Crochet as survival skill in Italian quake

Did you guys see this article?

Italy quake: 98-year-old woman rescued after 30 hours

Rome (Xinhua): A 98-year-old woman was rescued alive from the earthquake rubble in Italy's L'Aquila city after being trapped for 30 hours, Italian media reported. Maria D'Antuono told ANSA news agency that while trapped under her house, she killed time by "doing crochet." She is in good condition

:clap:clap:clap:clapHooray for crochet!!!!:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

after being trapped for 30 hours, Italian media reported. Maria D'Antuono told ANSA news agency that while trapped under her house, she killed time by "doing crochet." She is in good condition

God, we'll crochet no matter what, won't we! :rofl

We've had a rough couple days here waiting to hear from from daughter's exchange student family. She spent last year there for the whole school year and fell in love with her family. We did hear from them and everyone is ok! We are so happy!

I saw the footage on TV of this woman being extricated. Gotta love stories like that!

:hookColleen

My husband says even though he prays that we never experience any calamity like this, because I have my crochet stuff all over the house..he can see me re-enacting this .I would be able to find stuff to crochet no matter even if I am buried under rubble.:lol

Oh wow, she is an amazing woman and I had to chuckle bc I'd be crocheting too if I could find stuff to do it with

I just saw this story on the morning news here in Oz - what an amazing lady. She's a very strong woman, and doesn't look 98 at all.

I've also just read that when asked what she needed before going home she replied 'a comb' hehehe :), good on her!

I have the news on while browsing through C'ville and just heard the report on the woman crocheting while trapped during the earthquake. Then I come across this thread on it. She is amazing and must have great faith. Just think about it there she was trapped in the rubble so what does she do to pass time until she is rescued - crochet. She knew she would be rescued. But I do have to agree with the other posts nothing keeps us from crocheting.

While you are looking at the footage of her being brought out. If you check her left hand, she has her yarn, hook nad wip clutched tightly in that hand.

I busted up laughing.:hook

God Bless her! This is an amazing story......and really funny too, because only real hard-core crocheters like us can appreciate that she kept right on crocheting as she waited to get rescued!:crochetingThanks for sharing!

Wow...good for her...but I could totally see myself doing this as well!!! We were without power for 10 days recently after the southern ice storm and I crocheted and spun on my spinning wheel to pass the time. I hope I am still going strong at 98 like this lady! :wink

:cheerI did not see this in the news, but at work last evening I was showing a co-worker my crocheted eggs for the grandkids and the subject came up. Amazing women. I would crochet to.I imaggine she has crocheted alot.

Good for her! Her coping abilities are probably why is 98 and still going strong.

I can relate -- during the blizzard of 1978 (I lived in the northeast then) I did a complete embroidery of a beautiful parrot on a blossoming cherry tree -- using silk thread. I crocheted through the two last Hurricanes Wilma and Charlie, when we didn't have power -- (eyes too old now to embroider without sufficient lighting). Finished one baby blanket and made a ton of washcloths!

Archived