graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the big step today,:clap I got my yarn for my Chicago Cubs graph, I got clothes pins for my bobbins how does that sound so far? I hope to give it a start this weekend. This will be my very first try. I'm excited.

BTW has anyone noticed the changes being made in your hobby Lobby's They hardly have any Red Heart yarn any more and the whole store seems to be carrying a lot less of everything. Or could it be the season changes already for the fall season. Gee it's not summer yet LOLOL Well i'm off to study my pattern and try to get a grip on how to do this.

everyones ghans look great. Thank you so much for all the help everyone has given me. :hug

That's great! If you have any questions or just need a bit of prodding, don't hesitate to ask any of us!

Thanks Judy, I couldn't wait tell the weekend I started this evening :) I'm on row 8 of the back ground. I'm sure I will need help lol I think I can, I think I can lol will post a pic when i begin the design. I'm off to add a few more rows.

I'm confused and i'm only on the second row of the design. I have a problem. When I go across the first row everything was fine, then when I came back across the yarn was in the front. So I guess what i'm asking is how do I get my back to stay the back. Lol i'm having a hard time explaining myself.

Another question is. how many bobbins of one color do you make. I'm so confused lol you can tell i'm a first timer for sure. :(

I'm confused and i'm only on the second row of the design. I have a problem. When I go across the first row everything was fine, then when I came back across the yarn was in the front. So I guess what i'm asking is how do I get my back to stay the back. Lol i'm having a hard time explaining myself.

Another question is. how many bobbins of one color do you make. I'm so confused lol you can tell i'm a first timer for sure. :(

If I understand the first question, are you talking about keeping the yarn to the back when you change colors? If that's the case, you have to deliberately move the yarn to the back, usually between 2 stitches.

The number of bobbins is dependent on how many times you will need to use that color. If you have 15 red circles in the afghan and each circle is separated from each other, you could end up with 15 bobbins of red. If I have an extremely large area of one color, I will likely try to use it directly from the skein.

Way to go Southern Judy! Your doing great so far. My blanket only has 3 different colors and I'm up to 22 bobbbins. :eek There is alot of color breaks.

Judy, I can't believe that was #6. Showoff, LOL! I thought I had finished with my swap stuff, but I added a couple of more items. I am now officially done. I will start back on my blanket tonight. :cheer I'm also going to start another one. It is going to be a Halloween one, nothing like starting early. I guess I don't have enough going on. I can't wait to see pics of your blanket Southern Judy.

Happy crocheting.

Don't feel bad Southern Judy. I frogged mine twice and I'm still not liking it. I think it's more the colors. I'm doing a Harley blanket for my cousin and its orange, black and brown. Very boring colors. It will get better as you go along. Keep thinking positive. :cheer

Don't feel bad Southern Judy. I frogged mine twice and I'm still not liking it. I think it's more the colors. I'm doing a Harley blanket for my cousin and its orange, black and brown. Very boring colors. It will get better as you go along. Keep thinking positive. :cheer

thanks Tailspin,

I haven't worked on it since the frogging but i will get back to it after the long weekend. I'm glad everyone is so helpful cause i sure couldn't figure out how to bring the yarn back and forth, How do you make sure that all your loose ends are on one side? Do you only cut them on even rows or odd rows? Humm

that I can learn to do this it seems like so much fun tell I got to the design lol I guess you just have to keep at it. I need to find a tutorial or something. i can't figure out how you all keep all you ends on one side. I think i have to many questions lol I don't give up easy so hopefully i will figure this out. Geez how hard could it be!!! Did ya'll have this much trouble when you started out?

Hope you all having a great weekend. I'm B B Q ing today and making homemade ice cream yum yum!!! :manyheart

I hope you're all having fun making your graph ghans!

I just read through this thread for the first time in a long while, and came across some posts that had to be removed due to some issues with our copyright/trademark guidelines.

