graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Judy said. I don't know of any other way. It intimated me for a while at first, but, it is just old hat now for me. Just start on it and soon it will not bother you as much.

I do know a gal who will sc the afghan all in the background color and then cross stitch the design on. I would rather drop and pick up colors.

Hello everyone, I have been looking at graph ghans for awhile and thinking of doing one myself. But for some reason the changing colors seem to bother me. So I am wondering does anyone have a favorite way of changing colors? I feel abit intimidated about this. thanks for any input.

Debra :)

There's only one way to change colors that I know of: before making the last stitch of the sc in the old color, pick up the new color as you complete that stitch. It's always done this way before makingthe first complete stitch with that new color. And don't forget to always keep your yarn ends dangling from the wrong side - whichever you determine the wrong side to be.

:waving Hi ladies!! I can't believe I have spent 2 1/2 hours just reading posts on the 'ville! I'm getting so excited of all the things now I want to do! :hook

I have read all of your posts and if you ladies will let me join in and help me all the way I really would like to try my hand at this! ( I know I can do it! ;) )

My future DIL has asked me if I could do her an afghan in black and white. A white background with a big "L" monogram in the center. Of course, I said "sure"! ;) I can just picture it in my mind- white background, fairly big, not too big to cover a couch and cuddle with, with the "L" in the center and black ruffled border. Any ideas? Thanks for putting up with my 'lurking'!!!:(:hug

Michelle, you should have no problem finding a lovely L to put in the middle. Just do not carry the black yarn behind the white, it will show through. You should only have to have 3 seperate balls of yarn to work with. The one I just finished had 17 different balls of yarn to work with. I just made small balls and put 3-4 in a zip lock bag and went from there. Good luck I know you can do it.:hook

I agree with not carrying the white behind the black nor the black behind the white. I don't like to carry yarn behind, although I do from time to time to save having to tuck in that many more ends.

I got quite a bit more done o my cyclone afghan last night. Can't wait to get this one done.

You are more than welcome to join michelle. I am glad to have you. I am sure that any advise you get from judy and Joann and the others will be great advise. If you are new to this, there is a sticky under the clinic section that gives more advise on how to do it best.

I took a picture of my afghan so far, I have done like eight to six rows on it or more over the last few days. I am not sure I like how the black and white part look. I will put it up here as soon as I figure out how.

I bought yarn for the pink baby one with princess on it and my grand baby's name and I can't find the pattern! I will have to look for it, there was another pattern there too, It will also use pink yarn so I better get used to the color! I have let the yarn bobbins and skeins mingle for awhile in the box, instead of keeping them rolled up close to the project so my hubby helped me unmingle them. Didn't take long, not too many bobbins at this time. Thought I would be a little more relaxed about it and it wasn't the end of the world so.... not so uptight now. I need a bigger box.

Hi, Michelle,

Doing a graph ghan with the L in the middle should be easy as long as you're comfortable changing colors. If you don't want a "flowery" looking letter, I use graph paper to map it out. Otherwise there is place where you can download a "celtic" looking letter...though I can't remember where I saw it.

you can check out my blog (some pages back) for some of my graph designs

Thank you judianne! :) I will definitely check out your blog!

Michelle, you should have no problem finding a lovely L to put in the middle. Just do not carry the black yarn behind the white, it will show through. You should only have to have 3 seperate balls of yarn to work with. The one I just finished had 17 different balls of yarn to work with. I just made small balls and put 3-4 in a zip lock bag and went from there. Good luck I know you can do it.:hook

Thanks, crazycrochet, for the great advice and certainly for the vote of confidence! :D

I agree with not carrying the white behind the black nor the black behind the white. I don't like to carry yarn behind, although I do from time to time to save having to tuck in that many more ends.

I got quite a bit more done o my cyclone afghan last night. Can't wait to get this one done.

Thanks, dilyca! :)

You are more than welcome to join michelle. I am glad to have you. I am sure that any advise you get from judy and Joann and the others will be great advise. If you are new to this, there is a sticky under the clinic section that gives more advise on how to do it best.

I took a picture of my afghan so far, I have done like eight to six rows on it or more over the last few days. I am not sure I like how the black and white part look. I will put it up here as soon as I figure out how.

Thank you snapdragon for the warm welcome! :) I'm with you on the pictures-still trying to figure that out myself! :angry

I designed a Harry Potter graph ghan for my mm last year, but it's on my laptop and that is currently out of order, need to get it fixed.

Once I have it up and running again I can work out how much yarn I need and join you guys.

:cheerI got my laptop back, but it's not fixed:angry the guy said he didn't know what I wanted doing with it.

I told him to get rid of the virus and keep all my files and photo's, how hard is that to understand:think

Will take it to someone else now.

Hope you get that fixed soon so you can join us, I would love to see it. I asked on the other thread what you do for a living, just curious. Anyone else wants to share? I work in three, sometimes four group homes for developmentally disabled individuals. I am just helping out at the fourht one, training the new program coordinator. She was one of our best employees and she left us, sniff, sniff. I am a program coordinator at the other three.

Michelle, I am downloading pictures from a ceel phone, never done that before. I figured out how to do it with photo bucket with my other camera but I lost my camera and it hasn't showed up. It was trial and error figuring it out so I understand your frustration. You will get the hang of it and so will I once my daughter takes the time to show me.

Hope you get that fixed soon so you can join us, I would love to see it. I asked on the other thread what you do for a living, just curious. Anyone else wants to share? I work in three, sometimes four group homes for developmentally disabled individuals. I am just helping out at the fourht one, training the new program coordinator. She was one of our best employees and she left us, sniff, sniff. I am a program coordinator at the other three.

Michelle, I am downloading pictures from a ceel phone, never done that before. I figured out how to do it with photo bucket with my other camera but I lost my camera and it hasn't showed up. It was trial and error figuring it out so I understand your frustration. You will get the hang of it and so will I once my daughter takes the time to show me.

:D Never for me (on the cell) that is! I'm techy retarded!:rofl

Great work JoAnn! wish I was as fast as you. Had to work most of the day so not much crochet time today. Will do a few rows tomarro. I am also learning to do crohook in the class section so I am dividing my time. I learned to do graph afghans, did a first filet project with written instructions, and am learning to cro hook this year, big advance for me!

I got a bit more done on mine yesterday. I am really close to being half way done. I counted last night and I have 35 balls of yarn to be changing as I go along. within then next 10 rows or so I should be working some of them out!!!!

Great job Diane. I am slow. I haven't had much time. I can't think of many more excuses,lol. I wonder if Christie G will join us again. Where from Michigan are you from Toby? This is becoming a mainly Michigan group, there are four of us counting christie G.

I live in Sheridan. An hour from Lansing, Grand Rapids or Mt.Pleasant. We don't have any stop lights in our village. I was raised around Grand Ledge and raised my kids there. For me Grand Ledge will always be home.

Big seventh day adventist school there in Grand ledge. My husbnad been up there. I am about forty five minutes from grand rapids, over by Muskegon, in muskegon actually but on the border east.

My son and his family live east of Muskegon. They live 7 miles north and east of Fremont.

The campground they use to have there is all gone and has been turned into shopping strips.

Have you ever been to Hesperia? It's off of 20. They have a nice craft store, it's in a Variety store. Lots of yarn.

Yes I have been to Hesperia alot, my aunt lived there and I had a boyfriend who's mom lived there. Used to go to fireworks there for along time with my parents, then we would go to my aunts for more fireworks. Been to Fremont for the festival there alot too. Never went to the craft store in freemont though.

Archived