What do your friends and family think about your crochet enthusiasm??

My aunt was tickled pink when I took it back up (I'd done a little when I was a child in the 70s when it was popular). She crocheted many an afghan but doesn't have much time anymore, and she gave me her crochet hook collection, which meant a lot to me. My mother is enjoying being the beneficiary of the hats and scarves I make. Not many folks here like them as it's dreadfully hot most of the time, but she says her hair is thinning, so she wears them more often in the few months it does get cold.

When I took it back up, I starting making my DH a simple double-crochet afghan in his favorite color. Once I started that, my 9-yr-old son wanted one too. I told him he could pick the color and showed him a pattern book (since I was ready to try something a bit more complicated), but he wanted one just like his stepdad's, same stitch but his favorite color. So everyone's good with it, and I can double crochet with the best of 'em now! I need something to keep me sane, and this hobby is cheap (well relatively anyway), safe, and I'll always have something to learn so I won't get bored easily with it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crocheting is about the most normal thing I do.:lol My family is totally cool with it. I working on the fan bookmark, the pattern on cupcake's blog, and it took me three hours to finish the first fan (using a 1.25mm hook for my first thread project and second crochet project ever: how hard could that be?:lol) and I told my dad "when I finish this, its going to be a $50 bookmark!" Wait, can't forget the 10cents worth of thread: $50.10. Luckily the second fan is going alot faster (so far).

I picked up crochet so I would have something to do between classes. When you have 20 minutes between classes, that's not even time to study (unless cramming for a test which of I never do:P) but plently of time to get booooored. I'm sure when the fall semster starts I'll get alot of strange looks. Not alot of electrical engineering students that crochet.

My mom was the crocheter of the family, so when I took it up, she was very excited. I like the looks that people give me when I do it in public. Some smile, some look confused, mystified. It can be interesting how people react.

My husband doesn't mind so much. He is however concerned that the yarn multiplies at night time. :) If he only knew the truth. The rest of my family just rolls their eyes. Until they want something made. Then I just roll my eyes. I've taught a couple of my cousins and my best friend how to crochet so they are pretty supportive.

• 3 weeks later...

my husband says it has gone from a hobby to an addiction,,, and is taking over the house...but that is ok because we never buy shower gifts any more he expects me to have something made up and always tells everyone that i made it.. my friends at work all love what i make and my mother thinks she needs something made every year for her Christmas gift.. my goal is to one day have enough ornaments made to cover my entire tree at the holidays

noone in my family seems to mind. we all have something that we do since we don't watch TV anymore. I crochet, my husband makes jewelry, my oldest son writes and reads and the younger one reads and play video games!

everybody is happy!

i knit and crochet but the reactions generally the same so im combineing them

Well, they know I'm strange, but that has nothing to do with my crocheting. :lol

lol thats totally me too

mom- not fond of the stash (hey its only 1 tote!!), still cant tell the difference between knit and crochet, thinks i have too many UFO's (which i do...), but she trys to be supportive

she asks what im working on, is sometimes interested, shes proud of what i can do, and even asked me to make a baby blanket for her friend

grandmom- taught me, proud of what i can do, but also doesnt like the stash and ufo's

rest of the family- in general they think its cool

friend and her sister- they knit and want to learn to crochet so they think its cool

one (male) friend wants to learn

most other friends- they generally think its cool and are at least semi-interested in what im doing

most people in yarn shops (even acmoore)- think knitting is above crocheting and look down on me because i do both, and they dont take me seriously because im only 16

dad- he doesnt know about the stash/ufo's because i only have visitations with him... but he thinks its cool because his mom did it

i havent had many bad reactions... mostly just weird looks

Archived