graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

Diane, your work looks awesome so far!

I have three of these that I need to do. I have already done an Army graphghan for a friend's son, now his wife is having a baby and I'm trying to decide what that graphghan will be. I also need to do another Army graphghan for a second son and a Harley Davidson one for my sis. I don't know when I"ll get started, but I'll subscribe to this thread and keep up as best I can.

Joyce

Wow, you have a lot of projects picked out, I guess you will be busy with graphs for a while. :yes

Here's a comfortghan made from Becky's Blocks pattern on Happy Yellow House site. I worked with graph paper to figure out how to do the "B" (family monogram) and then asked if they wanted initials (son died in Dec)...they did, so I made the initials separately from a pattern in 201 crochet motifs book and slip stitched them on once my neighbor showed me where she wanted them.

th_HPIM0750.jpg

That looks really nice Judy. Is that double crochet? Looks like it was time consuming.

I will post a photo of my sweater front sometime today.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here is my sweater front, I need to form the neckline, do the back panel and sew them together. Lost my motivation after finishing the swans and have been working on squares for another thread. Shame on me.

th_3109007.jpg

What do you think?

Christi, the ghan is from the Happy Yellow House site, the Becky's Blocks patter. 12 inch blocks, joined. The pattern is nice...DC's, etc...check it out!:hook

I will go look, thanks Judy. I really thought it was one piece :lol

Looking forward to pictures christie. I am now doing the single crochet rows on the afghan before the next picture part. It's growing in size again!

:clap You go Honey Dew!

Well, I have anew graph ghan project!

My neighbor's son and ours practically grew up together and I found out that this young man is getting married. Then I learned (yesterday) that it's going to be THIS June! :eek

I've decided to make a ghan with their names and the wedding date on it. I now have to see if I have some numbers in my X st books that I can use for this.:hook

You can get a ghan like that done by June? :applause

Ok, here is my sweater front, I need to form the neckline, do the back panel and sew them together. Lost my motivation after finishing the swans and have been working on squares for another thread. Shame on me.

th_3109007.jpg

What do you think?

Christi that is gorgeous. :clap

here's a hint that Im sure some of you use daily. but newcomers may find helpful ... I was shown this for cross stitch work by a co-worker and it helped me avoid so much recounting for graph work too!! ..

if your afghan/project is in blocks :

I take the origional graph, make copies..reducing the size..(usually 4 to a page) and use a highlighter to mark off each row as I complete it..

if your work is one piece, make a copy, using the same technique.reducing to about 75 percent .this way you have room for any notes..hook size..colors..etc.

your origional is still in great shape for the next time you want to use it..

Looks really good. I do the same thing. Get so far with something and don't want to work on it any more!LOL

th_3109007.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks Wendy and Judy! Now that I know I can do it I am going to have to find some patterns that I like. I'd like to find smaller, child size afghans to do, with 9 grandkids they will be the recipients!

Mary.... thanks for the tip. What exactly is a weight loss afghan?

Isn't that crazy Diane? LOL :) Course I have a three day weekend this weekend and a granddaughter having a birthday... she loves crocheted stuff. That should motivate me!

Christie it looks great! I hope you finish it, the granchild will only be that size a short time remind yourself that. Hope your grand daughter has a good birthday. It's nice when our work is apreciated. Judy that sounds good, you have a project! Looking forward to pictures guys I will post some soon.

Christi, your sweater looks great. One day I will attempt to do a wearable. Not any time soon, LOL.

Judy, I hope you find the letters you need. You seem to have alot of things going on. Good Luck. I still have some jagged edges, but didn't you say that would happen if the edges are curved?

Snapdragon, I hope to see pics of your project soon. It sounds like it is coming along.

I'll have some pics here soon, I'm finally getting going again. I have had a bad cold the last few days. Haven't felt like crocheting or doing any concentrating.

Happy crocheting all :hook

Good luck with that judy,lol. I hope you are able to get more than one done at a time, I can only figure on one at a time and it takes a steady spot for my afghan to be during the graph spots, so I hope youre's are more portable. Tailspin I hope you feel better soon, I have thank fully been able to avoid getting colds, knock on wood. I usually get bad colds that go to bronchititis every winter, especially when I was smoking. I didn't do that long though. I am glad I don't smoke anymore the coughing was bad. I hope everyone enjoys working on their afghans and what nots, I have my grandson here and it's my bed time so no graph ghan for me tonight, easier crocheting for me tonight.

Just wondered if I could join in. I love to do graph afghans. Check out my picture site and you will see. I am working on a hockey goalie one right now, it has to be done by March 14. Right now there are 16 different bobbins on the back of it. I will not carry a color over more than 5 stitches, and will never carry a dark behind a light.:crocheting

JoAnne, welcome aboard. Your blankets are grogeous!!

