graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

Christi, your blanket is beautiful. It looks huge. I had plans to work on my blanket this weekend, but my ac broke. So, it was too hot. I'm getting it fixed right now, so back to the graph:cheer. Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Lisa. I need to finish it by August. It is to be my anniversary present to my husband. I was going to cross stitch an eagle on it but..... I dunno about that. And as hot as it is I will probably only work on the stars today!

Catch you all later and keep up the good work!

Well I started another one. Now I have 3 different graphs going. This one is one of Elvis. I have a cousin who is turning 50 in July and Elvis is his all time favorite performer. So far I am 20 rows in. I love it because it is only 2 colors, black and white.

Hi gals, I just joined and am new at this thread thing. Hope I am doing this right. I have made many graphs and they have been raffled at charity events and one was raffled for our volunteer fire department. I like doing the single better because you can see the graph the same on both sides, not so for tunisian. If you put words in, of course they are backwards on the back side.

However, I still prefer the single crochet. One thing I do when I put the end threads in, is, I use a fabric glue that dries clear. I put a dab on the yarn and then weave the ends in so they will not come out. The clear glue holds and it does not come out when washed.

JoAnn, I can't believe you have 3 graphs going at the same time. I have enough trouble doing one. I may be able to do more if I stop joining all these cals and classes. :D Can't wait to see the Elvis one.

Elaine, welcome. The ladies here are great. Just look at JoAnn, lol. Hope to see some pics of your work soon. Are you working on anything now?

Judy, are you working on anything now? I think you and JoAnn need a break.

Well, off to finish a sampler for class. Then to do some more rows on my graph.

I am glad you joined us , we like new faces. Is everyone doing well on their afghans? Love the flag afghan that is a big sucker. I am glad that one isn't mine. Your husband will love it.

I have posted three times in this thread with reminders for people to make sure they're following our trademark/copyright guidelines when they post. Somehow, people aren't reading or paying attention to what I've posted, because I keep having to edit/delete posts to make them comply with our guidelines. I know member don't like it when I have to do that to their posts and contact them about the issue, and I don't like having to do it either. :no So maybe we can work together so I won't keep having to do this.

For the moment, I'm moving this thread over to an archive area so I can do the clean-up I need to do. I'm letting you know so that if you try to access the thread and you get an error message, you'll know why and won't panic that the thread is permanently gone. When I finish cleaning it up, I'll move it back to the CAL folder for everyone's continued enjoyment. :)

I really need everyone's help in making sure our guidelines are followed: no posting links to unlicensed patterns or discussing those sites by name or referring to them in any way via post, private message, or email to other members.

I don't want to have to close the thread down. I really don't, as I know most of you are having fun and following the guidelines. I know I've only had the reminder appearing in the first post of the thread for a short time. So maybe once it's been there a few more days, there won't be any more problematic posts in this thread. For now, if you notice that something has been posted that shouldn't be here, please use the "Report Post" button (the little white triangle outlined in red) to let me know about that post. The forum will send a message just to Donna and me, and you can include a short note telling us what the problem is. We'll edit or delete as needed, and send a nice, friendly note to the poster telling them why what they posted was a problem. We won't tell anyone who reported a post---we always maintain our members' privacy in situations like that.

Thanks for helping me make sure Crochetville doesn't get in legal trouble for contributory trademark and/or copyright infringement. This site ranks very high in search engine results, and I don't want Disney or NASCAR or John Deere or any other company that stringently enforces their trademarks to have any reason to take action against us.

Okay, I've finished cleaning up the thread and moved it back to the CAL forum.

Reminder: No links to, mention of, discussion of, or hints at how to find any sites that may be distributing patterns of trademarked/copyrighted characters/images/logos/etc., unless that site has a very clear statement that all intellectual property is being used with permission or that the patterns are officially licensed. This applies to posts, PMs, and email to other Crochetville members.

If you have any question about whether you can post about a particular site, please send me an email with a link to the site in question. I'll be very happy to let you know if you can let others know about that site. It's much nicer and happier for all of us if I can answer questions PRIOR to something being posted. Having to edit/delete/contact members about a guideline issue after something's already been posted just makes all of us sad. :(

Hi all. Here is the first work on my graph. Would one of you please take a gander and let me know if you think I'm on the right track. I'm doing sc, it should be exactly the same on both sides. Any tips or tricks welcome! This is only a two color pattern and a really general shape, not a lot of detail.

