Our House [Archive 2]

JulieKay

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH, you are ASSuming that I have a life outside of these boards. WRONG!!! I read every inch of these boards (well, pretty much just the CALs...) and you can run but you can't hide!!!

By the way, first Gravy, then Oreos, and now Duct Tape and Granny Thongs...

Methinks you just have a rowdy bunch here. Always gonna be skirting that line, but never quite crossing it! LOL!

Hey guys, could you give me some advice? (STUPID QUESTION!!)

My daughter is willing to weave ends for me, and wonders why I do it the way I do. So, does this sound like overkill to you?

First of all, I work over the starting end all the way around. To weave it I just catch one thread to anchor it and stick the needle back through that center circle about halfway around once and cut. Simple enough.

Let's see if I can describe the other end. I go through the next stitch, weave down that middle dc, go through the 'base' of the two clusters, catch a stitch, then go back through the cluster bases and cut.

Reasonable? Enough? Not enough? This blankie is gonna be the one everyone piles under to watch TV, make tents in the livingroom, etc. It's gonna take a beating and frequent washing.

I am open to your collective wisdom!

Julie B it does sound a bit overkill with the weaving but then each to their own. We all have our own way of doing this tedious job and we want to make sure that the ends dont come out. I guess if your daughter wants to do it her way then its up to you whether thats ok or show her how you want it done.

Julie

It sounds like you are weaving the ends in the proper way, but if your daughter wants to weave them some more, let her go ahead ! It'll give her something to do if she gets bored, I guess . :lol

Krystal-- yea, we HEAR you little miss innocent . :yes

Hi, Julie B...

I already had the experience of cutting the yarn for my first "saltine" in the watercolor because it started with the Aran-type color! I want the others - so there will be a bit of cutting going on:D

And weaving in of ends: see how she does it and if it doesn't leave you wanting to go in right afterwards and do a "better" job of it!:lol

I probably have a bit of overkill in my method:yes ...don't want anything to come out!

Yea , Leslie

We certainly wouldnt want Krystal to have a meltdown -- and I am going to be getting threats of getting beat up in a dark alley if she doesn't remove ARNOLD soon, so I am aiming high -- this sounds STUPID, I know, but I'd like to have that WB done by Monday. Let's see if I can pull THAT off . It'll be a tall order to fill, but I can TRY . I still have 4 complete blocks to make squares for , other than the white, they are done , and one more block that needs about half of one color then it'll be ready to assemble .

Now that I have my mind on a new afghan, i want this one D O N E . :lol

I think it is very pretty, though !

I'm gonna give it to my Dr. She is the best Dr I have ever had and is so sweet and patient . She deserves a reward of some kind. :manyheart

Julie B "big newtons" so cute :lol I do a little more than you on my ends. I weave the same but go through it once more after that. My first quilt I was reweaving in ends for two weeks. I don't want to do that again.

Tabby and Julie you two are so funny and sure do keep us in good spirits.

Julie, you are really doing good on the WB :yes

Thanks Donna

I am kinda like the "TURTLE" of the group. You guys are all leaving me in the dust on this project, but I am slowly and steadily trying to GIT R DONE .

Guess you can't expect SPEED from a DUCT TAPE GRANNY, though, can you ?

:grumpy

Good morning ladies :flower

Julie - Don't worry. You'll get that WB done yet :hug You're a busy lady, ya know. Keeping us in line alone takes most of the day :lol

Julie B - Way I weave mine is pretty much like Donna does. In through one group, run the needle back on itself. Then I do the same thing with an adjoining group of stitches. Hmmm, I kinda overkill too don't I? :think:lol Like Wendy said though. Let her try and if you can tolerate it welcome the help. Personally, I can't let anyone else wash my dishes because they don't do it "right" :lol Anything else doesn't bother long as it gets done but I'm picky about those dishes :lol

Well, off to work on the Ducky some more today :hook

Have a happy day everyone :manyheart

Morning, all. Kim & I are just getting our day going. It's sunshiny for the first day in a while. John gets home late afternoon. Yeah!!!

Julie B, I don't think your method is overkill. I do even more. I just DON'T want the ends to come undone, so I weave in a good three inches most of the time on all but the very center. I usually have the yarn going around the middle two full circles.

Cara, I'm fussy on my handwork, and how my club aluminum pots and good knives are washed. Other than that, most anybody can help and however they do it is fine.

Julie, you've set yourself an ambitious deadline, but I am sure you can do it if family doesn't interrupt too many times.

