Crochet Pattern Central Advise Needed

RachelG

Thanks for all your hard work, I know it must be quite a chunk of time for you. I have emailed with the lady on KPC about possibly being able to search for projects by yarns, such as "wool-ease", but she kindly explained what an undertaking that would be. Other than that suggestion, I can't think of anything that CPC or KPC could do to possibly make the sites any better, they are my "go to" places for so many projects that there is no way I can thank you all enough for all that you provide us with.

That would be our Robin, too! CPC/KPC Goddess! I agree with her; if you want to search by yarn, do so on Ravelry, where it's already been set up and is easy to maneuver through. She's providing links to patterns, and I never go there looking for patterns for a specific yarn, even though I visit just about once or twice a week (I like checking out What's New on CPC).

The one category I do find a little unwieldy is home decor, which lumps baskets with door knob handles, for example. Separating those out into sub-categories would be helpful. And why are plant hangers in misc. and not in home decor (Just curious? Most definitely not complaining, believe me!)? I love searching through all the afghans, so I don't mind that round ripples are not in a separate sub-category, but that's me personally.

I understand the need to reorganize every once in a while, and kudos to you for thinking of taking on the undertaking. I'm usually of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality myself. :lol

But can I add a special thanks for marking which patterns are .pdfs? My laptop's Adobe has never worked right, and .pdfs often freeze it. So if I see a pdf-marked pattern, I just check it out the next day at work from my office computer. That simple little asterisk or mark has saved me hours of frustration. As has CPC in general! Patty

I think that's great - thanks for that! Last winter, while interested in working some cowls (both crocheted and knit), I had to go down through all the scarves, which there are a lot of! I think this is a great idea, thanks so much for making things easier! :cheer

I think it would benefit many of us for it to be broken down more, as you suggest above. I know that sometimes it takes a lot of time to search the exact baby item I'm looking for, and since there are just soooo many patterns for babies, this can be a very time consuming task. I think breaking it down would be appreciated by many crocheters!

Thanks for all your hard work, I know it must be quite a chunk of time for you. I have emailed with the lady on KPC about possibly being able to search for projects by yarns, such as "wool-ease", but she kindly explained what an undertaking that would be. Other than that suggestion, I can't think of anything that CPC or KPC could do to possibly make the sites any better, they are my "go to" places for so many projects that there is no way I can thank you all enough for all that you provide us with.

Thanks for your comments!

BTW, I'm the lady at KPC. Same person at both places. Me. :D

That would be our Robin, too! CPC/KPC Goddess! I agree with her; if you want to search by yarn, do so on Ravelry, where it's already been set up and is easy to maneuver through. She's providing links to patterns, and I never go there looking for patterns for a specific yarn, even though I visit just about once or twice a week (I like checking out What's New on CPC).

The one category I do find a little unwieldy is home decor, which lumps baskets with door knob handles, for example. Separating those out into sub-categories would be helpful. And why are plant hangers in misc. and not in home decor (Just curious? Most definitely not complaining, believe me!)? I love searching through all the afghans, so I don't mind that round ripples are not in a separate sub-category, but that's me personally.

I understand the need to reorganize every once in a while, and kudos to you for thinking of taking on the undertaking. I'm usually of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality myself. :lol

But can I add a special thanks for marking which patterns are .pdfs? My laptop's Adobe has never worked right, and .pdfs often freeze it. So if I see a pdf-marked pattern, I just check it out the next day at work from my office computer. That simple little asterisk or mark has saved me hours of frustration. As has CPC in general! Patty

Sorry - I didn't see you had responded about who maintains KPC! (Just to clear up any confusion: I'm Rachel. KPC/CPC webmistress/owner.) :)

Thank you for your comments. I am going to organize everyone's comments and re-evaluate them and ask more questions.

I love CPC.

However maybe it would all be easier if you used tags? Then one pattern can be listed in many different categories without any extra work except what it takes to add tags to what is already there. Just a suggestion.

I can put a pattern link in however many categories I want, automatically.

(My behind-the-scenes user-interface lets me paste in the name of the pattern, the link, and then I have drop-down menus to pick which categories I want to add the link to.)

Re-coding for tags would make my tech pass out. Or maybe not. Maybe it's simpler than it sounds.

First: Love the site!

Second: I think if Baby Clothing was changed maybe to just Baby Items. I was looking for a baby afghan a few days ago and didn't even think to click there:blush. Yea, a duh moment when I click there now... :oops

Debbi

Good idea!

I just wanted to add my appreciation for CPC. It's just about the only place I look, and to me it's very user friendly. I think it's great just the way it is. Thanks so much for all the work you've put into it.

• 4 weeks later...
First: Love the site!

Second: I think if Baby Clothing was changed maybe to just Baby Items. I was looking for a baby afghan a few days ago and didn't even think to click there:blush. Yea, a duh moment when I click there now... :oops

Debbi

We fixed this! Baby Clothing is now Baby Items. That definitely needed changed.

Well, here's the beginning of what hopefully will be seen as improvements:

Bags/Totes/Purses, instead of being a HUGE category filled with, well, bags totes and purses...(and pouches and wallets)... :lol ... is now broken down a little bit more:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/bags_totes_purses.php

(Don't ask how long that took!)

Jewelry is now broken down by type:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/jewelry.php

Next on my list: baby clothing and animals (you'll be able to zero in on what you're looking for much faster!)

And, as always, if you're looking for something in particular (example: horse) there's always the site search.

Archived