holiday in recession

zacmom

I have 1 brother and 2 sisters plus their spouses, 10 neices and nephews, mom and dad, DH, and children to make stuff for christmas. :lol Starting early would be a good idea if I could keep from giving it all away.

My partial list includes baseball buddies(pattern listed on crochetville), spongebob hat and scarf set, spongebob amigurami, 20 dishcloths (8 are completed:cheer), afghan, and I do not know what else. I will probably be lucky to get those finished.:lol

I didn't need a recession to motivate me to do homemade gifts, it is my tradition. I kinda decided that I will make just 1 really special time consuming gift for a member of the family for Christmas each year, and I try to start early. Last year it was a rr for my youngest brother. This year it is knitted socks for my stepdad. He was picking on me at Easter for taking a sock knitting class, spending money on yarn, and spending hours making something he can buy for a few dollars. I know even for his picking he will appreciate them. He is always the hardest person on my list anyway. Last year I framed a cool picture I took of my sister (his daughter) and gave him that. The first sock is only about 3 inches long, but I pull it out often and do a few rows. I will get them done in time, I will, I will, I will....other people in the family will get scarves, hats, small things, or baked items, etc.

I also do craft shows during the holidays. I have a lot to make during the next few months. I figure I need about 4-5 bins of stuff made up. I currently have just over 2. I've started quite a few projects. Had crochet add, couldn't stick with anything. I started a scarf in a boucle yarn, got irritated put it aside. Started a hat in wool. Love it but set it aside to look at the scenery on the drive we made, but it will be my car project for awhile. Have been wanting to perfect my leg warmer pattern so I can make a few sets of those to sell this year. Worked on that last night for about an hour. I have one half done, so I am excited about how that is going, but I'll still need to make another. I am sure they will sell well, because I had so many requests for them last year, but I get bored making multiples of things. Just need to suck it up and get motivated. I am working on that part. A couple evenings of working in ends, lining purses, and blocking bookmarks will increase my saleable stash by a lot as well.

I am sure your stepdad will love the socks!

You should get creative on the wrapping. Use a bag from Hanes tube socks, or make up your own spoof label of "froot of the loom"

Or get a pair of tube socks from the dollar store and put the good socks inside them.

On the gift card write a promise to make the matching underwear next year.

I'm simply not participating in the recession. I have a Christmas Club account and have been saving money all year so Christmas for me will be the same as always. I'll probably have some extra too because my roof will be paid off!!! I'm working on tote bags for my supper club crew and I have to decide what to put in them - I usually do an ornament and a bookmark or doily. I'll make purses for the nieces and stuff them with things they like and a gift card!! Scarves and hats for my Sunday School Class most likely and then who knows from there!!

I love that saying "I'm simply not participating in the recession."

I just read an article that said "So, at $10 a day, what some folks spend on Starbucks, I have a two year budget of $7,500 for..."

Wow imagine the yarn... :drool

Even $3,750 for one year... :hook

This year I"m trying to do my list throughout the year. I have a friend who LOVES doilies and I have a few made so I can select one. Plus and aunt who loves my doilies too... Besides the money savings for last of year gifts, it beats the stress. And I've learned that most of the people I give to, I give too much, so I've cut back anyway on gifts, although my best friend gets the most gifts, of course...:)

Archived