Yarn you would never use again?

Trinket

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lion Brand Incredible ribbon yarn. It sound be called Incredible Pain in the Butt! It's so pretty when it's worked up, but I hated working with it. I still have a ball and a half in my stash to use up somehow...

I like Homespun, but only when it's worked with two strands together and a Q hook. Otherwise, I think that stuff is better left for knitting. Even then it's not really my cup of tea. Right now I have two or three skeins of it I need to find a use for. It was a gift from a friend. I don't want it to go to waste. I'll likely make a scarf and hat set from it. Or some mittens, perhaps.

Ok, up until today I didn't really have a yarn that I really hated working with but now I do. It's called Bamboo Soft Stripes (by Mary Maxim) and it's horrible stuff. I'm gonna send it back to Mary Maxim. It's $8.97 a skein if you buy 2 and I just had to buy 2 but it's not even worth 5 bucks a skein. Oy, and to think that I was excited about it coming and knitting a couple of pairs of really special socks with it. Talk about dissappointed.

Oh well, I guess I know better now!!

Julee

Ok, up until today I didn't really have a yarn that I really hated working with but now I do. It's called Bamboo Soft Stripes (by Mary Maxim) and it's horrible stuff. I'm gonna send it back to Mary Maxim. It's $8.97 a skein if you buy 2 and I just had to buy 2 but it's not even worth 5 bucks a skein. Oy, and to think that I was excited about it coming and knitting a couple of pairs of really special socks with it. Talk about dissappointed.

A while ago, I ordered one of their kits to make a baby blanket. I was supposed to get Patons Astra yarn, which I've worked with before and really like. Instead, for the white yarn, I got their brand of baby yarn, which was horrible. It split and just felt cheap in comparison to the Astra yarn. The awful thing was that the crochet kit was not cheap! :eek It was for a dear friend, and she loved the finished product, but I'd think twice before ordering from them again. Ideally, I wish they'd let you buy just the pattern and then be able to pick your own yarn...

Patons Decor. YUCK

i made a scarf out of this a few months back. i didn't have any issues with it at all. and once it was washed, it was super soft.

sorry you didn't like it.

Ha! It is so funny how different people are! I love Homespun, Baby Clouds/Light and Lofty/Brite and Lofty and absolutely adore Caron Simply Soft (especially the brites). I DESPISE, LOATHE, and DETEST:

I Love (Hate) This Yarn (in all forms)

Red Heart SS

Rainbow Boucle

I really enjoy natural fibers, but for acrylics I like Jiffy by Lion Brand and Simply Soft

caron simply soft! Hate it!

Oh my goodness! :eek I thought I was about the only one there was that didn't like Simply Soft. It always seems like everybody does except for me.

I'm allergic to something in RHSS. When I work with it, my arms break out in a horrible rash. I'm trying to get it out of my stash by having my daughter make things for her friends...that way we don't even keep the finished product!

I'm allergic to something in RHSS. When I work with it, my arms break out in a horrible rash. I'm trying to get it out of my stash by having my daughter make things for her friends...that way we don't even keep the finished product!

You're not the only one...I've heard of others who are allergic to RHSS. I wonder if they use some sort of chemical in processing it?

I've had trouble with RHSS lately. I have a large picnic basket that I've been pulling scraps from and making hats, etc. Now my arm is breaking out in a rash from the left over RHSS. I am betting it is a chemical on the yarn that will wash out. For new skeins I am going to try and wash them using the pantyhose method, but for scrap balls that won't work. Anyone ever tried working in gloves? My skin has gotten more and more sensative as I have gotten older, who knew? Not just with yarn but hay and a lot of other things. I break out in a hive/rash thing on the top of my right forearm. Sometimes I get it in other places but that is the first place it always pops up. RHSS is not my favorite by feel anyway, but the colors, price and durability cannot be beat.

I won't make things with LB Homespun anymore. Not only is it a pain to work with, it wears terribly. I say a throw that I made with it at a freind's house. It was pilly and nasty looking, and I don't think they were hard on it. Scarves, hats, etc all look pretty rough in a short amount of time, and forget washing it gentle cycle or no.

Red Heart for Kids - ICK! Not sure if it was the batch I bought or what. It felt fine all rolled in a skein when I made the purchase but no sooner did I start using it then it felt like my fingers were on fire, very plastic like. I bought it because I wanted cheap & durable - but wound up giving up on it & switching to another brand. After all, it was for an RR for my youngest & comfort is also a BIG priority.

I don't even want to use it to make cat beds, I don't want to touch it period!

Not sure I'd say I'll never use it again, but I have two skeins of Caron Simply Soft Brites! that I've been using for my WIP (an afghan for my DH made as a single gigantic granny square) that are driving me crazy. I've been pulling yarn from the center, and in both cases I've gotten about midway through the skein only to have the middle of the ball vomit out a tangled, snarled mess of yarn that took me forever to untangle. What's up with that!?!?

Oh my goodness! :eek I thought I was about the only one there was that didn't like Simply Soft. It always seems like everybody does except for me.

Nope, not just you, I cannot stand Simply Soft! It splits something awful.

Next would be Homespun, not only is it hard to work with but looks terrible after washing.

I have always used Caron Simply Soft for my baby afghans. But they have changed it and it's no longer as soft. I made one from RHSS for my new grandson and once I washed it, it was soft but it sheds a lot. He loves it though--so hopefully the next wash will take care of the shedding.

I am going to try Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn to see how it works for the baby afghans.

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking for yarn, in ANY colors or amounts IF anyone has some they dont need. I use this ti make scrap afghans, for the ederly in our community or nursing homes. I also would appreciate any patterns that are EASY and that make pretty afghans with scraps. Thanks alot.

Number 1 on my list: Homespun. Several years ago I tried to crochet a shawl, and it took *forever*. I couldn't see the stitches, and the yarn kept splitting! It drove me crazy. :eek I finished the shawl, but I promised myself that I would NEVER buy Homespun again. When I see patterns that call for Homespun, I don't even give them a second glance. Hate it! :yuck

Working with Bernat Softee Baby now and I am not liking it. It is very soft (which I do like) but there are too many tangles in the yarn and the ghan is coming out very thin. I'll finish this since I need it for a gift, but won't buy this again.

What yarn do you like to use for baby ghans?

When I see patterns that call for Homespun, I don't even give them a second glance. Hate it! :yuck

I don't immediately dismiss a pattern that calls for the vile Homespun...instead, I try to think up some substitute yarn to use. :D

I don't immediately dismiss a pattern that calls for the vile Homespun...instead, I try to think up some substitute yarn to use. :D

I agree with thinking of a substitute. Homespun is considered bulky weight. If you can find another yarn that is classified as bulky weight that you can more easily work with, then you can still make the project. It just won't look exactly the same.

Archived