summerysmile

What do your friends and family think about your crochet enthusiasm??

Do any of you have any family members or friends that think you are just a tad "strange" because of your crochet hobby? Do you ever get the feeling they are talking behind your back and saying you are taking this too far? Especially if you have a "crochet blog"...."you have a "CROCHET" blog?????":think

my boyfriend hates it. It gets annoyed because i like to watch tv and crochet. he thinks if i'm going to watch tv i should just watch tv. They think i'm obessed but i'm really not. i have many hobbies. its just one of my hobbies i can do almost anywhere

Well, they know I'm strange, but that has nothing to do with my crocheting. :lol My husband knows that keeping me happy contributes to his happiness, and my mother & MIL both crochet as well. My husband is, in fact, intrigued enough by it that eventually he'll sit down and learn, it's just a matter of time. My three-and-a-half-year-old can already make chains with a little help; I am certain she will demand to be taught as soon as she has the manual dexterity for it--and I am equally certain learning how slowly will help with said dexterity.

I'm kinda surprised you don't find more acceptance of it, Lisa. I've talked with a lot of people on base & such and crochet seems to be a very Texan thing. Several of the crochet magazines, in fact, come out of east Texas; I'm pretty sure that's where Annie's Attic is headquartered. (Yep, they're just northeast of Tyler.) I've had a couple of people tell me they were taught to crochet by a Texan. Not that it isn't popular elsewhere, of course, it's just that it seems to have not faded away back home.

Except for mom's occaisional request for towel toppers, no one pays any attention. My husband liked my crocheting. He even bought me yarn. Think that was because the only way to get me to sit still for 2 hours & watch a movie with him was if I was crocheting :)

Alosha

It's probably because when I picked it up...I really picked it up! I've only been crocheting since Oct 04. One minute I don't crochet and the next I have a crochet blog! ("You have a CROCHET blog?" - "Boy, she REALLY likes to crochet") I figure when everyone gets used to idea and sees its not a passing fancy, it will get better. It almost seems like people avoid talking about it with me...when I mention something I'm doing...they just say "Oh"....and no, I don't really talk about it that much. I know that people who don't like to crochet don't want to talk about that. I'm just talking about mentioning something I am working on. I guess I just expected people to ooh and ahh a little more when I startedt this hobby, even if its just to be polite! ...not happening in my world!!

My husband is very accepting of it and doesn't mind at all...even glad that I have something I enjoy doing. He doesn't even mind my yarn collecting!

Anyway, I was just curious what everyone's experiences with others were about this!

my husband just mutters about me never being able to sit still without anything in my hands lol

my husband just mutters about me never being able to sit still without anything in my hands lol

I resemble that remark :lol

My mother has no problem with it, my grandmother crocheted and Mom did too for awhile and then put it down. Husband is just awesome, he teased me about it at first then he saw the things I can make with it and now I think he's secretly proud.. he has no problem with "the stash" getting spread all over the living room and he's even put in a request for a nice thick, warm scarf for this winter. I'll actually probably wind up making him mittens or gloves because it's impossible to find gloves to fit him that don't cost an arm and a leg (he's 6'6") I do think he is starting to have anxiety attacks when I mention the words "trip to" and "yarn store" in the same sentence :lol:lol

My girls both are taking it up and learning so I'm proud of them. It's truthfully something to keep my hands busy and doing something.. I cann't sit down anywhere without working on something though (including the theatre :hook )

Well I have started a whole trend of things with just my crocheting...

David understands my crocheting and encourages it, his mother did and he did as well when he was younger (he claims he's too old to restart it but I'm working on him hehe)he understands how special things handmade are etc so I am lucky. He does tease me though when we are going somewhere and I am crocheting but it's in good fun. His daughter-in-law has me teach her a little bit everytime I see her (which isn't very often since they are in VA)

My crochet blog started several others by people I know. Including, hubby, his best friend, my best friend, and now hubby's son has started one. lol

I've had a few of my husband's friends think it was a little odd, but other than that no one else seems to care or think me odd at all. Of course, I work at a craft store, and teach crochet there, so everyone there is just as crafty. My family thinks it's great because they get nice afghans and stuff from me, and my husband is glad that I have something to entertain myself while he plays online games (like World of Warcraft) with his friends.

Though, I have -many- hobbies and interests... crochet is only one of them. I get much weirder looks and comments from my choice in pets -- I keep rats as pets, and run a web site and online forum to help others care for them. :D

You know, I don't get a lot of negative comments, but when I show someone something I've made, they seem to think I have too much time on my hands. I hate that!

My husband calls me a freak...but in a loving way:P

You know, I don't get a lot of negative comments, but when I show someone something I've made, they seem to think I have too much time on my hands. I hate that!

That's the one obstacle that I've had to overcome too. I constantly have to defend how much I finish. Even when I was a teen in high school (pulling a 3.85 gpa...proving I studied enough) my mom would question how much time I had on my hands because of how much crochet I would do.