:cheer You can do it, Julie!! You can do it!! :cheer

:cheer Make that crochet hook fly, Julie!! You can do it!! :cheer

:cheer Weave those ends, Julie!! You can do it!! :cheer

:cheer Fasten those squares, Julie!! You can do it!! :cheer

:cheer You can do it, Julie!! You can do it!! :cheer

Heather~Jaden walked by & said "go back to blues clues, go back". "That is blues clues". So apparently he loves your avatar. :lol

My DD would too if she ever notices it. Blue is always a hit :lol

Nope, never been a cheerleader, but I sure participated in a lot of cheering from the sidelines when I was in high school. I come from a little community high school where everybody cheered on our sports teams. Football and basketball were huge, especially girls basketball. There were only 57 in my graduating class. Even so we were state champions in girls basketball one of the four years I was in high school and in the top 3 three times. Not bad for a little school that only boasted about 250 kids in the whole 9 - 12 grades. I was in marching band for all the home football games and in pep band for most of the home basketball games. So I got lots of practice cheering. :cheer:yay:cheer

Julie, the Postage Stamp is groups of doubles worked diagonally. I just looked thru my free patterns to find one and couldn't. I've seen them out there. It kinda goes liike this.

Row 1 Ch. 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next 2 ch, turn.

Row 2 Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next 2 ch, sc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 3 dc in ch 2 sp, turn

Row 3 Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next ch-2 space, {sc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 3 dc in ch 2 sp}, repeat across,turn

You keep going like this until you reach the width you want. Each row faces a different direction. Once you get the width you want then start decreasing like this:

SL st in next 3 dc, sl sti in next ch2, ch3, 3 dc in same ch2 sp, {sc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 3 dc in ch 2 sp} repeat across to last ch2, sl st in last ch 2 turn.

Some of the patterns have you slip stitch into the spot where you would ch 2. If you do that you just ch 3. I like the sc version.

Anyway, hope I got that right. It's neat pattern and goes really quickly. I've used it a lot for baby blankets. Once I get the pattern done I use what ever edging comes to mind.

Thanks Donna

I am kinda like the "TURTLE" of the group. You guys are all leaving me in the dust on this project, but I am slowly and steadily trying to GIT R DONE .

Guess you can't expect SPEED from a DUCT TAPE GRANNY, though, can you ?

:grumpy

Julie~I seem to be a turtle, too...slow and steady. ;) You are doing great on your WB! :manyheart

Cara, so glad you've the started the Ducky pattern. I know it's going to be wonderful. :yes

Leslie~I too noticed the postage stamp afghans in your sig. - thanks for sharing the pattern. :)

Hi to everyone else, too. Have a great morning. :hug

Linda

I loved cheering for our teams in high school too. We had pretty good teams ,too, considering how little our town is . I liked football the best ,but basketball was fun too .

Leslie

Thanks for explaining how to do that stitch. I may just have to give it a try here on something soon !

Mary- thanks for the vote of confidence ! :)

Julie, Mary, anytime. Hopefully, I managed to write the pattern out without any major goofs. ;) I sat at the computer air crocheting to remember the pattern. :lol Guess that's like air guitar.

I've been good all morning mopping, doing laundry and other cleaning...and have learned to ignore things I never used to! :blush Looking forward to crochet time this afternoon. :hook

How many times have one of us said "I know I need to finish something before starting a new project?" That's me today - decision time. :eek:D

Julie, the Postage Stamp is groups of doubles worked diagonally. I just looked thru my free patterns to find one and couldn't. I've seen them out there. It kinda goes liike this.

Row 1 Ch. 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next 2 ch, turn.

Row 2 Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next 2 ch, sc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 3 dc in ch 2 sp, turn

Row 3 Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next ch-2 space, {sc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 3 dc in ch 2 sp}, repeat across,turn

You keep going like this until you reach the width you want. Each row faces a different direction. Once you get the width you want then start decreasing like this:

SL st in next 3 dc, sl sti in next ch2, ch3, 3 dc in same ch2 sp, {sc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 3 dc in ch 2 sp} repeat across to last ch2, sl st in last ch 2 turn.

Some of the patterns have you slip stitch into the spot where you would ch 2. If you do that you just ch 3. I like the sc version.

Anyway, hope I got that right. It's neat pattern and goes really quickly. I've used it a lot for baby blankets. Once I get the pattern done I use what ever edging comes to mind.

This sounds like the Diagonal Box Stitch Afghan. Directions at Crochet Cabana http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/diag-box-st.htm

c9d8.jpg

Leslie -- you are the first one I have ever heard of who does AIR CROCHET !!! :lol

By the way, I tried it just to make a start on it, with some SS yarn I had here -- wow, is it pretty ! Nice texture without a lot of bulky feel to it .

UhOh Mary- decisions, decisions --

Do you have it narrowed down to a couple or a whole bunch ?

Need any help deciding ?

Archived