graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

Your GD looked great in her sweater, Christie. I pm'd you about Bobby, I am pretty fed up.

Everyones work looks great. I wish I could get fired up about mine but I am frustrated. It doesn't look good. It has alot of jagged edges.

Awww sweetie :hug. I love you! I could drive up there and pick just you up and bring you back here for a week long vacation :yes We'll just sit and :crocheting and I will help you figure out why it is that way. Otherwise I won't be up that way until June, at which time we will be doing a small memorial for Mom.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your GD looked great in her sweater, Christie. I pm'd you about Bobby, I am pretty fed up.

Everyones work looks great. I wish I could get fired up about mine but I am frustrated. It doesn't look good. It has alot of jagged edges.

Explain what you mean by jagged edges, or better yet post a picture of it. Let me see it and maybe I can help you out. Where are you in Michigan?

Judy, I can't wait to see your finished blanket.

JoAnn, I'm having the same trouble as snapdragon. Could you possibly help me. My edges are very jagged and I would like to learn how to do it correctly instead of filling it in later. I'm doing a Harley blanket that has flames coming up the blanket. My problem seems to oocur when the next row has more stitches in a particular color. I hope that makes sense.

Here's a pic:

http://http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm267/tailspin1965/012.jpg

http://http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm267/tailspin1965/041.jpg

I guys have been lurking around this CAl for a while now and would like to get and start a graph ghan.

I would like to make medium sized squares with individual pictures of my cats, have used knit pro to create a graph. Need some help in working out different colours, the printed graph came out all blured (might be ink running out).

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

I'm weaving in ends on my pet graph ghan! Then the finishing...by next week I should have a picture to share:hook

:clap I can't wait to see it finished. Although I'm sure your husband is much more anxious!

I guys have been lurking around this CAl for a while now and would like to get and start a graph ghan.

I would like to make medium sized squares with individual pictures of my cats, have used knit pro to create a graph. Need some help in working out different colours, the printed graph came out all blured (might be ink running out).

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

That is awesome! Glad to have you in here. Mine, when I start will be sponge bob :badidea Actually I will end up doing two of them, my grandsons in Illinois are crazy about him.... but he makes me crazy!

JoAnn, let's try this. I think I figures out what's going on. The last pic is the graph that I'm doing. Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm267/tailspin1965/041.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm267/tailspin1965/012.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm267/tailspin1965/002-2.jpg

That is how is going to look. It only looks bad because you think it does. Check out this closeup of the one I just finished. There are jagged edges in it, but it was ok.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/crazycrochet/?action=view&current=closeup.jpg

03-13-09_1908.jpg There is my picture, it's further along now, but not by much.03-13-09_1909.jpg And here are some of my bobbins. There, proof, Ha! It looks screwed up where the football helmet is started. I will try to get another picture soon. So it's supposed to look jagged? Then maybe I am not doing it wrong.

I will get closeups later. But I see that it's the same with others afghans so maybe it's ok. I live a good ways from portage that's for sure. I live in Muskegon.

Christie, I would love to come there and spend the week, but alas I can't due to Bobby right now. I would settle for a weekend. Then I could crochet to my hearts content and chat with you. I did finally get to the bottom of the mess on his floor and vacuemed and steam cleaned it. Took away alot of toys too. Need to wash them but I am too tired. How far is portage and how far is it from coldwater? It would be nice to meet up somewhere in between. Hubby is talking about going away for the week soon and I am in a panic, he wants to know how I lived with out him before he came along. I reminded him I had parents then and my ex was in the picture, so I had help with my son. For those who don't know, my son is autistic and twenty five years old. He has been a handful lately.

I was in Muskegon last night for the hockey game. Not sure if I ever want to come back up for another. Pretty sad when the Muskegon fans behind you assault you verbaly the entire game. Never heard such foul language in my life, security just stood there and shook their heads, Sad.

Portage is one and 1/2 hours down 131. Coldwater is about 20 -25 minutes futher south on 131, Grand Rapids might be a good meeting place.

Glad you could see that the jagged edges are part of the afghan. Judianne is right, we see them because we are all so critical of our own work, the untrained eyes only see beauty.

Learning Tunisian...welll, it's up to you. I always do sc, since I'm not that comfortable with T. I'm working on a wedding ghan that involves small sections for the letters...I just use another piece of that color to avoid carrying too many strands across the back. You get a lot of ends, but it's worth the extra work.