I'm still struggling with jagged edges. I have frogged it once, don't want to do that again. :eek I have watched videos and made sure I'm changing colors properly. Maybe, I'm just use to cross stitching, everything is so uniform. I know that there will be some jagged edges, but it doesn't seem to look as good as others I've seen in this forum. I'm hoping that it will look better the farther along I get. I won't give up!!! Thanks for all your help and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. Can't wait to see more pics soon, so I can compare.

Judy, my GSD puppy discovered his voice yesterday. He learned he can bark. I don't know if that is a good thing or not :lol. Husbands never realize we always do more than one thing at a time.

Happy Crocheting everyone.

JoAnne....they're all gorgeous! Did you make the graphs using only sc?? I've done some with DC, and was wondering if you did that too.. The baby ghan with the filet hearts - did you graph out the heart placement on your own? I use my own ideas with bought patterns.

Thanks, all the graphs are single crochet, except the one hockey rink one, that is the afghan stitch. WHICH I WILL NEVER DO AGAIN! The baby afghan is from crochetkim.com Kim Guzman, a teacher and member here on the ville has the pattern on her site. You do the frame first, that is the part with the filet hearts, and then make the name panel and sew them together. It is really easy and my favorite baby gift to make and give.

Good luck with that judy,lol. I hope you are able to get more than one done at a time, I can only figure on one at a time and it takes a steady spot for my afghan to be during the graph spots, so I hope youre's are more portable. Tailspin I hope you feel better soon, I have thank fully been able to avoid getting colds, knock on wood. I usually get bad colds that go to bronchititis every winter, especially when I was smoking. I didn't do that long though. I am glad I don't smoke anymore the coughing was bad. I hope everyone enjoys working on their afghans and what nots, I have my grandson here and it's my bed time so no graph ghan for me tonight, easier crocheting for me tonight.

You don't smoke anymore?! :clap:hug:clap

Just wondered if I could join in. I love to do graph afghans. Check out my picture site and you will see. I am working on a hockey goalie one right now, it has to be done by March 14. Right now there are 16 different bobbins on the back of it. I will not carry a color over more than 5 stitches, and will never carry a dark behind a light.:crocheting

:welcome JoAnne, I am going to look at your ghans now!

This weekend I must finish that sweater, someone will have to :kick to keep me on track as Karolyn's birthday is Wed. and they will do a b-day party for her next weekend!

I saw the afghans joanne did awhile back, she has alot of hockey ones that look dificult and alot of baby stuff. I enjoyed looking at them Joanne you do great work. She was the expert I was asking advise from before I started.

Christie you better get hopping! Yes I quit last year silly. I wasn't smoking the last time I saw you was I? I am glad I did. Thank you.

I did a few maybe three rows on the afghan and I am into the next set of graph work. Alot of blue then a little black and white. It's going smoothly for now. I put it all in a box and set it by me and did it in my easy chair, instead of the table. It worked out pretty good.

have not had a chance to work on mine for a few days now. I am missing it and missing getting on here much. Just stuff taking my time away from what I think I want to do!!!!LOL

Looking forward to everyone's pix as they get done

Diane join us when you can, Yes I would love to see pictures. I get a picture phone soon, then I can take and send pictures once my daughter shows me how. Not much to see right now. Keep Christie G in your thoughts she had some bad news recently.

Haven't had a chance to work on my blanket for a few days. I plan on spending the entire weekend working on it. I did weave in the ends that I had already acquired :clap. I hate that part. I can't wait to see everyone's progress. It seems like we all got a little busy. Christi, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything will be alright. Snapdragon, those picture phones are so much fun. Judy, how's your blanket coming along?

Judy I am glad youve started on your old one.

Tailspin, I am looking forward to learning how to use it, I guess the charges are kind of high for sending pictures so I better find my camera.

I have to work this weekend so not much crocheting getting done or anything else for that matter. The afghan isn't very portable.

Hello everyone, I have been looking at graph ghans for awhile and thinking of doing one myself. But for some reason the changing colors seem to bother me. So I am wondering does anyone have a favorite way of changing colors? I feel abit intimidated about this. thanks for any input.

Debra :)

Judy, did you get any done on your animal blanket? I went yarn shopping today. I got to go to Hobby Lobby annd Micheals today. I had to get some things for a swap. It was so much fun. I have way too much stash to be buying for myself. I plan on spending all day tomorrow on my blanket. Haven't worked on it in a while. Crochet and movie day. :cheer

DavaJ, go ahead and jump right in. It's not as hard as you think. There are alot of tutorials on the web to help you with a visual.

Snapdragon, how are you coming along with your blanket? Well, hope we get more activity soon.

Happy Crocheting:

Archived