holiday in recession

zacmom

How many of you have already started making your christmas stuff and what are you giving? I am having a tough time deciding I have several pre teen nieces so I can't decide between scrunchies and cute spa baskets or scarfs. Anyone have any ideas:think I really want to be ahead of the game this year. I have a few co workers I want to gift with christmas centerpieces or other christmas kitchen gear. I always give my mom and my mother in-law ornaments one year I made mittens for each grandkid they had. This year will be stockings or hats haven't decided yet.

So far, all I have done for Christmas gifts is a couple of Granny Square Pillows! I'm mostly concentrating on my first Craft Show booth. For that, I'm making Spiral Scrubbies, scarves, sachets, slippers, afghans,--actually--anything that catches my eye and is fairly easy and quick! I'm having a ball doing it--probably won't make any money:eek--but I'm having fun!! :hook

Collette :crocheting

I too am focusing on my first craft fair booth...thread ornaments, mini stuffies, baby items. But for christmas this year my plan is to scale back considerably, my immediate family only thtat is enough kids for asny one crocheter to cover...my siblings children will number 4 by christmas two boys 9 and newborn and two girls 4 and almost 2.

to those of you brave enought to do the craft fairs I wish you every success:cheer I think its great you are doing them. I am keeping the items for family and coworkers simple but tasteful and I figure by starting now I should have plenty of time for the items that catch my eye. I plan on giving my sister a center piece and coasters. I know she will love them.

I started doing a scarf a month (I didn't join the CAL... but liked the idea). I've done a few, not as many as I would want. This way I can do different stitches too and just have fun with them and choose what to give.

Plus I've been trying to do an afghans since the beginning of the year. I have a few done.

I have a bunch of snowflakes (another CAL idea I'm using, one a week) that I can use or give (probably do both). I've also been making doilies.

I use to do a dishcloth a week (it was an unofficial CAL under a different section) but I still have so many and gave so many away last Christmas that I've stopped making them this year. But that was something I did in advance, again to have fun trying to new stitches and yarn colors. I still make a few with left over cotton yarn from other things, but just to put away, maybe give if I need something.

For coworkers I"m not sure. I've covered ornaments with thread. Done size 3 thread snowflakes. Dischlothes. Last year I think I gave them something non-crocheted because I couldn't decide and ran out of time. Maybe I'll do bookmarks and if I start soon, I could have them done by Christmas (one a week or 2 a month or something like that).

Debbi

Well, I only do for my 2 daughters, grandson, sister and mother. I've made my daughters and my grandson 72" RR's for their birthdays. I am in the 12 scarves CAL and sorta in the Hat CAL so have already made scarves and hats for my daughters. For my sisters and mom, will do slippers and mama likes towels with toppers on them. Probably some matching potholders and dishcloths for the sisters. So, yes, I've already started Christmas because I also do homemade elderberry jelly, cookies and breads to give.

I made a scarf with the matching hat in progress. I've also made a santa hat and matching scarf (Lion Brand free patterns) and need to make the mittens as well. Plus I made a set of felted pot holders that still need to be felted. The only other gifts I've planned this year are 3 wash cloths and they will be knitted. Considering how slooooooow I knit, I should get started on them! Most of the things I make are for myself or my own family now. I find that people who don't knit/crochet don't appreciate the work and see it as a cheap way out of buying gifts. :irk

I am so proud of myself this year! I have been working on my Christmas gifts for a month already! I FINALLY am keeping true to my promise to myself to work on my gifts all year long so that I'm not in the last minute crunch I always find myself in, burning the midnight oil for the month of December and not finishing everything I need to finish! Well, THIS year, that's NOT going to happen! :clap:cheer

I am making spa baskets for some of my friends, consisting of crocheted bath puffs and wash cloths, along with bath gel, bath salts, lotion, and body spray all in a cute little decorative basket. These will be PERFECT for those people that I consider good friends, but am not terribly close to. I have two people that I consider to be my "best friends", one is my boss and the other, while I consider her to be one of my best friends, is more like a daughter to me. I am making afghans for both of them and I've got one afghan well underway and am planning on starting the other one next month. So those will be done and out of the way by Labor Day at the latest. The one I think of more as a daughter has a son who just turned two, and I am going to make him a crocheted hoodie. The other one has a granddaughter who is going to be four in September, and I'm not sure yet what I am going to make for her, but I will decide in the next week or so, get the yarn, and get that project underway. For this same woman's daughter and older granddaughter I am planning to make purses or totes. I have some ideas in my head, and purses can be done in a weekend, so even if I don't do theirs right away, I am still going to be able to have them done by Halloween. And that will leave me free to have the time between Halloween and Christmas to just putter around and make little stocking stuffer things and possibly even FINALLY get around to making the sweater that DH has been asking for for the last eight years that keeps getting put on the back burner to make time for other projects. Oh, and I need one other man's gift for another co-worker, but it doesn't have to be anything complicated, just something nice. So a quick Q-hook afghan that will work up in a week is a definite possibility for him. And that's that! My holidays might actually be FUN this year instead of me being under the gun trying to finish up a dozen gifts at the last minute.

So far I have hats and scarves made for my 4 great nephews. Now I am working on a hooded scarf for their mother, my niece. I'm not sure what to make for my something. I may just make some candy (the kind you can eat) for her as in the last few years she has requested that we only give her things she can eat. In the last couple of years she has moved from a large house into a small apartment. She says she doesn't need more clutter. For my two great nieces I am not sure. One great niece is married and am not sure what to make her hubby. I am also not sure what to make my nephew and his wife. In recent days I have gotten sidetracked making hats for the clothes closet at my church. Looking at all the presents I still need to make maybe I better get back to the Christmas presents for the summer.