I even had someone comment on my blog that I obviously have no life. LOL - hello? :hook

My husband affectionately calls me the "crotchetville queen" and the "yarn kook", but it's all in fun. He's glad I have a hobby, but I think the yarn stash is getting to him. My mother, who never did any crafts in her life, thinks I'm crazy, but happily accepts all I make and also gets me to make baby gifts for her. She's also sold a few items I have made at her job. My daughter has named the recliner "the crochet chair" and yes, the blogging and crocheting makes them all scratch their heads. It could be worse though.....

My husband is totally accepting and even intrigued. I was making the square for the 63 Squares CAL and showed it to him when I was finished. He was like, "Yeah..." and then I pointed out the stitch pattern actually made it look woven and then he was like, "Yeah! That's cool!" It's fascinating to him how one can use a different size hook or more strands held together and get a completely different fabric.

I've been dropping hints that a lot of manly men like to crochet and knit because there is some math and calculation involved. Give me one more year and I'll have him hooking, too. ;)

He doesn't mind my yarn buys or stash (I've successfully got it hidden in plastic totes, but he has seen it all), because he sees me using it and enjoying it. And I think he's figured out that it's cheaper than therapy.:lol

In fact, I've not met any criticism with this hobby from anyone at work or home. When I was into 60's vintage doll collecting, it was another story. I got some really strange looks and comments about how a grown woman shouldn't play with dolls. (And I wasn't playing with them anyway! I was cleaning them up and dressing them properly, so :neener:nahnah !)

A grown woman playing with yarn doesn't bother them so much.:hook

My fiance doesn't get it at all, but fortunately he hasn't said one word about the ever-growing yarn stash. And actually he's gone from being totally disinterested in what I'm working on and grunting at best if I try to show him something, to occasionally displaying some real interest in it. He was intrigued by the round ripple afghan and absolutely fascinated by the thread snowflakes I did recently. Maybe there's hope for him!

My adult son, who is temporarily back at home, is another story. He's REALLY interested in both the yarn (the different textures and weights and look/feel of it) and the process of turning said yarn into something useful, and has actually asked me about various stitches as I've been working. I predict that he'll be crocheting before he moves out, although he may have to hide it from his friends ;)

My mother thinks i'm putting too much of my money in this hobby. My sister thought at first that i'm crazy about it before she thought we can make money out of it. Some friends too think that i'm crazy about it, but most think that it's a great hobby i do. my girlfriends in the christian community i'm in think that we should raise funds by selling small items. i'm glad that they showed some support for me!:cheer

Fe

My husband doesn't really mind at all, as long as I'm happy. My mom and a good portion of my family knits and/or crochets, so they really don't care one way or another.

My husband's family on the other hand ... :) They're all impressed by what I can make (and if they don't recognize that something is handmade, my husband is the first to point it out!), but they really dont want me bringing my crochet to work on during family events. They just don't seem to think it's "done" to work on it in public (since when is family "public"?!). So I just don't. It's easier that way.

I get a few stares on the bus, but there's usually someone loonier than me to take away the attention. :) When I sometimes shut my office door to work on something at lunch, I'll invariably get someone knocking on my door to see what I'm doing (ignoring the fact, of course, that I closed the door because I wanted privacy!).

My family does not have a problem with my crochet. Neither do my friends. In fact, if they see me without work in my hands, they can tell something's wrong. :):hook. We spend lots of time at our church - hubby is in charge of the worship team and I'm always up there crocheting. I even got permission a couple of years ago to crochet during the sermon. I didn't think it would be a problem, but wanted to make sure I got the permission in case some busy-body said something to me. The pastor's response was, "of course you can." Same thing in this case, if someone there notices I'm NOT crocheting, they usually figure something's wrong.

My family is fairly supportive, although my sisters do whisper behind my back about what I am making...of course after asking what I am going to make next for their kids! My mum thinks that its cool, and my Grandmother breaks down in tears whenever she see something that I have done.

In my Dad's own words from a recent e-mail he sent me after he spent an hour on the phone giving me a hard time because I crochet:

I have no real problem with your past time especially since you enjoy it and seem to be making a lot of nice friends because of it. AND you do very nice work. You put time and effort into it. And in the end you have something usually very useful to show for it. In other words my Daughter like everything you tackle you put your whole self into it and give it 120% effort. See even more than a 100 or 110 percent. Also did I mention you STICK to it and see it thru. Like ALWAYS I marvel at your talents and abilities.

In the next phone conversation with him he spent an hour explaining that his Great-Granny Crocheted, so he had always just assumed that crocheting was done by "little old ladies with large hook noses and warts" which is what his Great-Granny looked like in his 4 year old mind! But that it was cool that his daughter was doing something that his grannies did, and even better that it was keeping me out of the bars and off the streets! :lol Don't think that I should tell him that I took a small crochet project to the bar two weeks back to watch a soccer match! :lol

Wow, I am amazed that so many people are supportive of crochet.

