graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also use small plastic baggies. I have a cake roller and will roll as many different rolls of the color that I need. I will from time to time cut and start over again if it gets to tangled. Although, I will from time to time take time to follow the strand and untangle each strand as I am using it. I also keep mine in a big tote.

Hi Ladies

I've never attempted following a graph but I'm giving it a go :)

Its a picture of Max from the kids show Max and Ruby. I've done about 5 rows so far and I'm getting in such a muddle and all my yarn is tangled :think

I dont own any bobbins, so what could I use instead? Other than that its going ok. I'm only doing a couple of rows every evening as I like to watch TV while I crochet and I cant concentrate cos of the counting!

Whats everyone else making right now?

Well I am back again, I have two graph afghan started. One is a mama and baby giraffe and the other is a hockey one. I am a glutton for punishment.

Im scared, but DH told me that I can do anything if its made out of yarn so Im gonna give it a go. I bought me a ton of yarn, printed me a Calgary Flames graph and Im going to read all the tips again. =)

Well, I finished my swap now it's time to work on my blanket. I have 24 bobbins going right now :eek. I am using baggies, but I may try the clothes pins. I have trouble with the baggies sliding and getting really tangled. I really need to get back into this blanket. It's hard to work on when I'm not sure if I like it or not.

How's everyone else coming along? JoAnn, I'm not sure I could do 2 at a time. More power to you. I think I might try my next graph in the tunsian stitch. I know the basic stitch, just have to learn the color change.

Judy, it looks like you are almost done. I'm working with Ceasar on his fear of the camera and the car. I may have a picture soon.

Hope to see everyone's work soon. Happy crocheting.

i need to ask a question

do you work in one color over the other?? or how do you use a tecnique for the yarn so the ones not used won`t be shown???

i jope you got it

hi everyone. I've been really busy here....working on my graphghan (finished the tires, woo hoo, and now on the body and the running horses down the side of the car), a baby blanket for my husband's cousin who just had her first baby, and the doily for my mom's friend (she just told me that she wants it at least twice as long as we originally talked about, yikes!! I don't think I have enough thread or time for that.) We are also getting ready to start camping on days hubby has off so we are pretty busy. I did take pics of the graphghan today so maybe if I get time I can post my progress. Great job everyone!

I am getting so close. I have a few rows of solid colors to go and then to the border!!! The wedding shower is today and I will not be going, so. I guess they will have to wait till the wedding to get it. I need to find the invitation!!!!LOL

Hi Ladies. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of what the back of one of these looks like. I'm having a hard time seeing it in my head how it should look and how you hide all the ends. Do you cut and tie a lot or just drop one color and go on. I'm about to give this a try and trying to learn all I can first. :) Thanks for any help that you can give a first timer.

I'll take a pc of my current one for you later. Ends are all tucked in and I'm working on the border now.

I'll also explain the way I did it.

Thank you so much. I just figured it would look so messy so thought i better ask before I started in lol i have a grandson going to graduate this next summer. If I start now I may get it finished. Thanks so much for all your help Judy.

Judy, here's a "tease" of my current project, front and back. My first graph was no where as neat as this one on the back. With the letters being red I was forced to use probably 15 bobbins for them so it wouldn't show through. Carrying all threads for no more than 2 to 4 stitiches at a time helped too. AND...I wove in ends as I had a bunch of them.

Closer shot of back

see next post for more...

Oh Wow!! That looks really good. I hope I can do as well but i know it will take lots of practice. But I can see it will be worth all the hard work.

Here's another....can't figure out how to get all pics done at once yet....

front and back

Your work is beautiful. I have never tried to do one of these but the more i see i'm getting more excited about trying it. Thank you for showing me yours. :)

I will try to get a pic of the back of mine today so I can show you the back of mine with ends that need to be tucked. I also drop and not carry the yarn unless there is just a stitch or two to go over.

I have a couple more graph ghans to get done in the next few months after I am done with this one. So. I will also be around if you need help.