Back in February, I posted in this thread with information about those guidelines. I know lots of new people have joined this CAL since I posted that. I also realize some people don't always go back and read every single post in long threads before they start participating. So I thought it would be a good idea to give everyone a reminder to go read my post from February if you haven't run across it yet. Even if you have, you may want to read it again if it's been awhile since you've read it.

To help make sure everyone participating in this thread (now and in the future) knows about the copyright/trademark issues before posting, I've also added this message to the first post in this thread. Hopefully, it will prevent any future problems from occurring.

NOTE FROM ADMIN: Many people like to make graph ghans featuring characters or logos that are trademarked and/or copyrighted. We have some very specific forum guidelines relating to this issue. Before posting in this thread, please be sure to read POST #25 for more information. Thank you for helping us keep this site free of legal troubles related to contributory trademark and/or copyright infringement.

If you've made a mistake regarding copyright/trademark because you weren't aware of the issues, don't worry about it. I know most mistakes are not deliberate, but are just because someone didn't realize the all the legal issues involved. A mistake here and there isn't going to be held against you in any way.

As always, if you have any questions about our trademark/copyright guidelines, just send me a PM. I'm always happy to address any questions or concerns anybody may have. :)

Thank you Amy!!!!

We could all use a reminder from time to time!!!

I hope you're all having fun making your graph ghans!

I just read through this thread for the first time in a long while, and came across some posts that had to be removed due to some issues with our copyright/trademark guidelines.

Back in February, I posted in this thread with information about those guidelines. I know lots of new people have joined this CAL since I posted that. I also realize some people don't always go back and read every single post in long threads before they start participating. So I thought it would be a good idea to give everyone a reminder to go read my post from February if you haven't run across it yet. Even if you have, you may want to read it again if it's been awhile since you've read it.

To help make sure everyone participating in this thread (now and in the future) knows about the copyright/trademark issues before posting, I've also added this message to the first post in this thread. Hopefully, it will prevent any future problems from occurring.

NOTE FROM ADMIN: Many people like to make graph ghans featuring characters or logos that are trademarked and/or copyrighted. We have some very specific forum guidelines relating to this issue. Before posting in this thread, please be sure to read POST #25 for more information. Thank you for helping us keep this site free of legal troubles related to contributory trademark and/or copyright infringement.

If you've made a mistake regarding copyright/trademark because you weren't aware of the issues, don't worry about it. I know most mistakes are not deliberate, but are just because someone didn't realize the all the legal issues involved. A mistake here and there isn't going to be held against you in any way.

As always, if you have any questions about our trademark/copyright guidelines, just send me a PM. I'm always happy to address any questions or concerns anybody may have. :)

I still must be doing something wrong i have ends on both sides I have no right side and back side grrr!! i'm going crazy lolol Just when I think got it I don't lol I need a step by step guide lol I'm not giving up tho. I have tried to find a tutorial on graphs that kinda tells in detail what to do but not much out there. I feel so newbie lol I am, I am lol I have to laugh at myself I feel so silly that i can't seem to grasp this and everyone else is just going to town on theirs. well i'm back to the needle i'm going to do this one way or another.

Judy, just put a marker on your right side and before ending one color look for the marker and make sure the tail of the OLD color is on the other side from where the marker is.

Don't rush yourself....

Thanks I will keep trying :) I think I must have it in my head that it is suppose to look different than it should. thanks for the tip on keeping the colors on one side. The practice heart i did I just wove the ends in on both sides lol

I have ends on both sides, judy, I don't know how to end it only in the back. I really should go weave in ends, it's been since the letters since I have woven in ends. I am sorry that we messed up the rules about copyright AMy, and I am sorry to those whoes posts got deleted. I know I can't share my pattern, but I can post a picture of the finished afghan.

This is the picture of my flag afghan so far. Honey Dew and I decided it does actually count as a graph ghan because I have more than one color going at a time

post-19337-135897410445_thumb.jpg

Another reminder: If you can't post a URL here because a site has been added to our filters, then that URL should also not be shared with other Crochetville members via PM or email. Thanks for helping us keep this site and its members free from legal troubles related to contributory trademark/copyright infringement!

