Crochet Pattern Central Advise Needed

RachelG

Hello,

First, a quick CPC update:

Cowls and neckwarmers are now in their own separate category (they were originally stuck in with the scarves).

Next, a question:

Are there any other categories that you think need broken down a little more, or separated to form their own category?

For example, the baby clothing category. Would you like seeing it broken down into bibs vs. dresses vs. layettes/sets (etc), or is the baby section already broken down enough?

Kindly note I welcome all suggestions but please don't suggest categorizing all patterns by yarn or all patterns by needle size or huge undertakings such as that. CPC is my early mornings/evenings/weekends hobby, not my day job. :D Plus, isn't some of that what Ravelry is for?

Disclaimer: I can't promise to act on all of the suggestions I receive, but I'd appreciate input. Thanks!

First I would like to say a HUGE thank you for what you have given to all of us with your time and organization of Crochet Pattern Central. I visit there almost daily sometimes more than once a day.

While there the other day I was thinking that it would be nice if the fingerless gloves/wrist warmers were seperate from the mitten glove area. It isn't a big deal at all just a time saver.

Again thank you for all you do.

Just about gave myself a heart attack (and this WOULD give my tech a heart-attack) realizing all the splitting up that could technically be nice or needful. However, I'm not really sure if the following is too much breaking up and would be a waste of time, or if everybody's just been dying to have it happen but is afraid to ask!

(No I have not consulted with my tech yet to see if she's willing to create all these sub-categories or if it would hurt CPC in some way site-ranking way I'm not thinking of at the moment.)

In addition to the baby clothing category in my first post, there's:

Animals

(currently all in one category, but could be split into farm animals versus sea creatures versus amphibians versus ??)

Bags

(currently a huge amount in one category, but could be split into bags versus totes versus purses versus pouches)

Dolls

(could be split into crocheted dolls vs crocheted doll clothing vs crocheted doll house accessories or something like that)

Hats

(currently a huge amount in one category, but could be split into caps versus berets versus hats versus beanies) Please note in this case I would be using the titles of the patterns to base which category they go in, as for the most part I can't identify a type of hat by looking. (I'm not very much of a hat person.) There would still be a huge amount of hats in the hat category, as most are labeled "hat" and not beanie or beret...

Jewelry

(currently all jewelry is in one main category)

(could be split into pins/necklaces/earrings/bracelets/misc)

Kids

(currently a jumble)

(could be split into boys vs girls vs unisex vs toys)

Mittens Gloves

(could be split into mittens vs gloves or fingerless mittens/gloves vs. "real" mittens/gloves)

Those are all the categories I'd consider breaking up at some point.

Wow- that is alot of work! When I go to CPC I use the search and put in what I am looking for- i.e.type in fingerless gloves and it brings up the patterns for the fingerless gloves. If I want to see patterns for round ripples, I just type in round ripple in the search.

Again, thanks for all you do.

Those are all the categories I'd consider breaking up at some point.

I like the ones you had listed. That would be fantastic. :hug However I the amount of work to do so would be amazing.

First of all I want to say that CPC is wonderful, and I recommend it to all the crocheters I know. As for further break-ups, in my own pattern collection, I have sub-categories of every thing, and certainly it is a good idea to split bags into smaller groups. I have them divided them into shoulder bags, , totes, mesh bags, clutch bags, coin purses, etc, and it certainly makes searching easier.

Bags

Dolls

Hats

Kids

(currently a jumble)

(could be split into boys vs girls vs unisex vs toys)

First of all, you have done an incredible job, creating the go-to site for patterns (with pictures) and you do an amazing job keeping it up! I know I am merely among thousands of your fans who would be lost with out such a fantastic resource! :manyheart I love your site :hug

I "quoted" your categories, so I'd remember the ones you were thinking of.

Bags might be nice to break up, but only into a couple broad categories, I think. Such as Totes/Backpacks, and Purses/Wallets,

Dolls is getting large, but I'd say keep it to "Dolls" and "Doll Clothes".

Kids might be nice if some of it were separated into Boys and Girls...mainly as a sub category of clothes...I was just there the other day, and it wasn't that bulky, really. So it could go either way.

As to the rest, I'm afraid I'm not much help...It looks like you'll have a huge job on your hands re-arranging anything you do decide to divide up! :nworthy

Thank you for all the love you put into this project, your site...it is a gift to so many of us!!

If the sections were divided into categories, as you are proposing, leaving those divisions on the same page, that would be useful. Sometimes I would like to know what something is, so that I don't need to click on every pattern in a category to see what type of item it is.

However, I, too, often use a search engine for a particular category at CPC, as well as C'ville, and other forums. It's often more efficient than using the search, or clicking through items on the website itself.

I think CPC is great just the way it is but I would like to add my thanks and that is for having patterns only with pictures. Even though I am an experienced crocheter for more years than I care to admit (LOL), I find having a picture to refer to is definitely easier. Thanks again for all the wonderful work on CPC.LI Roe

A HUGE Thank You!!! for CPC. It is a very generous gift you give us all.

How about dividing the afghan section into Ripples, round rippples, granny's etc

I was there last night and the titles can be helpful in finding some things but a bit more division by style might also help.

If you have time, if not, I can certainly live with it. A few extra minutes on the site looking around is a treat not a burden!

Rachael, I just saw this thread and wanted to add my thank you too. You were very astute in starting your website when you did. It has become the main source for me and thousands of crochet fans around the world. I think that the way you have it broken down is fine since we can all use the search feature for the pattern we are seeking. I'm really grateful for the work that you put into the site and for your willingness to solicit feedback. Many hugs and kisses to you for doing a fine job.

Cowls and neckwarmers are now in their own separate category (they were originally stuck in with the scarves).

I think that's great - thanks for that! Last winter, while interested in working some cowls (both crocheted and knit), I had to go down through all the scarves, which there are a lot of! I think this is a great idea, thanks so much for making things easier! :cheer

For example, the baby clothing category. Would you like seeing it broken down into bibs vs. dresses vs. layettes/sets (etc), or is the baby section already broken down enough?
I think it would benefit many of us for it to be broken down more, as you suggest above. I know that sometimes it takes a lot of time to search the exact baby item I'm looking for, and since there are just soooo many patterns for babies, this can be a very time consuming task. I think breaking it down would be appreciated by many crocheters!

Thanks for all your hard work, I know it must be quite a chunk of time for you. I have emailed with the lady on KPC about possibly being able to search for projects by yarns, such as "wool-ease", but she kindly explained what an undertaking that would be. Other than that suggestion, I can't think of anything that CPC or KPC could do to possibly make the sites any better, they are my "go to" places for so many projects that there is no way I can thank you all enough for all that you provide us with.

Archived