Thanks in advance!

post-15513-135897411221_thumb.jpg

Looks good. :cheer Only tip I can give you is DO NOT carry the brown behind the beige. The brown will show through, and you end up with a two tone afghan. Rule of thumb is do not carry over more than 5 stitches. Myself, I don't carry any dark behind any light colored. Right now I am working on one that is black and white, and there is a part that is 1 white stitch, 2 black, 2 white, I am using 3 separate bobbins. Good job and I can't wait to see the finished product. :hook

Sounds great Diane. My first graph is a detroit Lions afghan of a football helmet with the words are you ready for some football. I am working on the bottom letters. Finding it hard to change colors in the middle of the stitch. Hard to remember.

Hello snapdragon. Another Detroit Lions fan here (I know..I know :blush) Did you make the graph yourself or did you purchase it? This would be a great present for the husband.

I am going to try my hand at this. Gotta make my plan and get to the store before all the yarn is gone :lol:lol. Probably have enough in my stash to make 10 afghans.

Looks good. :cheer Only tip I can give you is DO NOT carry the brown behind the beige. The brown will show through, and you end up with a two tone afghan. Rule of thumb is do not carry over more than 5 stitches. Myself, I don't carry any dark behind any light colored. Right now I am working on one that is black and white, and there is a part that is 1 white stitch, 2 black, 2 white, I am using 3 separate bobbins. Good job and I can't wait to see the finished product. :hook

Thanks so much for the tip, so far I have not carried the darker color at all just for the reason you stated, it worried me! I haven't put any on bobbins yet....easier than working from the skein?

I find it eaiser to work with bobbins if you have a small amount of stitches to do in one color. A small bobbin doesn't seem to get in the way as a big skein sometimes does.

I made the pattern myself. I couldn't find one. Just the lion part. The rest was a purchased pattern. I told my brotherinlaw it was a losing team, lol, he says he still likes them. I finished two more skeins on my wedding afghan when I am done with four more I can start on the football afghan again.

I find it eaiser to work with bobbins if you have a small amount of stitches to do in one color. A small bobbin doesn't seem to get in the way as a big skein sometimes does.

I get the bobbin-thing and why one would want to use one!!!!!

I use bobbins when I an dealing with a lot of colors, and there are not that many stitches of that color. 10 bobbins on the back of your afghan is sure easier to deal with then 10 skeins of yarn. The afghan I am working on right now is only black and white, but is a face, so there are many places where there are 1 -3 stitches, 3 rows high, a bobbin works very well there.

Here is my progress on my dad's race car. I was about 10 rows further than this but had to take it all out as I was unhappy with the horses running down the side. The graph smooshed it too much so I graphed that part by hand and have started on it again.

post-13117-135897412465_thumb.jpg

post-13117-135897412467_thumb.jpg

Hi gals, I just joined and am new at this thread thing. Hope I am doing this right. I have made many graphs and they have been raffled at charity events and one was raffled for our volunteer fire department. I like doing the single better because you can see the graph the same on both sides, not so for tunisian. If you put words in, of course they are backwards on the back side.

However, I still prefer the single crochet. One thing I do when I put the end threads in, is, I use a fabric glue that dries clear. I put a dab on the yarn and then weave the ends in so they will not come out. The clear glue holds and it does not come out when washed.

Thanks for the tip of the clear drying fabric glue, I think that is a wonderful idea!

Hi all. Here is the first work on my graph. Would one of you please take a gander and let me know if you think I'm on the right track. I'm doing sc, it should be exactly the same on both sides. Any tips or tricks welcome! This is only a two color pattern and a really general shape, not a lot of detail.

Thanks in advance!

I think it looks great so far!

Here is my progress on my dad's race car. I was about 10 rows further than this but had to take it all out as I was unhappy with the horses running down the side. The graph smooshed it too much so I graphed that part by hand and have started on it again.

OMgosh, that is very cool :clap

As promised, Elvis so far.

[ATTACH]2650[/ATTACH]

Thats so cool!!! You gals makes these graphs look so easy. ;-) I'm working on my Cubs graph but it's going slow summer time slows me down a bit, lots going on. Your work looks great. Is this for yourself or as a gift? Either way someone is very lucky. I only hope that I can master these as well as you have. My biggest problem is I can't figure out how everyone keeps all there loose ends on one side. I have to keep cutting and going on cause when I do one row it never meets up on the next row with out going over to many stitches to continue the next color so i'm doing a lot of weaving. Congrats on your work it's great!!!

Archived