If you don't understand why things need to be this way, or if you have concerns/questions about our copyright/trademark guidelines, please PM me! I'll be happy to answer your questions. :)

Thanks I will keep trying :) I think I must have it in my head that it is suppose to look different than it should. thanks for the tip on keeping the colors on one side. The practice heart i did I just wove the ends in on both sides lol

LOL, now that would work! Who is going to know which side you wove your ends in besides you? I would have to really study it to know!

Well I decided to jump right in on my dad's race car afghan (I was going to start with a simpler Carebear blanket but didn't like the yarn I bought so have to go back for a different brand for that one). I couldn't wait any longer so just dove right in. I did 6" of the background color and then began with the race track and am now in the middle of 2 wheels. I originally thought I would only need 4 or 5 colors but decided to do some shading to make the car more 3D so I will be using about 9 colors for the car and track and then 2 or 3 colors for the Team Karls Racing across the top. I am about 10" into it and so far have 16 strands going. I am really enjoying making this and will post a pic of my progress when I get a bit more of the car done.

All the posted pics look so wonderful!!! I already have a ton of ideas for future graphghans I want to do. :-)

The car ghan sounds really neat! I look forward to seeing it.

Hi, I'd like to join in on your crochet-along. May I?

I have just finished a throw for my DD's school for their school silent auction. I used the logo of the school as my design and this was my first graph afghan ever. There are many things I would've changed on the design such as no circles and no curved letters in the circle or make the letters bigger. I don't know why my count was always off on the left-to-right rows or why I lose 1 or 2 stitches somewhere.

I hope I've learned from that first one because I'm ready to tackle a second graph afghan...a Chargers blanket for my husband.

Thanks,

Jackie

:welcome

Great afghans guys they all look great. Glad you got yours done judy, it looks great. I have lost my mojo on this afghan. I think I will start another. I am so not into it. I need encouragement I guess. Both projects I am doing I am not crocheting on. I haven't touched a hook in almost a week. I guess I need to go visit some one who crochets, and have a little crochet party.Hint hint. Christy? Thank you for not seeing the jagged edges. Thank your hubby too. Good to see so many new faces! Any one who wants to join in can, you are welcome to our group.

Wow! Sorrry I haven't been on here in a while, I am sooo gonna try to see you in June!! :hug

I started a new afghan, now I have three going. This one is a ripple in white coconut simply soft, on sale. I know I shouldn't have but I have a wedding to go to in july that I am making this for. I will try to squeeze the graph ghan in there some where. I did make some progress, but I am stuck with a tangle. Might have to cut an restart some spots. It is getting to be exiting watching it grow.

Come on people, where are you at? I hope busy crocheting on the graph afghans or other crochet work. Have fun! Happy mothers day!

I have a couple few things going too! Very hard to stick with one :devil

Well I am back again, I have two graph afghan started. One is a mama and baby giraffe and the other is a hockey one. I am a glutton for punishment.

Oooo I am really looking forward to the giraffe one. I am a sucker for critters!

Im scared, but DH told me that I can do anything if its made out of yarn so Im gonna give it a go. I bought me a ton of yarn, printed me a Calgary Flames graph and Im going to read all the tips again. =)

That is so sweet to have a cheering squad of one at home! :cheer

Here's another....can't figure out how to get all pics done at once yet....

front and back

looking good

It's 44 inches square - good lapghan size...and the dark color is green.

Looks awesome, I love it!! And thanks for the comment on my flag ghan :yes

I finally had a chance to upload pix of the baby graph ghan I'm making. It's a blue teddy bear.

Stacey

That is going to be so cute! :clap

Hi all! I have been crocheting for a while, but am wanting to venture into this crazy thing we call "Graph Ghans". my oldest son is leaving for college in the fall and I am wanting to make him one with his college mascot on it. I hope to share my progress with you and if you have any advice for me....Please don't hesitate to share!

Is Carol Ventura the best person to watch tutorials or do you know anyone else? Is You-tube another good place to start?:hook

Thanks in advance and hope to see ya around!:yes

Archived