I am going to have to get serious on this soon. As soon as I finish a chunky 'ghan as part of a wedding gift, and more baby stuff for my coming niece...and those WIPS...oh:sigh :drool.

I do want to make vonnie's travelghan for MIL, as they travel a lot (I was thinking for their summer anniversary, but it's just too hot up here...so now I've got Christmas covered. sorta.)

There are people who think of handmade stuff as a cheap cop-out, I agree Craw, and it's very frustrating! Those people get something small from the stores. This year though, even they might get something homemade...maybe food :) tipnut.com has lots of Christmas food/craft ideas...and has a monthly collection of crafts, which of course you can glean Christmas gift ideas from (who said Christmas gifts HAD to be red and green after all LOL)

looking at what people are thinking of making sure gives me some great ideas. I,along with others,have cut back on giving tremendously. I do have some ideas.....when you have a husband and wife to give to,instead of separate gifts...what about an afghan they can share.I love handmade things...some of the nicest things I have gotten...towelholders along with wooden spoons and scented hotpads. I agree that some people thing hand made is cheap....I guess they dont realize the time and care put into things !!!!

I saw the pattern a month or so ago for the crochet version of the Snugglie and am currently working on making as many of these for family members as possible. :devil Figure I can kill two birds with one stone - use up the stash and give a present.

I will also try to make some of Vonnie's travelghans. That looked like a great idea.

Very ambitious. Wish me luck.

PS I have spent more money on materials for a hand-made present (and not premium yarn) - not even counting time, than I would ever spend just buying something or giving money. Only a nit-wit would think it is cheaper.

PS I have spent more money on materials for a hand-made present (and not premium yarn) - not even counting time, than I would ever spend just buying something or giving money. Only a nit-wit would think it is cheaper.

ain't it the truth!!

Suggies! hmmmm...hadn't thought of that one...that may just be one to stick in the idea basket (er, folder)

Craw, I'm with you. My relatives would rather have something that I bought rather than something that I took the time to make.They also think that I'm trying to get out cheap.I gave my sister a beautiful salmon and grey afghan for Christmas one year.Two months later I went to visit and she had given it to her dog to lie on.They are the same ones who give me money because they don't take the time to go shopping (None of them do crafts).I would love to receive something that had been made just for me;but since that's not going to happen,give me yarn or a good book any day.

I started making mine back in Jan.

Dads is 80% done but can't work on it again till fall when it cools off.

I have over half the motifs made for my nephews. Had to take a break from those tiny motifs.

I have started the one for the present game we play for my husband side of the family. It has to be unisex so just using up scraps and making 12 inch squares for it.

I have started a teddy bear for my great nephew and plan to make a tote for him (going to put a fish on it his name is Koy lol) to he well only be 9 months old.

And plan to do three or more pillows for Sister, Grandmother and my best friend. Or a tote or two if it is as easy as it looks.

In the last 15-17 years I think last year was the first time I did not make anything at all. One of my sister-in-law's picked my present and was so disappointed it was not something I made.

My Dad still uses the first afghan I made for him with a Q hook and the ends are coming out. It no longer matches his living room either. But he uses it when he naps. So I am making a new RR for him that goes with his new living room set. I am sure he well use it.

Is there anyone out there has a list made up of patterns for Christams gifts. Maybe not the afghans but the small to medium projects. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, I seem to spend a long time online browsing patterns. Then I sit back and think duh you could have finished or started a project in the time you were seaching on-line. If I had a pre-made list of sorts I could have it handy for the times I am sitting and waiting(doctor,dentist,traffic).Just a thought if anyone has this list please share Karen

Karen, I keep a folder on my flash drive listed "Christmas ideas". I copy patterns into that folder, sometimes renaming them in this manner: "original pattern name-gift for X" I've never printed the list, but I'll go look at the folder as I need ideas. I try to tuck ideas in that folder year round, as I come across them.

HTH

well since I started this thread I've finished two doilies and 2 scrubbies. I am working on a third doily. I get paid this week and need to get a Q hook and some more yarn as I don't have enough on hand to finish all the projects on my list. It's a thrill every time I scratch on more gift off of the list

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been crocheting for a little over a month. But thought about crocheting for christmas.

I have made the curly q wreaths and candy canes, heart ornaments, and just the past 2 days, snowflakes and white yo-yo ornaments (almost like a white wreath with a strand of red and green yarn woven through it, and a bow at bottom).

Have also made dish scrubbies. Been having fun!!

At momtent, working on a shell stitch baby blanket for project linus.

Well, I have fallen in love with the scrubbie Ladybugs that Momma24boys posted on the Christmas 2009 thread. (I need to get a life if I am in love with scrubbies!)

I may have to add those to my list!

I plan on working on the preschool blanket tonight. I am free as of 12:00 today!!!!!

I have only 18 rows left and a border- but the pattern is very slow (or I am).

I'm simply not participating in the recession. I have a Christmas Club account and have been saving money all year so Christmas for me will be the same as always. I'll probably have some extra too because my roof will be paid off!!! I'm working on tote bags for my supper club crew and I have to decide what to put in them - I usually do an ornament and a bookmark or doily. I'll make purses for the nieces and stuff them with things they like and a gift card!! Scarves and hats for my Sunday School Class most likely and then who knows from there!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on items for my husbands job. He works with homeless people, the organization puts them in permament housing so they can get their lives under control and work on the skills they need to go out on there own. I actually have a plea for help in the charity area. He just wants some little things for them because there's about 40 people or so and they get a budget of 50 dollars for ALL of them! So that's mostly what I've been doing and not too well. I got two done. LOL But it's 117 outside! Really??? Who thinks of Christmas when you're sweating bullets??? LOL I did organize some of my favorite patterns to have things to make. Money IS very tight but luckily I do have probably all the yarn I need to do at least that.

Archived