graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

I JUST FINISHED MY FIRST GRAPH-GHAN. IT WAS OF A ZEBRA....ANY IDEAS ON A PATTERN? HAS ANYONE DONE ONE FROM A PHOTO? i WOULD LOVE TO MAKE ONE FROM A PHOTO--ANY IDEAS HOW TO BEGIN TO MAKE A CHART FROM A PHOTO? THANKS:hook

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great afghans guys they all look great. Glad you got yours done judy, it looks great. I have lost my mojo on this afghan. I think I will start another. I am so not into it. I need encouragement I guess. Both projects I am doing I am not crocheting on. I haven't touched a hook in almost a week. I guess I need to go visit some one who crochets, and have a little crochet party.Hint hint. Christy? Thank you for not seeing the jagged edges. Thank your hubby too. Good to see so many new faces! Any one who wants to join in can, you are welcome to our group.

Great afghans guys they all look great. Glad you got yours done judy, it looks great. I have lost my mojo on this afghan. I think I will start another. I am so not into it. I need encouragement I guess. Both projects I am doing I am not crocheting on. I haven't touched a hook in almost a week. I guess I need to go visit some one who crochets, and have a little crochet party.Hint hint. Christy? Thank you for not seeing the jagged edges. Thank your hubby too. Good to see so many new faces! Any one who wants to join in can, you are welcome to our group.

Snapdragon928,

Hi, I would love to join in I have been lurking in the shadows and looking at everones work and they are great. I have never done this before and was wondering if someone could give me some hints on what I need to do first to learn how to graph ghan. I'm kinda lost but love the work.So if anyone can give me some hints for beginners it would be great. Thank you.

Judy, I sent you an email.

Judyanne,

I checked out your blog and seen you pet memory ghan it is wonderful. Must have took forever. Well worth it when it was all done. Your work is beautiful. I know I will be full of questions lol

Southern Judy in the clinic section under I think pattern help is a sticky on graph afghans, it is full of hints. Look around the clinic section, it's in there some where. Bobbins are good helpers, mine are made with clothes pins. Saved my sanity when doing letters. Don't overload them though. Judiane doesn't use bobbins she lets her yarn mingle I beleive. But she is a big help with hints. Now we have two Judy's!

I have been so AWOL on this CAL. I have not forgotten it though. Have not gotten a lot done on mine lately and need to go back through and look at pix. Should make some time to encourage all of you here really soon!!!!

I am awaiting some yarn from a wonderful lady here on the Ville as I couldn't find RH SS in light gray in any of my local stores. Then I can work on my dad's graphghan again. I just hit the bottom of his car and can't go any further.

For those of you wanting to start one, try the Microrevolt Knitpro site (link is at beginning of this thread or do a search for it) It is free and does a great job graphing your picture. Then figure out the dimensions you want it to be (I did a 6" border of background color before I started the first row of the graph) and start going. It totally makes sense once you start doing it and see how you are going to need multiple balls of the same colors (I did not do bobbins or clothespins, just skeins and small balls so it does get a bit tangled). I am a very visual person and *thinking* about how to do it wasn't quite making sense, but I just picked up my hook and yarn and started going and just took one color change at a time and as soon as I did that first row it all clicked. Just make sure you count correctly and change colors at the end of the last stitch of the previous color. Good luck!

Southern Judy in the clinic section under I think pattern help is a sticky on graph afghans, it is full of hints. Look around the clinic section, it's in there some where. Bobbins are good helpers, mine are made with clothes pins. Saved my sanity when doing letters. Don't overload them though. Judiane doesn't use bobbins she lets her yarn mingle I beleive. But she is a big help with hints. Now we have two Judy's!

Thanks so much i will check out the clinic:) And your right Judianne has been a wonderful help.

Yup, I have let my bobbins mingle and it's quite a sight to behold! I lost my directions!! I have to find the envelope to see if I have the small directions I can blow up. Or search this living room again! Hubby went through and cleaned and it disapeared. I was going to do a few rows and that stopped me.

I have just graphed the Chargers logo using throwback colors. I used Knitpro on microrevolt.org to graph it. I hope I don't mess up my counts, but I'm not on a deadline this time.

As per my experience with my first graph ghan, I made my own bobbins so sometimes they come loose and the yarns mingle. Before I start working on my project, I take the time to wind them up so that they're not hanging loose and it helps. It also helps to have a simple project. I had more than 10 bobbins going on at the same time and it was driving me crazy.

Hi everyone, I have been awol for a while. The weather has been so nice and we have been going to the local amusement park. But, now I'm back into my graph. I have it almost half done. Hey Judianne, are you working on the wedding ghan now? Glad to see some new people joined. The more the merrier. Hope to see some pics soon of everyones progress.

