Yarn you would never use again?

Trinket

Red Heart Super Saver is NASTY to work with. My hook squeaks and whines when I try to use it and gives me cold chills. I have some difficulty with Homespun, but can manage a hat or scarf with it. Paton's Be Mine .. I got loads of it last year at Big Lots and ended up giving it away after trying like a hundred projects to no avail. I have become a complete I Love This Yarn & Cotton fanatic. Not only does it feel wonderful on the skein, but it works up nicely and is super soft afterwards as well! Lily Peaches & Cream needs to change their logo.. It is NOT the softest cotton yarn!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The entire center of the skein comes out in a tangle of "yarn barf" when you go to use it, and boucle is so hard to frog and de-tangle.

:lol I love your term "yarn barf"! I've had that happen to me, too. Mostly it seems to happen with Red Heart and Caron. I'll be be ticking around and all of a sudden, BLOP! A big tangle! :eek

I don't like the boucle yarn, either. Really, I don't like bumpy yarns. Or frizzy yarns.

There was this cute yarn someone sent me to make a shawl for them with. It was Yarn Bee Lambie Pie. It was soft and had the cutest little curls in it! But WHOA when I tried to work with that stuff. It was a nightmare! I couldn't see any of my stitches. And it tangled up badly. Made a mistake? Can't pull it out! I did manage to finally finish up the shawl, but I know I'd never buy any of that stuff for myself! :(

OMG "yarn barf" how perfect! I too HATE Homespun with a passion. I actually made a huge cape with a hood with it and even stopping 10 rows short it is way too long,had to make a belt to tie it up. I wear it for Ren Faire. It is warm but such a pain to work with,NEVER again! Also Patons Devine feels so soft until you get it all worked up then it ITCHES! So the stole I made with it is now a table runner for Ren Faire. :lol

Red Heart Super Saver is NASTY to work with. My hook squeaks and whines when I try to use it and gives me cold chills. I have some difficulty with Homespun, but can manage a hat or scarf with it. Paton's Be Mine .. I got loads of it last year at Big Lots and ended up giving it away after trying like a hundred projects to no avail. I have become a complete I Love This Yarn & Cotton fanatic. Not only does it feel wonderful on the skein, but it works up nicely and is super soft afterwards as well! Lily Peaches & Cream needs to change their logo.. It is NOT the softest cotton yarn!

Lily and Peaches & Creme are two different companies....a long-time PnC user, I have to throw my hat towards HL's I Love This Cotton as the softest cotton WW ever!!!

My nemesis is HL's Frosting....uuuugggghhhh!! it's sooo pettably soft but a nightmare to use, impossible to frog.

The worst ~ Homespun. Don't even get me going on about it.

Next ~ Caron Simply Soft. When I finish up what I have now, I won't buy more. It's very inconsistent. Some is soft and pretty, some is tough and stringy.

Homespun... I only got the foundation chain done when I realized... this yarn is crap for crochet... It knits ok but I don't realy like it :(

i think i may be the only person who likes homespun. i've never had a problem with it. i made a HUGE couch afghan with it and we love it. i used 2 strands with a Q hook.

i have no issues with lion brand pound of love either. i don't get knots. i must be lucky.

i will never use novelty yarns again. i hate boucle. and my nemesis is Lion Brand suede. GRRRR...i hate you suede. oh and red heart baby clouds. you can't see what you're doing and it washed up terribly! pills like crazy.

:lol:lol This is just too funny reading some of the responses. At one time I would have said that the novelty yarns and boucles would be the ones I would never ever use again, but when I do :crocheting with them now I have no problems, as I don't try to crochet in the stitch as they are hard to see, but I crochet between the stitches and it is such a breeze. Sometimes with the novelty yarns I will use a strand of ww yarn which also helps in crocheting with them easier.

The two yarns that I simply will never ever buy again is HL I Love This Yarn and I Love This Cotton. They may be soft, but after washing they look as if they are hundreds of years old with tons of pills all over the finished product. UGGGHHHHHH. Around my house those yarns are called I Hate This Yarn/Cotton. Give me RHSS or S & C any day and I will be content.

I bought some baby softee yard and while I love it its color and its SO soft on the skien I hate working with it. Its spliting like mad and the project I'm making is turning out so thin. I bought enough to do 2 afghans and have started both and I bet they say in my WIP area for a long long time. I dislike working with RHSS although my one project turned out fine once I washed it, the yarn fell nasty and fake while I was stitching.

This is making me giggle, heh. I DETEST Homespun (as well as other boucle's) but oddly, the RedHeart Colorwaves doesn't give me issues. I am making a Seraphina with a red color. I know Colorwaves is discontinued, but I got several skeins at a job lots store.

