graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

ok silly question but where do you find graphgans at I'm looking at all of your work and I'm thinking of making myself a graphgan so that way I can test it on myself

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't make my own but I know some of the gals do. I get mine from a gal on ebay. we have become pretty good friends and if I have a special request she does her best to come up with something.

ok silly question but where do you find graphgans at I'm looking at all of your work and I'm thinking of making myself a graphgan so that way I can test it on myself

I used a picture of my father's car saved on my computer and went to http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro.htm to upload it and it generated the graph for me. Others pencil it out by hand on graph paper. It's so much fun and I already have other ideas planned out for my next graph projects. Good luck!

Cool. I will probably be around for a while since I have a few more to do!!!LOL

I will join. I am making an afghan of my Grandparents with the pattern that Todd Paschall sent me. It is all single crochet.

Hello everyone, I just want to say that you are all making (have finished) such gorgeous afghans. So far I have only made a tote bag using a graph, and it only used two colors.

I have a question. How do you use more than two colors? I want to be brave and make one using three colors (oh so brave I know lol) but I am not sure how to do this. With the two colors I just crocheted over the color I wasn't using (so I guess that means I carried it??). Should I just leave the thread hanging and pick it up again when I need a color? If I do that won't the back of the afghan be all messy looking?

Yes, drop the yarn and let it hang. They have said rule of thumb is not to carry yarn over any more than 5 stitches. I only carry over 1-3, I know it makes for more ends to be woven in, but in the long run it gives you a better look. If you have to use more balls of yarn so there will not be a long line of yarn on the back. The back should really look just like the front.

Diana, You can google graph afghans for sites that sell patterns. Good luck and have fun finding the right pattern, look forward to seeing what you pick out. Read the first post in this thread please. It will give you information on what not to post here. I hope everyone is enjoying their projects.

Ok ladies, help me out. Should I enter Elvis in the county fair? That would mean I give the afghan to my cousin and then ask for it back for a week a month later. My DH says do it. I have never entered anything in the fair.

Ok ladies, help me out. Should I enter Elvis in the county fair? That would mean I give the afghan to my cousin and then ask for it back for a week a month later. My DH says do it. I have never entered anything in the fair.

It's a lot of fun entering items into the county fair. Go for it

I have a question. I am working on an afghan with multiple color changes. I have to change colors every few stitches. All though I am only row 6 (I think that's the row) how can I make the back of the afghan look just as good as the front. Because there will be hundreds of yarn tails to weave in.

I am entering the afghan in my art festival's juried contest. My art festival is different than most. The judges look at all of your items. Not just one is being judged but the whole thing! I will naturally be putting all of my best pieces in the front of the booth.

My husband keeps bugging me and bugging me to finish the afghan of my grandparents. He knows that afghan would win me best in the show.

Do it! I agree with your DH. Hey after all if you win your cousin will have a prize winning afghan! Which would make it more special.

on the border of this afghan. I am thiking that after this row of white doing a few rows of the red. I am not sure though if I want to do another row of blue then the red or just go to the red now. I have never had an afghan that I had so much struggle with the border!!!LOL

post-9755-135897421565_thumb.jpg

Diane how much bigger do you want it to be? If the red would finish it off then I would do red now. Your afghan along with everyone else's are really nice.

Thanks!! I wanted it to be about 48 inches in width. It is almost there. I think that is what I am going to do. Finish off this bit of white and then do a few rows of the red. I had my husband sit and put it over his legs to see how well it fits. I think that I am almost there.

Thanks.

Diane how much bigger do you want it to be? If the red would finish it off then I would do red now. Your afghan along with everyone else's are really nice.

Can someone explain to me what an H afghan hook is and can I use the hooks I already have or do I need to specifically get a new hook

Ok thanks I thought when I was looking at my first graphgan to do it said an H afghan hook and I thought to myself does that really mean I need to buy another hook when I have a hook in practically every size so I'm glad to hear that I don't need to go and buy anymore hooks ok except for my beloved light hooks

Archived