Happy crocheting :crocheting

can't wait to see everyone's pix. I have been working on baby blankets instead of my graph ghan. Just got an invite to the bridal shower and it is May 16th. Would like to have it done by then and give it to her at the shower. We shall see though.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone elses pix of theirs.

:waving Hi all! I have NO IDEA when I will start a graph ghan. Maybe not till fall.

Yup - I'm at about row 105 of 164 (give or take) of the wedding ghan, then I'll make a deep border for it.

It's been too warm to work on it for the past couple of days. Didn't want it sitting on my lap...I'll work on something else tonight.

That is wonderful progress Judy!!

Yup, I have let my bobbins mingle and it's quite a sight to behold! I lost my directions!! I have to find the envelope to see if I have the small directions I can blow up. Or search this living room again! Hubby went through and cleaned and it disapeared. I was going to do a few rows and that stopped me.

Yikes!! Tangled/mingled bobbins. :eek And lost instructions..... not good my dear. Good luck finding them!

Well I found three quarters of my pattern, might have to draw the rest out on graph paper. It was in four sheets, obviously and one page is missing. The part I am working on now in fact. I have like four more rows before I need to find it. But at least I can do four more rows! Will work on it later. Had to scrub the boys carpet again, winding down from that. Off to watch Heroes on the computer, I missed last weeks, and then Benjiman Button. Daughter brought it home for me.

Found the pattern! Now I am on the helmet part. The fourth page that was lost, I am working from that now, So I have gotten further. Everything is tangled together, got it untangled this morning and now it's back to happy tangled mess. Lets see some pictures! I will try to take a picture. And actually get it on here. So I am over 1/4 done, working on one third done. How is everyone doing?

Hey snapdragon, glad you found your pattern. I have been out of the crochet mood lately. :eek I'm trying to get back on track. I'm going to try and get a few rows done tomorrow. I think I need to set a certain amount of rows to get done everday. Maybe, that will get me more motivated. I'll take a pic next week. I do not have much progress to show right now. Hope to see a pic of yours soon. Well, off to try and get a few rows done tonight. Happy crocheting to all.

I just started my second graphghan. It's for my friend who's wife is having a boy in the summer. I downloaded a free pattern of a blue teddy bear. I'm doing it on a mint green background. I'll post a picture when I get past the border and start on the bear.

Stacey

It is going to be awhile before I can start mine. I have been asked to supply 50 thread fans for a friends wedding. I also need to make 2 wedding and 2 baby shower gifts. Looks like my graph ghan will be waiting till cooler fall weather. Anyone else have a problem finding time to make something for yourself?

All the time find it hard to make something for myself. I just made myself a sweater vest, just in time for warm weather, so I have only worn it on saint patricks day. It's green, made it especially for saint patricks day.

I think it's a good idea to set a number of rows a day, if anyone else wants to do this, it really helps you to get motivated. We had a row a day cal that I made several things for, wish it was still here. I don't know what my set rows should be, what's a good number? I will see how many rows I can do while watching the telly tonight. That's usually when is a good time, however I did many rows with out the TV last night, seeing as nothing was good on. Watched House on the computer. Was going to watch Dresden files too, but it was getting late. ANy one watch Cupid? I only watch it sometimes, it was on last night. But tonight is wedensday and that means Lost, which is hard to crochet by, especially a graph ghan. Might have to do another afghan during that time.

I started a new afghan, now I have three going. This one is a ripple in white coconut simply soft, on sale. I know I shouldn't have but I have a wedding to go to in july that I am making this for. I will try to squeeze the graph ghan in there some where. I did make some progress, but I am stuck with a tangle. Might have to cut an restart some spots. It is getting to be exiting watching it grow.

Come on people, where are you at? I hope busy crocheting on the graph afghans or other crochet work. Have fun! Happy mothers day!

Hi Ladies

I've never attempted following a graph but I'm giving it a go :)

Its a picture of Max from the kids show Max and Ruby. I've done about 5 rows so far and I'm getting in such a muddle and all my yarn is tangled :think

I dont own any bobbins, so what could I use instead? Other than that its going ok. I'm only doing a couple of rows every evening as I like to watch TV while I crochet and I cant concentrate cos of the counting!

Whats everyone else making right now?

Tilly, try to use clothes pins, they work real well. You can clip the yarn with them and hold it close to your work. I am using clothes pins and just using skeins of yarn for other parts, which I shouldn't. I have lots of tangles, I have to unravel the tangles before I go on anymore. It's ok though, I got alot done before it got to tangled. It's the skiens of yarn, not the bobbins, that are the culprit, so try the clothespins for bobbins. Good luck! I am making a football afghan.

Archived