What do your friends and family think about your crochet enthusiasm??

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first attempts that hubby saw, when we were still dating, were pretty ugly, so he wasn't all that for it. Now, that I am ever so much better and actually make money off of it, he even helps me pick out the yarn. My mom makes a lot of afghans, but is happy to leave the more complicated crocheting to me, now. Passed the torch, so to speak. One sister is jelous and tries desperately to crochet like me, but can't really get it. The other sister doesn't have a crafty bone anywhere in her body. The rest of the world is somewhat rude and insensitive about it. I have had varying degrees of rolled eyes, complete disinterest and outright laughing. Nice. I can't recall making fun of their lives, but I guess crocheters are just more polite.

:hook

It seems like alot of us need something to keep our hands busy. I have no interest in watching TV and can't sit still to do it but now that I crochet, I can sit through a movie.

It seems like a lot of people have family members that crochet. I don't have any crafty people in my family.

Also, it seems to be that people have a stereo-type that its just for "old people"...

Also, do you have people ask you what you are "knitting"? It's not knitting-- its crochet!

Or people say...

"I just don't have time to do stuff like that!"

You have time to do what you want to have time to do!

In general though it sounds like most of you are surrounded by very supportive and encouraging people! Your lucky!!!

LOL! Yeah, and what's the deal with people when they act like that! Like they just caught you doing something obscene or something!!!:heehee

<<The weird looks generally come from younger people, but just the other day outta the corner of my eye I noticed a young guy (maybe 15-17 yrs old) on the bus sitting next to me kept checking out what I was working on, and would quickly look away when I'd look over at him, lol.>>

My family thinks it's great. They think I'm crafy anyway and I've been crocheting since I was a teen they are used to it and like it. They've never had a bad word about any of my hobbies.

My first husband was okay with it too I'm guessing since he never said anything otherwise. I used to take it fishing because he liked to fish and I didn't so it gave me something to do besides reading, and be with him.

My current husband and his family love what I make. They aren't used to it because there's not been anyone crafty in their family for awhile.

When I was a teen my step dad used to tease me about it and told me I was a 'granny', especially when I'd wrap up in a blanket. I know it was loving though. I crack up when I think about making me a shawl knowing it would have made him laugh if he was still alive.

All the women in my family crochet, they think I am odd because I knit and crochet. My husband thinks I am not paying attention to the TV when I am crocheting or knitting and cannot understand why I read and do it to.

Amanda:hook

Everyone is pretty supportive. I taught my step-daughter to crochet and she's working on a few projects. In fact, she said that she'd want to partake (if her crazy busy schedule allows) in a winter swap! Hubby doesn't mind that I crochet when we watch movies. Actually, he'll rewind parts I've missed because I'm so focused on my project. LOL

He DOES complain about storage space A LOT because we really have NONE - but he hasn't singled out my yarn stash as a major culprit yet.....so I'm just buying some time. Ugh, but wait til he sees my last eBay purchase!!

He likes that I have hobbies as long as they stay somewhat "contained" -- I used to take over the dining room table with my jewelry making. I keep active WIP's in baskets and my other stuff is in my closet. And of course, I carry a bag with me at all times, too! Since crocheting is cheaper than most of my other hobbies, I really don't think he minds much.

Family is all cool with it too --- they are always wanting homemade treats -- I just wish I had more time to invest in making afghans and bigger stuff for them. Right now they have to settle with dishclothes. LOL

oh yea i get that all the time:haha , i hate it when i tell people i crochet, they just see it as a "grannies" hobby.:think

and when i get exited about "yarn" its even worse LOL

i take it we are all yarn fanatics and its not just me :blush

My parents think I waste too much money on yarn. My boyfriend generally doesn't have a problem with yarn being everywhere in our apartment, but he accuses me of not paying attention whenever I crochet while watching TV or a movie. But he grew up with lots of family members who crochet or knit, so he grudgingly accepts my hobby.

:soap I so don't get the "too much time on your hands" and "no life" comments that people have gotten. What gives other people the right to judge how we choose to spend OUR free time? What do these same people do with the same amount of free time? Watch TV? Is that somehow better than crocheting? That makes me so mad.

Nobody has ever given me a hard time for crocheting, I don't think. Hubby isn't interested in needlecrafts himself but is generally impressed. A while back I showed him something I'd made and he said he still can't believe I can make all this stuff out of string :D There was a little bit of eye-rolling from his direction when I started with the doilies, but he was suitably impressed with how they turned out, to the point that when my stepdaughter came home recently (she was away most of the summer and then just moved into her first apartment) he made a point of showing them off to her :manyheart

Hello everyone - I love this thread - it's fun to hear about everyone's experiences as a crocheter.

I just started crocheting in January of 2005. Within two months I had cranked out 8 hats and 4 scarves. All of the hats were made for my boyfriend's mother, who is battling lung cancer and had lost her hair from chemotherapy. I made them out of Lion Brand Chenille Thick 'n' Quick.

My mom crochets a little bit, just small Christmas wreath ornaments. But I have a ripple afghan that was made for me as a baby by one of her friends, and I always loved that afghan. I used to poke my fingers in the holes between the stitches.

Most people think it's cool. The hilarious thing (in relation to the "you must have lots of time" assumption) is that I work full-time and am also pursuing my Master's in Business Administration in HR management in the evenings. So it's obvious that I really love to crochet since I can fit it in between work, school, homework, and personal life!