If not a purchased pattern, most of my graph ghans were ones I designed myself (see olderposts in my blog)...so I have no experience with the program you're talking about. I just get out the graph paper and pencil:lol

And practicing like that with the x st pattern is a great idea!

Thanks Judy for your response!! I was just able to look at your blog and I am amazed at how many beautiful things you have made! The bear with the bat is soooo adorable. In the next few days I will be going through my stash to find suitable colors to start my graphghan Carebear for my daughter and see how it goes. On your bear, was the back of it neat or messy? Thanks for the inspiration to start my own!

Judy, the blanket came out gorgeous!!! I hope your dh loves it.

JoAnn, thanks for the info about the jagged edges. Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been under the weather the last few days. I guess, I'll just keep going and see what it looks like when I'm done. I guess I expect perfection.

Snapdragon, your blanket looks great so far. From what I see, the letters look good. I'm a little worried about how my wording will look. But, I'll take JoAnn and Judy's advice about the jagged edges.

Everyone's work looks so beautiful. I am now eager to continue working on mine.

Thanks for all your help. :clap

Christi...DH LOVES the ghan...and I haven't finished the border yet! I spread it out on the loveseat and he was amazed. The border is only my personal thing...He probably couldn't care less:)

That is great. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, haven't been on the computer for a few days. Holidays and families. Got busy.

03-13-09_1908.jpg There is my picture, it's further along now, but not by much.03-13-09_1909.jpg And here are some of my bobbins. There, proof, Ha! It looks screwed up where the football helmet is started. I will try to get another picture soon. So it's supposed to look jagged? Then maybe I am not doing it wrong.

That is great HoneyDew and what jagged edges are you talking about?? Colt said "jagged edges? What arre you talking about?" then he said you must be smoking dope. LOL Sorry ladies... my husbands sense of humor :think:yes

I was in Muskegon last night for the hockey game. Not sure if I ever want to come back up for another. Pretty sad when the Muskegon fans behind you assault you verbaly the entire game. Never heard such foul language in my life, security just stood there and shook their heads, Sad.

Portage is one and 1/2 hours down 131. Coldwater is about 20 -25 minutes futher south on 131, Grand Rapids might be a good meeting place.

Glad you could see that the jagged edges are part of the afghan. Judianne is right, we see them because we are all so critical of our own work, the untrained eyes only see beauty.

She asks that JoAnne cause I live by Coldwater and she is in Muskegon. So you must be right in between us in Portage. In fact I am sure my daughter has done stuff for band there! And since Muskegon is my home town I will offer you a personal apology for the conduct of the natives! I am sooo sorry. The people there are not usually that rude. I gues you have bad apples in every cart. it is sad!

The last 2 GSD names are my current furbabies.

th_HPIM0792.jpg

th_HPIM0793.jpg

:applause That is definatly a labor of :bheart and it shows! It is gorgeous!! Aww, it is really tugging my heart strings and making me teary! :hug I really do love it Judy

Well I decided to jump right in on my dad's race car afghan (I was going to start with a simpler Carebear blanket but didn't like the yarn I bought so have to go back for a different brand for that one). I couldn't wait any longer so just dove right in. I did 6" of the background color and then began with the race track and am now in the middle of 2 wheels. I originally thought I would only need 4 or 5 colors but decided to do some shading to make the car more 3D so I will be using about 9 colors for the car and track and then 2 or 3 colors for the Team Karls Racing across the top. I am about 10" into it and so far have 16 strands going. I am really enjoying making this and will post a pic of my progress when I get a bit more of the car done.

All the posted pics look so wonderful!!! I already have a ton of ideas for future graphghans I want to do. :-)

Hi, I'd like to join in on your crochet-along. May I?

I have just finished a throw for my DD's school for their school silent auction. I used the logo of the school as my design and this was my first graph afghan ever. There are many things I would've changed on the design such as no circles and no curved letters in the circle or make the letters bigger. I don't know why my count was always off on the left-to-right rows or why I lose 1 or 2 stitches somewhere.

I hope I've learned from that first one because I'm ready to tackle a second graph afghan...a Chargers blanket for my husband.

Thanks,

Jackie

Archived