Anyone quit knitting after learning crochet?

I'm still kind of new to crochet; I taught myself the basics a few months ago. I was wondering if anyone totally gave up knitting after learning to crochet? Since I got into crochet, I have had no interest in knitting LOL. I find crochet to be more relaxing and more creative, so knitting just doesn't seem to interest me anymore.

Has anyone else had the same experience? :hook

I knit, but since I learned how to crochet, I can't seem to pick up the knitting needles again! I still have all of my knitting needles and notions and every once in a while think about knitting something, but mind you, it ends up being only thinking about it! :lol

I do both but prefer to crochet. It is easier for me to use one hook rather than two needles- too much coordination needed. :think:lol

I like crochet better for some things because it's so much faster. I just learned to knit a few months ago and mind you, I'm not very good at it. The challenge to learn is there but when I wanna make an afghan or a fast project, I'm picking up the hook. :hook I've always got something OTN and OTH. Several in fact, lol. It's all so addictive!

I can knit a little. I was SO glad to finally learn to crochet, simply cause it goes SO much faster. I may occasionally knit a dish cloth or scarf, but that's as big as i'll do. I'll knit a scarf from Homespun, but won't touch Homespun to crochet with.

I am just the opposite. I have always loved my crochet, especially the thread work. And I am much more proficient in crochet, even though I learned to do both at a young age. I just prefer crochet for some things and knit for the other. Crochet is my fast fix when I want some instant gratification, but the knitting projects also challenge me in other areas. I have equal love and respect for both of these crafts.

I learned to knit first. Learned to crochet to trim & finish the knit. Decided I preferred working with a single hook, rather than juggling two needles. I think I've only knitted one item in the 40 years since.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned how to knit and crochet when I was a kid, but I much rather prefer CROCHET for many of the same reasons others expressed. It's faster, easier, more fun, more gratifying, and it's so much easier to correct mistakes.

Every once in a while I think about picking up a pair of needles to make a simple item like a scarf. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many items I knit in the past few years. Not my thing at all! :eek

Give me crochet any day! :crocheting

I actually thought about putting all my needles on Craig's List this weekend, but I decided not to. There might come a time when I do feel like knitting something again. As of now, I still have no desire to knit. I'm enjoying learning crochet too much. :hook I try to teach myself new stitch combinations each week, and that keeps me interested.

Others have mentioned it, and I think my main reason for liking crochet over knitting is that it's so easy to correct mistakes, especially when learning new stitches. Correcting mistakes in knitting was a huge hassle for me. :yes

"I learned how to knit and crochet when I was a kid, but I much rather prefer CROCHET for many of the same reasons others expressed. It's faster, easier, more fun, more gratifying, and it's so much easier to correct mistakes."

This quote is my exact story!!!! As I get older, I don't want to fool with paying the super-careful attention not to get my lace repeats off in knit. Not relaxing. I also find that crochet patterns have more flair and personality, particularly in baby things.

I do both, and like both. :D

I prefer crocheting when I'm working with bulkier yarns though, because it feels smoother than knitting.

Passionsgirl, you can still learn to knit if you're left-handed. Don't let that stop you. :)

I am the opposite of most of you here. I learned crochet first, then learned to knit about 5 years ago....I do about the same number of projects in each.

i wish i could learn to knit but i am lefthanded

I'm a lefty too....don't let that stop you! Find a good teacher, it will help.

I have had no luck learning to knit, but I do several different types of sewing and needlework and find myself going back and forth---I'll want to do nothing but crochet for a couple of months, then I'll just want to quilt or cross-stitch or make clothes.

I learned to crochet first. I crochet more because it's easier to pick up in between other things and I dont' have to worry so much about dropped stitches. But I really like the way knit looks.

i wish i could learn to knit but i am lefthanded

As others have said, you can still knit. I'm left handed. However while I crochet left-handed, I actually found it easier to knit right-handed!:think Give it a shot!!:cheer

• 6 months later...

Knitting Im not very good at. My mum has shown me many times but never got the hang of it. I would cast on 10 stitches and then some how end up with 15 or 5 stitches.

I have found that I am much better at crocheting.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, considering that no one has actually posted anything here since April, i'll post anyway. My grandmother taught me to knit when I was about 6 or 7. I tried picking it up again before my eldest was born. I realized just how much I hated knitting when my best friend taught me to crochet. Knitting literally puts me to sleep. I usually will find myself nodding off pretty quickly after i start working on something. So even though i have some nice knitting needles.....they are put away at the moment. Crochet, however, i LOVE. The fact that i can sit down and whip something out in an hour is fantastic, esp. this time of year when i wanted to make some ornaments. It must be the instant gratification thing....

Not give up entirely, but I most certainly prefer crocheting to knitting...but every so often, the call of the needles is too much to resist.

Archived