teased, but that's the way it is in my family.

When I crochet in public, I get a really good response. The other volunteers at my call centre are always asking what I'm making now. They all thought it was weird when they met me, but now they see it as part of me.

Archived