graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

Lurk all you want!!! We love having you around and your input will be greatly appreciated. At least from this crochetier!!!!!

Hi guys! I'm lurking here. There's not a whole lot that I can add to this cal. As much as I just love graphghans - my hands just can't hold out doing all those sc's.

I do have to say that all of the pics I've seen so far are just amazing!

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Well I'm getting some work done on my ghan finally. My dh is only home on the weekends, so it's kind of hard trying to work on it then. When I get going on a blanket, I don't like to stop. But, I guess dh deserves some time too ;).

Christi, I hope you feel better. It's miserable when you can't breath. I went back to mckcreations and got a couple more graphs. It really is hard to chose. I think I have all the ones I wanted now. I'll keep looking for newer ones.

Dilyca what are you working on? Well, hope everyone gets to do a few rows today. Judy, can't wait to see your ghan finished. I got the GSD graph, thanks for the info.

Happy crocheting all!

I got like seven or eight letters weaved in now. Little by little, getting it done. Had to do some squares today too. But I managed a little weaving time. I am determined to weave before crocheting any more as hard as it is to resist.

Allright ladies, I have a question. Is this how the color change is suppose to look? The edges look a little sloppy and I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

http://th_041.jpg

My edges are never "stright". Remember to pick up the color change at the last move of the previous stitch. Say if you are doing a DS. You would do each move of the DS to the very last and on that move pick up the next color and drop the first color. I don't know if this make sense or not. If you look at the pix of the ones that I have done mine are not all smooth on the color change. I don't know any way to make them that way unless you cross stitch them on.

Allright ladies, I have a question. Is this how the color change is suppose to look? The edges look a little sloppy and I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

http://th_041.jpg

Thanks guys! I am waiting until the last move of the final stitch before picking up the new color. I think it is the way I hide my old color.

Judy, when you say hide it on the ws, do I do leave the unused color on the ws when I'm crocheting on that side also? Hope that made sense. It seems to be worse when I add more color stitches on the next row. That's why it looks like every other row. Example: if row 11 had 14 orange stitches then on row 12 it has 18 stitches.

I know it shold look neater than that. Maybe I'll look on you tube, but they show you how to change color not where my last color should be positioned. Any more suggestions will be greatly apppreciated. I don't want to frog too many rows. If I can figure it out, then I can do like dilyca and fill in the gaps :D.

Thanks

Thank you for all your help Judy. I just frogged my blanket down to the start of the flames. I'll try your tips and see if I get it to look nicer. I can't wait to get it going again. :cheer

I have too many things going now to join but when I did my graphghan of a collie dog's head i found it simpler so it didn't get tangled to set in on my bag and turn the whole thing around or i sat it between two chairs and changed back and forth between chairs to stop it from tangling.

I am embroidering over the gaps. The color changes are looking like mine, I am cahnging at the last part of the stitch, but there are jags. And I haven't been hiding my yarn behind the other stitches because it's too much of a contrast. I am sorry you had to frog.

Judy nice work.

I did only one letter I think, I had to work.

Judy, took your tips and it looks sooo much better. I have a jag here and there, but it is alot more uniform. Thank you for the help. By the way, I forgot to tell you your blankets look great. They came out really nice.

How is everyone coming along with their ghans? Snapdragon, will we be seeing pics soon?

I have three of these that I need to do. I have already done an Army graphghan for a friend's son, now his wife is having a baby and I'm trying to decide what that graphghan will be. I also need to do another Army graphghan for a second son and a Harley Davidson one for my sis. I don't know when I"ll get started, but I'll subscribe to this thread and keep up as best I can.

Joyce

I am done with the front panel of my sweater to the point where I have to form the neck. Still sick but not running a fever so I get to work anyway, plus I have running to do after work, a full day. But tomorrow I will try to pic up cause my swans ( I was calling them ducks) are finished. Then the only other pic I will do is when it is done with a grandchild in it! :) Have fun

Thanks for showing these pix.. Really pretty!!!! I like the 12" square!

th_HPIM0744.jpgCroJulee's 12" pattern for a swap

th_HPIM0745.jpgbaby ghan (Proj. Linus Newbie pattern)

th_HPIM0749.jpglapghan (includes squares I made for Scripture ghan, but decided not to make them all) This looks better in person...just not a fan of subtle greens

K. I am posting a couple of pix. The first is the front of my Cyclone blanket. I will show the whole thing later. I just wanted to show they color changes.

The second is the back of the blanket. I am trying real hard with this one to tuck ends as I go because I have ended up with 300+ ends to tuck on afghans before!LOL:lol

100_0842.jpg

100_0844.jpg

Diane, your blanket looks great. I'm also going to try and weave in the ends as I go. Great job!

Christi, hope your feeling back to normal soon. Good luck finishing your sweater.

Today it is suppose to get in the 50's and be sunny. Not sure how much I'll get done on my blanket. I may have to get out and enjoy this wonderful weather. Plus, I have two dogs that need a walk badly. Have a great day everyone.

I would like to start a "graphghan" for my niece but don't know how to go about it. I've already started a border and I would like to make my own design using a graph. I know I'm stepping in late here but I was thrilled to see a thread about this. Any tips?

I want to do a sc not tunisian.

Judy, judging from your avatar, you are the woman to ask! That afghan is gorgeous. I have not ever done a graph, but I made an afghan that I had to constantly change colors so I think I'll be alright there. My brother is a herpetologist(snakes) and he just had a baby girl. I would like to make a graph afghan of a snake. It's sort of strange but I think once I figure it out it will be cute. I'm looking for a cartoon snake to turn into a graph but I'm just not sure how to do it. I have seen cross stitch on top of sc and tunisian graphs but I wouldn't know how to keep the back nice and clean.

Nice work Dianne! And you too judy. Lindseyfaye, look at the clinic area on crochetville here, there is a sticky on graph afghans. Glad to have you! I finished one side of the afghan weaving ends, and got a good start on the back. Boy I need to look at your hints again Judy, I sure got some jagged letters and white spots that shouldn't be there, I don't think that I am changing colors wrong, I will look at it again.I am not frogging, I will just have to embroider in the spots I need to. Some letters look good, it's quite a few that look wonky. Judy have you ever done one with half double crochet? I might try that next time.

Looks like there is not much going on here today. Well, I re-did what I frogged and it looks alot better. I still have a few strays, but my design is curved. I hear that will happen. But, thanks to Judy I figured out what I was doing wrong. I realized that I was starting the new color stitch wrong. I may have some pics tomorrow of my progress. If I can get my puppy to stay off the blanket. :D

How is everyone else coming along?

Archived