Our House [Archive 2]

JulieKay

Michelle, it may be the same thing, I'm not sure.

I tried doing that pattern many years ago, and wow, did it turn out lopsided when I went to decrease. I don't know where I went wrong, but it sure didnt turn out SQUARE .

I made it for my youngest son when he was about 18 I think. He wanted it anyhow, and still uses it, but it sure looks ratty to me.

I hope I can figure out what I did wrong on that one and not do the same again .

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, JulieKay, you shure up'n got ambitious on us. "And the tortoise surges ahead, taking the lead...." you go girl!

Mary, we'll help out if you need help choosing which WIP to whip. (Five times fast!) Anything that will get us pictures!

Hi, Michelle, don't believe we've met. I really like doing the diagonal box stitch. I haven't done it in baby yarn, but it is very nice in what I call 'ebay chenille'. Mine is sportweight and works up great with a G hook. Definately one of my fallbacks for quick gifts. The square you posted is beautiful!

Ok Ladies, so far I have five votes in the "How much do YOU weave?" debate. (And no, Julie, I am not talking about that field sobriety test after you stole that Mad Dog.) In relation to my description of what I have been doing, I have three categories:

Sounds like overkill: Wendy

Sounds just right: Julie

Sounds like you are gonna have some repairs to do: Judy, Donna, Cara

Anyone else?

Ok Ladies, so far I have five votes in the "How much do YOU weave?" debate. (And no, Julie, I am not talking about that field sobriety test after you stole that Mad Dog.) In relation to my description of what I have been doing, I have three categories:

Sounds like overkill: Wendy

Sounds just right: Julie

Sounds like you are gonna have some repairs to do: Judy, Donna, Cara

Anyone else?

Hi Julie B~I weave exactly like you do but may add another "back through" on the final tail. I want in the Sounds just right category. :lol

Now Julie

It's TAB that does the WEAVING . She just won't stay off the drink. She can't even WALK straight, let alone DRIVE straight .

I wouldn't let her drive a Matchbox car after she starts tipping back a few . :D

I won't be forgiven for that granny duct tape comment anytime soon, huh? :lol

Tab

You were forgiven before you ever said it -- it's all just in fun .

WOW- love the avatar !!!! You must have found some good ones !!! :lol

Thanks Julie. :manyheart The avatar is from google. I just google what I want & wala there it is. ;):lol

I made 15 squares for my next WB this afternoon and worked on another WIP scarf in a cable pattern, too. :yay for me! I'll take the crochet time when I can get it lately! :hook

Time for dinner. Have a good evening. :manyheart

Hi, Michelle, don't believe we've met. I really like doing the diagonal box stitch. I haven't done it in baby yarn, but it is very nice in what I call 'ebay chenille'. Mine is sportweight and works up great with a G hook. Definately one of my fallbacks for quick gifts. The square you posted is beautiful!

I have kinda been lurking here for a while, This and the Round Ripple along were the two threads that drew me here. I have been listening, laughing, and trying to work up courage to start One of Cara's beautiful patterns. I tried to start the windwalker, got discouraged with the darkness of the purple I was trying to work with. I am only 38 but my eyes don't like dark thread or yarn. It was nearly impossible for me to put the squares together. I am still trying to find a color that will match and that I can work with.

Michelle

We'd love to have you join us if you want to. How about trying some of the lighter shades-- say if you are using RH yarn, how about the lt sage, country blue, country rose , you know, colors along that line, that are pretty and would make beautful quilt colors, but aren't dark ,so you could see the stitches better?

Hey Michelle, have you tried the light up hooks? I'm just looking for an excuse to pick one up. I will definately be getting one on the fall- by mid December it is dark by 4PM this far north, and we generally keep the lighting fairly low n our house. I hate feelng like I'm sitting under a spotlight when I use dark yarns, and this might just be the ticket!

Hey Michelle, that's the variation done with the slip stitch instead of the single crochet. Or maybe the single crochet is the variation. :think Anyway, I've always called it a Postage Stamp because it is little squares like a postage stamp. :hook

Julie, I can't believe you haven't heard of air crochet. It's what you do when you are bored, have forgotten your project bag, and are stuck in traffic. :devil:rofl

Evening ladies :hug

Well, I've finished 4 whole rows on Just Ducky thus far. Not bad for 2 days :yay Really need to spend some of my time on the Christmas Goose as well. And some single hook cases for Gifts for Grannies. They're looking for crochet/knit supplies, too.

Michele - I agree. Jump right in if ya like :hug I work with dark colors a lot because I like them. But I also have a lamp on a pole with a bright light in it so I can see what I'm doing :lol Thankfully, it's one of those cool touch flourescent types or I'd have a sunburn :lol

Think I'll wrap it up for today, ladies. Have a good night everyone :manyheart

I vote in the "Just right" category - though I think I might weave just a LITTLE more than that - maybe once more over?

Julie B, Thanks for asking the question. I think I've been doing definite overkill based on the answers you're getting so I've cut back how much I weave to what Krystal is saying above. So I vote with her!

Linda Y

Yay, Linda! Someone else on the west coast! Are we the only ones? I'm a night owl, and I usually just leave the browser on in the evenings while I watch TV. Every few squares I hit the refresh button to see who else is here.

Sharon (my 9yod) wove about 15 squares for me while we watched So You Think You Can Dance. It was really fun, and she should keep me from bogging down too often.

Hi everyone,

I have done another 3 rows on the casa and Im at the halfway point with the verticals now.

Cara your going well with the ducky ghan I cant wait to see a pic.

Michelle welcome to this group. You will enjoy making Cara's patterns they are all awesome.

Mary sounds like your getting heaps of squares made too. well done.

Good morning ladies :flower

Julie B - I'm so glad DD was some help :yay Now if I could just figure out how to talk my nephew or DH into doing that for me :scrachin:lol

Wendy - You're getting there on that Casa! Good for you :hug

Don't think there's enough light yet to take photos so I'll post my progress on the Ducky when there is enough light :yes

Have a happy day everyone :manyheart

Hi, Michele! Welcome to the group! :welcome I really dislike working with dark, dark colors, too, but sometimes I need that darkness to make things pop. So I use LOTS of bright light when I'm working with the dark, dark ones and then I take my bifocals off and bring the squares right up by my nose so I can see what I'm doing. :rofl :rofl :rofl Sad, but, true. Once you can crochet the squares on autopilot, making them's not bad, it's just the tail weaving & joining that you'll have to worry about.

Julie B, congratulations on Sharon's help. Sounds like you have an able assistant there. Of course, she's an honorary member here, too. Welcome, Sharon! :welcome

Wendy you are doing great! You'll soon have your masterpiece done.

I crashed at 8:30 last night and don't feel very awake. Hope I've caught all the typing errors. There were a bunch. I need a strong cup of tea. I'm off to do more joining on the train. Pictures later.

Michele, welcome to the group.

Cara, you are so quick. I can't wait to see the progress so far.

Wendy, you are really coming along on the verticals.

Julie, that's how I spend my nights when hubby is gone. I sit right here and watch tv and refresh after a few rows or squares.:yes

I'm glad your daughter was able to help.

Last night hubby kept me up about an hour longer than I wanted so we could watch Burn Notice and I made 8 more squares. So I have almost all the green done for one block so far.

Archived