Yarn you would never use again?

Trinket

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've ever met a yarn I didn't like. I'm sure there *have* been some, but I just don't remember them right now.

It is really interesting to see everyone's different tastes!

I completely agreed with what seems to be the consensus -- I really dislike Homespun. I don't like working with it, it's terrible as fringe and I don't like the way it launders. A lot of the women in our prayer shawl ministry love it, though, and that's all they use.

I don't mind working with Caron Simply Soft, but it gets all limp and seems to lose its shape after wearing / laundering, so I don't like to make things with it that are large or will get worn or used a lot.

Another yarn I don't like is Noro Kuryeon. So many people are crazy about this yarn I thought I had to try it, so I spent a lot of $$ on 3 balls to make a scarf, and every ball was filled with knots, some of the yarn was so thin in places as to be like thread and in other spots it was so thick it resembled roving. I hated working with it, the scarf is scratchy, and I would never use it again.

Fortunately, though, the yarns I do like far outnumber the few that I have had bad experiences with!

Ha! It is so funny how different people are! I love Homespun, Baby Clouds/Light and Lofty/Brite and Lofty and absolutely adore Caron Simply Soft (especially the brites). I DESPISE, LOATHE, and DETEST:

I Love (Hate) This Yarn (in all forms)

Red Heart SS

Rainbow Boucle

I really enjoy natural fibers, but for acrylics I like Jiffy by Lion Brand and Simply Soft

I have to agree with you 100% on the I Hate oops meant I Love This Yarn. That is the worst yarn I have ever tried to work with and wash. That is the only yarn that I ever seen that falls apart in the washing machine and it pills up extremely bad. Thank goodness that it wasn't a big project and there was no saving it, I had to throw it away. Talk about a waste. Oh well, I guess that was a lesson learned.

Another yarn I don't like is Noro Kuryeon. So many people are crazy about this yarn I thought I had to try it, so I spent a lot of $$ on 3 balls to make a scarf, and every ball was filled with knots, some of the yarn was so thin in places as to be like thread and in other spots it was so thick it resembled roving. I hated working with it, the scarf is scratchy, and I would never use it again.

I don't get this, either...it's like the Emperor's New Clothes. People kept going on and one about Noro Kuryeon, so I decided to check it out at the LYS. The stuff felt like steel wool! You coudln't pay me to work with it...

I'm not a big fan of the Noro yarns, myself. Though, I have never used them. While at the LYS, I picked some up because I thought the colors were interesting, but when I felt it, I immediately put it back. It's all so very hard and scratchy! Except for maybe purses or some other bag, I can't think of anything that stuff would be good for.

I pretty much dislike the majority of the YarnBee yarns. LOL

me too.. except for the ILTY.. those are yarnBee too, but i like them.

Boucle yarn of any brand - after having made a poncho with the Bernat brand, I'll never use it or any other brand again! I also try to avoid dark colors because it's so hard to see the stitches.

Beverly

I don't get this, either...it's like the Emperor's New Clothes. People kept going on and one about Noro Kuryeon, so I decided to check it out at the LYS. The stuff felt like steel wool! You coudln't pay me to work with it...

Makes you wonder if so many praising reviews/comments are from people who are directly benefiting from the sale of this yarn - like yarn shop employees or employees of the yarn manufacturers. I tend to be skeptical of many product reviews online. You just don't know who is full of compliments or complaints. Some people are NEVER satisfied with anything or may be employees of a competing company or disgruntled ex-employees. Of course, the opposite can be true of positive reviews. Some people are too easily pleased or may be employees of the product manufacturer. Have to go with what you know from experience with any company or at least their reputation.

Beverly

Also, I avoid textured yarns after my experience with boucle. Not sure I'll ever use anything other than regular yarns of different weights/gauges.

Beverly

i think i may be the only person who likes homespun. i've never had a problem with it. i made a HUGE couch afghan with it and we love it. i used 2 strands with a Q hook.

i have no issues with lion brand pound of love either. i don't get knots. i must be lucky.

i will never use novelty yarns again. i hate boucle. and my nemesis is Lion Brand suede. GRRRR...i hate you suede. oh and red heart baby clouds. you can't see what you're doing and it washed up terribly! pills like crazy.

I love Homespun too.

• 1 month later...

I LOVE Homespun!!! Love it.

I do NOT like:

Rainbow Boucle. Even though it is somewhat similar to Homespun, I do not like it at all.

Caron Simply soft--cannot stand to crochet with that either.

Isn't it funny what some like and others just love!!??:yes

I found that the Red Heart Soft Yarn terrible to work with I am making an afghan and it splits and and gets twisted very easy. I found the trick to work with boucle yarns it is that you don't see the stitch but feel it to make it work. As for eyelash yarns or fun furs I have found it is easier to knit it than crochet and use number 15 needles and it works out perfect.

I really don't have a problem with anything other than Caron Simply Soft. I love the way it feels, but that's where it ends. I don't know if it's the way I hold my yarn or what, but as I crochet, the yarn twists so that the plies untwist and become individual strands, and at that point it splits with almost every stitch! Also, when I wash whatever it is I've made, it no longer looks like it's new! It looks old and beat already!

I have never minded working with boucle or eyelash or nearly any novelty yarn, and I do crochet by feel, as CraftyZone said. My problems with yarn are more about how they feel and how they wash. Details:

Simply Soft - I love how it feels, and I love the colors. It seems to hold up fine for baby items and afghans, but I made a sweater out of it for my 4yo son, and it got extremely fuzzy the first time he wore it. Not angora-type fuzzy, but worn-out-fuzzy. I was bummed.

Homespun - The color variations within the same dyelot are just ridiculous. Too frustrating for words. Also, I worry about this business of it not washing well. After the experience with my son's sweater, I decided to do what all the books recommend and wash a swatch before making the whole sweater. The swatch looked fine after the wash, so I thought I was good, but now I'm starting to wonder based on what I read here.

Red Heart Super Saver - If sandpaper were made of plastic, this is what it would feel like.

TLC Essentials - Incredible pilling with the very first wash, and every wash thereafter.

Noro, I have to say, was probably the most disappointing yarn to work with. I bought two balls of the Silk Garden to make a scarf (and the finished product is in my blog) and seriously? How could you make wearable socks from this?? The colours may be lovely, but the texture isn't what I had thought/hoped for.

After that - Patons Big Baby splits like a Hollywood couple, There's some horrible acrylics available that feel like plastic jute and I detest trying to crochet with novelty yarns.

I'm pretty determined so I'll struggle with anything except dark colors. I hate crocheting with dark colors, it takes me twice as long. Even in good light it's so hard for me to see the stitches. But sometimes there's just no avoiding it :(

Lynne

<><

me too. However, I do give up with a yarn after I made a project. I tried Bernat Baby Softee recently and HATED it. :angry Split to no end. I bought 3 skiens too because I loved the Bernat Baby Jacquards, but this was woven too loose. I made 3 baby hats out of it and put the rest away. I thought I might try it again with another strand of yarn with it and maybe do a scarf or something. maybe slippers...

Fun fur. It's okay somewhat with another strand. but still not fun.

Fancy fur. Even worse then fun fur.

Simply Soft. Woven too loose and splits on me.

• 2 months later...

The last 2 baby blankets I made were with Bernat Baby Softee. Both came apart when I washed them the first time. Luckily, I was able to fix them before giving them as gifts, but of course, I'm nervous that it will happen to the new owners!

At first, I thought it was me. Although I've made plenty of blankets, I'm in no way an expert. But, it occured to me now, that maybe it's the yarn. I've never had it happen with others.

I won't be using it again. Not worth taking the chance.

Archived