Hi Ladies. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of what the back of one of these looks like. I'm having a hard time seeing it in my head how it should look and how you hide all the ends. Do you cut and tie a lot or just drop one color and go on. I'm about to give this a try and trying to learn all I can first. :) Thanks for any help that you can give a first timer.

Judy. It is beautiful!!!

Here's another....can't figure out how to get all pics done at once yet....

front and back

Hay. I did it!!!!!!!LOL

Oh WOW!! that is so neat!!! and you do such nice work. Your back is so neat. I'm getting brave, i'm about to tackle one of these. I have six grandson there in Iowa and they could all use a special ghan made just for them. May I ask where you got your graph for the iowa State. I'm looking for a Iowa too. These look like a lot of work but so rewarding when all done. Congrats on your completed afghan it's beautiful!!!!!!!!

Wow I'm so inspired to keep going with "Max" after seeing your afghans!

I frogged it the first time after about 15 rows, it was just a mess and I was in such a tangle. I'm using clothes pegs as bobbins and I'm still getting tangled up but not as badly and I just sort it all out every few rows. I'm really enjoying my second attempt and its much neater than the first. Not perfect but ok. Will post a pic when I'm halfway, I've done approx a quarter so far. I think I'll probably get addicted to these now. At least I can then give the Round Ripples a rest lol

Judy, that is beautiful. I love the colors. Very nice! :cheer This is number 2 for you, is there a number 3 in the future? You are on a roll. Diane, awesome blanket. What a lot of color changes.

I haven't been working on mine. I'm finishing up a project for a swap. It is a graph pot holder though. I'll show it after my partner receives it. Hopefully, tomorrow night I'll be able to pull it out and do a few rows. Hope to see the progress of all the new joiners.

Happy crocheting :crocheting

It's 44 inches square - good lapghan size...and the dark color is green.

Judy, I have a question for you :) When you get a graph, how can you tell how big it will be? I feel kinda funny asking silly questions but I sure would hate to think I was making a afghan and it turned out pillow size lolol .

Thank you. It's not quite finished yet. I still have a few rows of solid colors to finish and then the border. Have not decided on how I am going to do that yet.

Oh WOW!! that is so neat!!! and you do such nice work. Your back is so neat. I'm getting brave, i'm about to tackle one of these. I have six grandson there in Iowa and they could all use a special ghan made just for them. May I ask where you got your graph for the iowa State. I'm looking for a Iowa too. These look like a lot of work but so rewarding when all done. Congrats on your completed afghan it's beautiful!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Want to see a pic of your pot holder!!!

Judy, that is beautiful. I love the colors. Very nice! :cheer This is number 2 for you, is there a number 3 in the future? You are on a roll. Diane, awesome blanket. What a lot of color changes.

I haven't been working on mine. I'm finishing up a project for a swap. It is a graph pot holder though. I'll show it after my partner receives it. Hopefully, tomorrow night I'll be able to pull it out and do a few rows. Hope to see the progress of all the new joiners.

Happy crocheting :crocheting

Thanks...It's really number 6, as far as big graphs are concerned. Back on my blog I have one I designed and made for my DS's chiropractic office. Another two aren't in digital format, so couldn't post them.

My next one is going to be a silhouette of Sherlock Holmes. I already have it graphed out...but catching up on charity things laying around here first.

Well, by looking at thie starting chain you can get the width (this is before putting on the big border on the patterns I buy) and if you look at the design you can see if it looks like it's going to be more of a square than a rectangle. On a bear ghan I made several years ago (not the one onmy blog) the design called for a border of (I think) 7 inch squares all around it. It came out nice and big.

So...it boils down to saying: I really guess at the size and will make a deep boder to compensate for a small pattern. I have made a graph our of DC's (brown with cancer ribbons - on my blog) It came out BIG!

Thanks!

Thank you Judy, kinda like quilting just add more borders lol thanks for all your help.

Archived