My family is, well, not so much. They usually think it's a waste of time (and I get that "you have too much time" a lot as well). My guy knows I enjoy it and accepts that, but with the looks he gets on his face, it's obvious he can't understand why I do it. (Althoug he's been impressed with some of my FOs). I think he feels a little weird about me doing it in public (like on the bus with him), but I understand that.

I don't get why it's got such a negative vibe to non-crafty/artsy people.

I come from a family of crafters, so when it comes to my side of the family no one gives me any grief, heh. My mom was always trying some new craft when I was a kid and I was generally there, squeezed in between the table and her trying my best to see what she was doing. My dad had his share of creative hobbies as well, wood-working, scrimshaw, airbrushing, etc.

My husband was a lil' weirded out by it at first. His mom crochets the occasional baby blanket or dishcloth but that's it. He said he wasn't used to someone "my age" crocheting. But a half a dozen beanies and a dozen socks later..... he's perfectly content to let me crochet through a 2-hour movie. He's just now starting to understand my need to be constructive/productive even during my free time, LOL.

I get the occassional wierd look on the bus or when I'm outside on my lunch break, but what do I care? I don't know these people and if I do... they're just going to have to deal with me the way I am, LOL. I see no reason to feel ashamed of crocheting where ever I wanna.

The weird looks generally come from younger people, but just the other day outta the corner of my eye I noticed a young guy (maybe 15-17 yrs old) on the bus sitting next to me kept checking out what I was working on, and would quickly look away when I'd look over at him, lol.

The older ladies are funny too because they always say the same thing... "You don't see many young girls doing needlework any more..." I generally just smile and leave it be, when what I really feel like doing is going on a rant about what most other girls "my age" are doing with their time INSTEAD of something like crochet, LOL. (Doh! :blush Now I've done it, I sound like a great big prude, heh.)

Most of my co-workers don't get my "severe interest" as one of them put it but they all like seeing my WIPs and finished items. I've even gotten a few requests for items. :)

except for my mom (who crochets) and my husband. Everyone else thinks I am weird about my crocheting! I could talk about it for hours! That is why I have a blog and all of you!! :ghug

Most people still don't even know what a blog is!!

Weellll, when I 'fessed up about my growing yarn stash to my sister, she burst out laughing and said "You can tell we're related!" and 'fessed up about her scrapbooking stash. Our mom sewed all our clothes while we were growing up, and she loved material--would just buy yards of something because it was pretty. She still has yards and yards of material in the drawers of the china buffet and the sideboard inthe dining room and the dresser in her sewing room. Genetic stashing gene at work! :lol Now I'm curious what my other sister is stashing...

My friend T is a yarn stasher, too (she's a knitter). Another friend likes to cross stitch, but hasn't done it in a while. So most of the people I know really appreciate handmade things, even if they may or may not like a particular method (the sterotypical 'crochet is for old ladies' thing).

Patty

Just like with any craft or art, if you do it more than anybody else and you're really good at it people will think you have too much time on your hands. I get the same response about my writing, my friends who do really beautiful comics (excuse me, graphic novels) often get asked why they're wasting their time on a kiddy medium.

My whole family is full of crafty people who have all sort of toiled away in obscurity while the rest of the family functions on as normal. Generally, if dinner is cooked and the laundry is done then nobody complains and is grateful for the handmade presents.

One of my aunts quilts and crochets, another aunt makes soaps and lotions and candles, she quilts and crochets, she can sew and do crosswork/embroidery, and there's a whole BUNCH of other stuff I don't know about I'm sure. My mom does lots of paper crafts, she loooooooves origami and is really good at it. She's good with really useful things. You ain't seen cheese platters until you've seen one of my mom's, LOL

So my family is generally "Oh, okay, another crafter.." and moves on.

My friends...I haven't seen many of my friends, it's summer and school hasn't started up yet. But the friends I HAVE seen have all said "Oh WOW that's so cool!!" and ask if I can make this or that.

Well for me, very few out side my immediate family know that I crochet. OH don't get me wrong.. I don't hide it, it just that I don't get the opportunity to show my works. As for my hubby... he's wonderful about it. He even has tried on all the hats I've made (most look like hair net on him lol) and has offered his oppinion on colours for a ghan I'm making for his mom. He is the type to give me what I want even when we can't always afford it, so I keep quiet unless I really REALLY want it. And our Daughter Kayla is wonderful. She goes throught patterns with me (looking for stuff she'd like) late at night. Although she hasn't shown much interest in the actuall crocheting, she loves to see what I create.

I haven't told my Grandma yet, but want to wait until I send what I made for her and surprize her. I hope to do that ASAP, but may wait until my Mom comes to visit and send it with her.