I am a certified "crochet addict" after only 6 months or so. I absolutely love it. My mom, sister, and boyfriend all think it's cool - and my sister has even requested a couple of items. I am currently making an afghan for my boyfriend as a Christmas gift.

Older women have really thought it's great that I crochet. A lot of them seemed surprised that someone my age (33) is so into crocheting.

Along with the growing pile of yarn and patterns, I have to say that crocheting has really given me a way to focus and relax from all the stress in my life.

People who think it's weird, or for grannies, or whatever, are really missing out! Crocheting is awesome, and you can make so many useful things.

:bounce

Hilarie

I take my crochet with me EVERYWHERE, guess that's the same as everyone else. A couple weeks ago I went to a party (more of a BBQ get together really) and I brought my crochet with me. Most people are used to it, so they didnt say anything but when I posted on my blog about crocheting at a party one of my friends posted "you brought your crocheting to a party? how strange". It was pretty funny!

What an interesting thread. I started to crochet just in June. I have been knitting since January (my mom taught me) and there was so much I wanted to do that knitting would not permit me. Sooo...off to JoAnn's I went to buy the "Crochet Made Easy" Cd-rom. What a find! I've been constantly working since. I've finished more dishcloths than I can count, 4 baby blankets and several other small projects since then. (not to forget the 28 granny squares I have done for the swap) I'm a fast worker and I've always needed my hands busy. I've also lost 10 pounds since starting needlework, as my hands are busy with yarn, not food!

As for what other's think, my daughter likes that I make her stuff, but shows no interest. My son wants to learn. My mom is telling me how proud she is of me. I don't have a hubby.

People at church...well, depends on the person. The teen girls and most the women are fascinated or appreciative. Several of the men give me a hard time, but in fun. I've been knitting or crocheting during service since January. Pastor doesn't mind at all. He knows I'm paying attention. I usually am up in the sound booth or in the middle of a row, so not many can see me.

What I truly enjoy is I have something I can do when I'm confined to bed. One can only watch so much TV or read so much. And I feel like I'm getting something done, even then.

my husband just mutters about me never being able to sit still without anything in my hands lol

lol...I would take that as a complement. No body at my house complains. that is until i have to use my 16 year old son to model something for me, to size the item, or see how it looks. he HATES that! lol. specially that frilly stuff. he says "you're never going to tell anybody about this! right?" i just told him "if you only knew how good this looks on you!" if i dont get sufficient "ooo's and ahhh's" at home, I'll just take the project to work and show it off. :)

"I just don't have time to do stuff like that!"

You have time to do what you want to have time to do!

Too true.

It's also true that people WASTE so much more time than they are aware of. People who are truly busy are usually the kind of people where you run out of breath listing the things they're involved in. Most "busy" people just don't want to take the time out of their day to do something.

My friends think I'm loony. It's because I'm a yarn junkie, they don't quite understand my facination/love of yarn. They always politely pretend to be interestd in my projects though. My DH is realy supportive. My 3 yr old daughter loves it and is always asking for a new hat or a new blanket!:lol

Myndie

My family thinks I ma weird that I crochet everywhere. My boyfriend fathers side of his family don't care but then again his step-mom crochets, knits, and sews. His Mothers side don't seem to mind either. Now my boyfriend just loves that I am doing something with my hand so I not complaining to fidgeting around. I have given some items i have made out a gift and most all have loved what I gave them. I only had my sister and her husband not like a gift I gave them (so I won't make then anything else). I love my cocheting I really don't care what others think. As long as I am happy and doing something with my hand all is well :manyheart

My husband is supportive unless it cuts into his time or that he thinks is his time. My friends & family don't really know how much I do or they would think it's a waste of time or that I have too much time on my hands......well I say to myself " I do housework or I crochet.....let me think" guess what mostly wins out:haha Oh well......

Maria

My mom keeps giving me a list of items she would like me to make her. As for other family members they feel that I should be doing "more useful things" with my time. I am not someone that can just sit and watch t.v. I always crochet while I watch t.v. I get so involved with a project that when it comes close to finishing it, I will stay up all night just to get it done. What can I say, I have an addiction and it is called crocheting.:D :D

The really funny thing about people who think you should be doing something "better" with your time is that many of them probably plop in front of the TV for a couple hours each night - and don't do anything else!

Besides, you can actually MAKE things with crochet - useful things like bags, hats, socks, afghans, and things people can actually use!

Too many people forget that not that long ago, everything was handmade - i.e. hats, socks, blankets, etc. So we're just carrying on the knowledge, and we're prepared if the world is suddenly thrown back a few centuries by some disaster or industrial meltdown!

:2spin

Hilarie

My hubby is impressed with my crochet and is very supportive. He even offers suggestions about color and sizes! My Dad's family is rather crafty and my Grandmother and Aunt just love everything I make. So I make them something every Christmas.

My mom, however, grew up very, very poor and she firmly believes that if you want something you should buy it brand-new at the store. I don't make her anything due to the overwhelming un-appreciation she shows about anything "home-made". But she has mentioned that she might want a purple and red poncho to wear to her Red Hat meetings. (I'm thinking of doing the Peach Sensations Poncho in purple with red fringe and a big red rose.)

My friends love it and I've sold several purses and little girl's ponchos! And I'm already getting asked what my Christmas projects with be this year.

I'm enjoying reading about the responses that everyone else gets. Good question!

Archived