Yarn you would never use again?

Trinket

I think all of us must have, or will at some point in time, run into a particular brand or kind of yarn that we will hate and never use again. Would you agree?

I've heard complaints about the quality of Red Heart Super Saver, and sometimes of Caron yarn. But is there any other yarn that you've tried and you found yourself wondering why in the world you ever bought the stuff and just will never use again?

For me, it's Red Heart Symphony yarn. It's nice in the skein, but when you start to work with it, it's so thin and wispy that I found it getting tangled up. The other is Caron Jewel Box yarn. It's a sort of chenille type yarn with this multicolored thread twisted in with it. I picked that up from a closeout store several years ago and I decided to try to bust it out of my stash with a simple scarf, and I've gotten to a point where I almost want to abandon the project and throw it out. The chenille part of the yarn is soft and nice, but it's that thread! It gets tangled up and catches on my hook and it's horrible! It's been discontinued, from what I understand, but even if it wasn't, I wouldn't buy it again.

Anybody else have that kind of frustration?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Heart/simply soft . I've been exposed for far to long now to "the good stuff" and will never go back to that stuff. Lion Brand's Incredible should be called incredibad. I HATE it.

Now onto "The good stuff" Filatura Di Crosa's night it's split split splitty! I tried to make snow fake ornaments out of it but gave up. However it did knit better than it crochted . . . only because I carried it alone with 2 other yarns LOL!

Knit Picks Suri Dream looks like pretty little puff balls, it's soft, you can't stop petting it. So Don't you sure as heck can't crochet with it and don't even think about knitting it up either! It's 100% un-frogable!

Karabella's Vintage cotton is great to knit with but the hook eats it. I mean it makes it look like it rotted and it gets rubbery/stiff.

I'm pretty determined so I'll struggle with anything except dark colors. I hate crocheting with dark colors, it takes me twice as long. Even in good light it's so hard for me to see the stitches. But sometimes there's just no avoiding it :(

Lynne

<><

Anything bumpy or that splits a lot. When I tried those textured yarns, I ended up giving away all of the few I'd bought to try.

I think Lynned1952 is right about the dark colors. I've bought some, thinking I'd make lap robes for nursing homes, and I tend to use only the lighter colors.

I like yarn that is smooth and easy to work with.

Lion Brand Pound of Love. People were talking about it in another thread and now I remember it had so many tied in knots I would never use it again. I've got 3/4 of a skein hiding in my closet that I'll probably wind into balls (about 19 of them after I cut out all the knots!!). There's no going back to RHSS for me except I still love their Mexicana and Coffee Fleck colors. It's too yucky to work with and just about the poorest quality on the market. I didn't like the Knit Picks Crayon - it's very soft but it looked like a blob when I tried to crochet it, knitting it was not much better. It's too bumpy. At least it frogs easily. I know because I did a lot of that, LOL. There's probably others but I can't think of them right now.

I pretty much use everything but will add a strand like sport yarn or worsted yarn if I don't like the way the novelty/specialty yarns look after using just that strand.

Dark color yarns are a problem, I think for just about everyone, but if you have something light (like a white sheet or piece of fabric under it) while you crochet, it sometimes does help to see a bit better.

Also, the light up crochet hooks are supposed to be good. I bought them but so far, since I have been working on lighter colors, haven't used them.

I don't like the rug yarn that was used years ago, not sure if it even still around.

LI Roe

The worst of the worst for me is Lion Brand Homespun. I know some people just love it, but for me it's nearly impossible to figure out where the stitches are if you crochet with it. If you knit with it, for some reason it bunches up like mad. The end result tends to sag over time and looks really ratty when put through the washing machine. And don't get me started on the color variations! I've found that the color wildly varies not only within the same dye lot, but within the SAME SKEIN! And, no, I don't mean the natural slight variation it's supposed to have...I mean huge variations! :eek

Give me Patons or Plymouth any day (can't usually afford the hoity-toity ones)...

