graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

Liv that looks tough, have you done a graph before? It looks like it would look nice but the number of bobbins would drive me batty.

Chris you need more bobins if you are carrying color and it's showing through. I should show you mine and the number of bobbins I have. I had a bobbin for three stiches in two spots.

I am writing the letter I am doing down as I do it and I wrote the letter down and then didn't do it. I am trying to use post it notes to try to keep track of what row I am doing, the magnet board would be better. I have done three rows now and if it weren't for the clothe pins clipping the ends of the yarn to keep it close to my project i would really be crazy about all the tangles. The tangles are much shorter, but I dread turning it each time. I forget to clip sometimes and then I have to find my bobbin. I couldn't imagine how it would look with the balls of yarn I had. If someone tells you hey this graph is good and it has lots of letters, run the other direction is all I have to say. Once past these letters I should be doing better. I am changing my colors in the last part of the single crochet before the color change so it looks like letters now so that's good. Thanks for the help guys and encouragment.

Next get to know you question. Tell me about your kids, or your pets, if those are your kids. I will answer later today, got to get busy this morning.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have not had much chance to work on mine the last couple of days. Hopefully tonight.

Looking forward to watching everyones progress as we all go along.

Nothing exciting with mine so far. 20 rows of red and 4 rows of white before I start any color changes. Just like every other graph that I have done, can't wait to see this one done!!!!!!!LOL

I am still checking in with you guys. I hope to finish my current WIP and be able to join in about a week. I did start on Dora with the border and about 3 rows of her shoes. I think I had 7 bobbins going. I know I will have areas of the pattern with more and some areas with fewer. Maybe by the weekend I'll be ready to pick up where I left off.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it is too late to join? I found some great graphs and now have to decide which one to start first. I'm going tomorrow to get the yarn. This would be my second graph ghan, the first was just a skull and cross bones, so I only had two colors going.

Now a little bit about myself. I have been married almost 15 yrs. I'm a stay at home mom of two sons who are 17 and 12. I also have 2 dogs that keep me busy. I have been crocheting for a little over two years and love it. After this blanket, I want to attempt my first wearable. There are so many techniques I look forward to learning. Hope to join you guys in a couple of days. Can't wait to see everyone's progress.

Thanks

A suggestion?

As you go on and have ends to weave in after doing a bunch of rows... weave them in. Don't wait till you finish the blanket. It can be overwhelming:P

I'd like to second this.

I finished my first graph ghan, a US Army ghan for my son....and it took me longer to weave in the ends than to make it..

Weave them in as you go, or every few rows.... You won't regret it :)

I am about to start my second graph ghan for my son, it's his 82nd Airborne patch, to go with his US Army afghan lol

I used small balls of yarn in small baggies and found that the easiest way.

I also used a laundry basket in front of me and "turned" the basket every row , this majorly stopped tangles.

Kath

Thanks for cheering us on Judy!! I think I can I think I can LOL I am doing it, I might actually pick a graph ghan when I finish this sweater not that I know I can do the graph part! I just needed to pay attention more and stress less, I think the mistake I made before was putting a time limit on myself! Not a good idea when learning a new technique.

Well, I was planning on getting in here as I finished my Jacket, but I have two friends that are bth expecting their first child at the same time... So I will be busy with making Nappy cakes minus the diapers for each of them. If this is still going on once I am finished with them, then I will jump back in. Have fun Ladies.

Chris you need more bobins if you are carrying color and it's showing through. I should show you mine and the number of bobbins I have. I had a bobbin for three stiches in two spots.

I am writing the letter I am doing down as I do it and I wrote the letter down and then didn't do it. I am trying to use post it notes to try to keep track of what row I am doing, the magnet board would be better. I have done three rows now and if it weren't for the clothe pins clipping the ends of the yarn to keep it close to my project i would really be crazy about all the tangles. The tangles are much shorter, but I dread turning it each time. Once past these letters I should be doing better. I am changing my colors in the last part of the single crochet before the color change so it looks like letters now so that's good. Thanks for the help guys and encouragment.

Next get to know you question. Tell me about your kids, or your pets

I know... I have started more bobbins now. Did you see my photos? Last post, page 5.

I use a highlighter marker to cross off each row on the pattern as I get done so I remember where I am. Don't understand the magnet board thing. Some of my bobbins have come unraveled a couple times so tangle city. Almost done with my ducks though., Just have their heads to do now. I'm glad your letters look like letters now.

I am still checking in with you guys. I hope to finish my current WIP and be able to join in about a week. I did start on Dora with the border and about 3 rows of her shoes. I think I had 7 bobbins going. I know I will have areas of the pattern with more and some areas with fewer. Maybe by the weekend I'll be ready to pick up where I left off.[/quote

Dora would be a fun one to do! :yes

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it is too late to join? I found some great graphs and now have to decide which one to start first. I'm going tomorrow to get the yarn. This would be my second graph ghan, the first was just a skull and cross bones, so I only had two colors going.