I don't use much novelty yarn alone. Its always with another strand, and I don't have a problem finding my stitches. Fuzzy yarns also vary - depends on the manufacturer. Paton's Divine is not a favorite, but Angel from Joann's Sensations line works really well for me.

Now, I'm thinking about all the projects I have....darn you all!! hee

The worst ~ Homespun. Don't even get me going on about it.

Next ~ Caron Simply Soft. When I finish up what I have now, I won't buy more. It's very inconsistent. Some is soft and pretty, some is tough and stringy.

Two of my favorites! Isn't it funny how different things drive us crazy.

Lion Brand Pound of Love. People were talking about it in another thread and now I remember it had so many tied in knots I would never use it again. I've got 3/4 of a skein hiding in my closet that I'll probably wind into balls (about 19 of them after I cut out all the knots!!). There's no going back to RHSS for me except I still love their Mexicana and Coffee Fleck colors. It's too yucky to work with and just about the poorest quality on the market. I didn't like the Knit Picks Crayon - it's very soft but it looked like a blob when I tried to crochet it, knitting it was not much better. It's too bumpy. At least it frogs easily. I know because I did a lot of that, LOL. There's probably others but I can't think of them right now.

Yep, my thread might be the one you're talking about, although, someone else may have too lol. I absolutely LOVE the purple and green combo that i used for a baby blanket, but i'd bought 16 oz of yarn for LESS knots, not more.:yes

I'm getting to the point where the majority of Red Heart SS yarns feel like garden twine. It maybe $2.12 at the local Wal-Mart, but it's not worth even that.

(However, if they WOULD give it away for free, i'd still swipe it up. I can always make seat covers for the car or rugs with it, or maybe even charity items, depending on the items, wouldn't want someone to be chaffed.)

LB Homespun and Fun Fur were created to be torture devices. Either one are fine for knitting, crochet, noooo.

Caron SS sqeaks on the hook, splits, and i'm just not that crazy about it.

My favorites are Universal's Classic Worsted and Vanna's Choice.

I love the way Sensations Rainbow boucle looks when it's worked up-- but I just can't use it. The entire center of the skein comes out in a tangle of "yarn barf" when you go to use it, and boucle is so hard to frog and de-tangle. Come to think of it almost every big skein (300g and more) I've used of all different sorts of yarn have had serious knots inside.

Yarn barf :lol (Wonder if that could be a C'ville glossary term? lol)

Paton's Be Mine. Thankfully I only bought 2 of them at Big Lots once so it was only a $2.00 expense. I used it all up making caps and booties for friends who were having babies and couldn't stand it the entire time. Won't use it again no matter what.

Combined with a ww 100% acrylic, i LOVE Be Mine for knitting baby blankets. Crocheting with it would probably make me pull my hair out.

Originally for me it was RH Super Saver, then I added Homespun. Now I am also adding Masala by Paton. I think it is even worse than Homespun. It is like crocheting fish hooks or velcro. It gets stuck on everything, hook, me, my clothes, itself...

I bought 8 skeins because it felt so like Sensations Rainbow Brushed Acrylic when in the skein, but other than that, it is horrid. Symphony is similar but doesn't stick as much.

I worked with furs and boucles and love using them, so never suspected I would have a problem with these. I guess we all have to live and learn, like the old saying,"nothing ventured, nothing gained". I still have 5 skeins left of the Masala, may have to give it away.

My worst was Paton's Glittallic. I made a shawl using the blue color. I put it aside so many times because the yarn drove me crazy, splitting, snarling/knotting & it was heck on my hands. I finally finished the shawl. It's pretty but more scratchy than soft. I think I should frame the darn thing simply because I finished it!

My worst was Paton's Glittallic. I made a shawl using the blue color. I put it aside so many times because the yarn drove me crazy, splitting, snarling/knotting & it was heck on my hands. I finally finished the shawl. It's pretty but more scratchy than soft. I think I should frame the darn thing simply because I finished it!

I bought 3 balls of Glittallic on a whim and loathed it while trying to use it. I did however like the pretty shiny nylon ribbon part of it so I split it and threw all the furry parts away.

Red Heart/simply soft . I've been exposed for far to long now to "the good stuff" and will never go back to that stuff. Lion Brand's Incredible should be called incredibad. I HATE it.

How funny... I LOVE Incredible. I think it makes very cute hats.

I like simply soft pretty well too, come to think of it, and redheart doesn't bother me too bad.

I hate homespun tho.

Archived