I love the way Sensations Rainbow boucle looks when it's worked up-- but I just can't use it. The entire center of the skein comes out in a tangle of "yarn barf" when you go to use it, and boucle is so hard to frog and de-tangle. Come to think of it almost every big skein (300g and more) I've used of all different sorts of yarn have had serious knots inside.

I remembered another one. Bernat Soft Boucle. :yuck

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one. I used that to crochet my first sweater (the Weekend Pullover pattern). NEVER AGAIN!!! Some descendant of Marquis de Sade came up with that one...:thair

I bought some Yarn Bee boucle yarn from HL...it was marked down on SUCH a good clearance. The yarn itself is hard to work with - one thread (almost like fishing line) that has 'soft stuff' bunched up and woven thru it. BUT I made the mistake of picking out a black/white color, called 'salt and pepper'. Looks GREAT in the skein, but as far as working with it? WOW. I couldn't see the stitches I'd just made! It took me what seemed like a million tries to actually chain in the foundation row. Luckily I'm making a mesh-type shawl with it, so I only had 8 foundation stitches. GEEZ, that stuff is awful. I have decided that boucle is torture and will NEVER NEVER use it again!

Boucle yarn is the devil.

I wonder if Boucle yarn would be any better to knit with? I imagine you'd have the same bunching problem that you have with Lion Brand Homespun... :think

I'm pretty determined so I'll struggle with anything except dark colors. I hate crocheting with dark colors, it takes me twice as long. Even in good light it's so hard for me to see the stitches. But sometimes there's just no avoiding it :(

Lynne

<><

That is funny. Well it is not but I bought one of those lights that you put on your head so I could use it with dark yarn altho I have not used dark yarn since I bought it.

Boucle yarn is very hard for me to use even if I just dc the whole scarf. I think some yarns are just made for knitting or just for crochet. I can use boucle in my nifty knitter and it works just fine and looks good. Any of the specialty yarns that are very thin like eylash I just use with another yarn. I get the effect without all of the headaches using it.

Anything lumpy and bumpy. Examples:

bernat super stripes, love it knitted but can't crochet with it.

Red heart baby clouds, a clearance isn't such a good deal if it just sits in the bottom of the closet.

some of the novelty yarns are awful to work with too

fun fur pure torture!!

red heart plush, tlc baby amore...looked nice in the skien but didn't like the way it worked up

Noro sock yarn! :lol

I know this is going to make me sound like a yarn snob, but ... I got a skein of Noro sock yarn as a present. It looked so gorgeous, I did nothing with it for six months except admire it. When I finally crocheted with it, it was really disappointed. It was rough and stringy, the final product - a scarf - didn't even soften after washing. It was definitely MUCH nicer in the skein. By the same token, the el cheapo acrylic yarn I got at a supermarket sale worked up sooooooooo nice and withstood washings sooooooooo well, and it cost literally a fraction of the price :(

No more Red Heart Supersaver for me. I hate it and have given away all of it in my stash. I know it is supposed to soften after it is washed, but I don't even want to work with it.

Paton's Be Mine. Thankfully I only bought 2 of them at Big Lots once so it was only a $2.00 expense. I used it all up making caps and booties for friends who were having babies and couldn't stand it the entire time. Won't use it again no matter what.

yeah, I love the way eyelash yarn looks but I can never find the stitch... I bought this gorgeouse red shiny eyelash yarn once to make a scarf, and tried knitting with it, and it was terrible, I haven't tried crocheting with it yet... but i'm not looking forward to it....:eek

Boucle yarn is very hard for me to use even if I just dc the whole scarf. I think some yarns are just made for knitting or just for crochet. I can use boucle in my nifty knitter and it works just fine and looks good. Any of the specialty yarns that are very thin like eylash I just use with another yarn. I get the effect without all of the headaches using it.

That's a really good idea, I'll have to try that!:manyheart

Archived