Now a little bit about myself. I have been married almost 15 yrs. I'm a stay at home mom of two sons who are 17 and 12. I also have 2 dogs that keep me busy. I have been crocheting for a little over two years and love it. After this blanket, I want to attempt my first wearable. There are so many techniques I look forward to learning. Hope to join you guys in a couple of days. Can't wait to see everyone's progress.

Thanks

Glad to have you!

I like that pattern!

I'm just lurking...finishing a graph ghan of my own design right now.

Anxious to see that Judy! What is it of?

I'd like to second this.

I finished my first graph ghan, a US Army ghan for my son....and it took me longer to weave in the ends than to make it..

Weave them in as you go, or every few rows.... You won't regret it :)

I am about to start my second graph ghan for my son, it's his 82nd Airborne patch, to go with his US Army afghan lol

I used small balls of yarn in small baggies and found that the easiest way.

I also used a laundry basket in front of me and "turned" the basket every row , this majorly stopped tangles.

Kath

Thanks for the advice... if (when) I do one with lots of colors I will remember that laundry basket idea

Tailspin youre more than welcome to join, glad to have you.

Newbie question, ha, you don't want mine, which is RUN THE OTHER WAY!:lol:D No truly if you want to join us we would love to have you. Go look at the clinic section here on crochetville under the sticky about graph ghans, you will get alot of help there. And I beleive we have some people here who have done a few so they will be able to help.

Good going everyone on working on your projects for those who are new, we can do this! I only got up from the table once last night and said I was quiting. Too many tangles. I patiently :lol:D Untangled the bobbins which all came loose one by one and started the next row. Turning the afghan is traumatic for me and the afghan. I have a box to put them all in if I decided to go that way like the laundry basket idea. But I am afraid to. I will have to do some embroidery on some of the letters, the s at least, but otherwise they look good. I picked some stitches up along the way some how and had to crochet some together to get the count right. We will see how this goes. I only have maybe four more rows on the letters. I guess when the letters are done I will weave the ends in.

Nice afghan Judy, glad to have you as a lurker, can I talk you inot doing one?

Something simple. PM me!!!

I've never made a regular afghan before. but i would love to do a graphghan, they look so nice and I know that a lot of people around here prefer them. any suggestions for a newbie?

Thought I would post a couple of pix of some of the graph ghans I have done. I don't have pix of every one, I gave a couple away before I took a picture. Don't know if it will, but, hopefully it can encourage a few of us.

Sorry if some of the pix are large.

SteelerAfghan.jpg

028.jpg

Crochetwork.7005.jpg

Crochetwork-5.jpg

Crochetwork-8.jpg

morecrochetstuff001-1.jpg

morecrochetstuff001.jpg

Thank you!!

I bought all the patterns. I have not the first clue on how to make my own graph so I depend on the talent of others for patterns!!!!!!LOL

Diane, they're gorgeous! Did you buy some of the patterns?

Hi everyone,

I got my yarn and my pattern and I'm ready to jump in. I'm doing the harley logo with flames. It will be a gift for my cousin. She loves her motorcycle. I will be starting tonite. :clap

Judy I looked at your animal graph ghan. Loved it. I too have a german shepherd. He is 7 months old and my big baby. If I had the room I would have a couple more. If you don't mind, where did you get your graph? I would love to make one.

I can't wait to start seeing everyone's progress. Good luck to everyone.

Happy crocheting

Diane, I love your afghans! They are beautiful. Do you know a good site to look for patterns for graph ghans? Now my daughter wants a tweety.

Lisa I would love to see a photo of what you are going to be doing, that sounds really neat!

Lisa, that looks like it is going to be awesome!! My wearable is for a little girl, so it is small. I am hoping to have the ducks done today. For sure by the end of tomorrow!! Depends on how determined I am to weave in ends LOL

Morning Judy!

Tailspin that looks wonderful. It will make a wonderful afghan. Is Pixy ( I can't remember what she said her name was) going to join us? If you do a simple graph with few color changes that should work. I would stay away from a lot of letters, but pictures that are simple could work. Just saying this from limited experience here. Once you get going it's enjoyable seeing the picture come out. I haven't done any more work because I slept most of the day yesterday, only awake to do important stuff, like get sleeping pills so I could sleep at night instead of during the day, My schedule is so messed up. I will work on it more today if I get a chance. Dianne those are pretty and very encouragoing to me. Thank you.

Good morning everyone. Well I stayed up late and still working on the solid black. I'm adding 25 rows before and after the graph to make it larger. I hope to start my color change by tonight. Thanks for all the responses to my graph. The only part that concerns me is the wording. I want my letters to look clean and neat. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I always have trouble with the letters. :think

Archived