Would this be tacky?

I have 7 baby blankets to make and I really do not know a few of the Teachers but I cannot make for just the ones I know, because they have a big baby shower at school for all of them together. So my dilema is: I do not want to make them something they will not use or the colors they do not like. So would it be tacky to send them a free pattern web site and ask them to pick out a blanket and the colors they want? I do not want to do the same blanket 7 times :eek and have a hard time making choices for other people:think Just because I like it, they might not like it at all.

One possibility would be to make them a gift card explaining that you are going to make them a baby blanket and you would like them to pick out their own special color and return a RSVP type response that you have included with the card. ;)

If I didn't know you I probably wouldn't pick out something and have you make it fore me because I would feel that it's an obligation to you and it's a have to thing that I otherwise wouldn't get. If I wanted to make them one I find out if their having a boy or girl then make the colors you want.

That's a tough question!! From my own experience, I try to find out the sex of the baby. My fitness instructor and his wife are having a girl in March. I only know them through class, but a very nice couple. I made them a pink afghan. The instructors nickname is "Dino", so I have been trying to find a crochet dinosaur(toy) pattern to make them a "pink Dino"!!:lol

Just because the shower is all together doesn't mean you need to give gifts to teachers you don't know or who don't know you. If your child isn't in their classes, I wouldn't give them gifts. They'll be wondering who you are! I don't think they all expect to receive the same number of gifts, or to get gifts from the other teacher's friends and/or students. I'd rethink that, if I were you.

If you're determined to give to all of them, I'd just pick something extra simple like a V-stitch blanket and make different colors. You could even put them in one box with all their names on it and let them pick which one they want.

I would stick to white or cream.

Another option (wish I could remember where I saw it) was a granny square baby blanket done in black -white-red combination -colors said to be attractive and stimulating for babies.

i think your idea is fine. we live in a society of gift cards. i personally would love to pick the colors and patterns out myself, versus to receive a blanket that isn't my taste and would stick in the baby's closet to never see the light of day again.

when my son was born, my husband's great aunt made my son the most beautiful baby quilt. i just adore it, however...it's all in baby blue and pink colors. when my son is 8 years old, he's not going to like it. i would have liked to have picked the quilt out so that i can make sure my son would enjoy it forever. i don't want to sound materialistic here but i'm just being realistic. i would prefer to have the gift be enjoyed for years versus just when the baby is an infant and then he outgrows it. i hope that makes sense.

bottom line: i like your idea.

oh and just because the shower is for so many people...you do not have to get all of them gifts. not at all. just give gifts to people you know and you want to give gifts too. noone will think less of you.

Just because the shower is all together doesn't mean you need to give gifts to teachers you don't know or who don't know you.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't feel obligated to give to everyone just because the showers were combined. For the ones I did know, I might let them pick the color(s). The pattern has to be something I'd enjoy doing so I'd want to pick that.

WOuld you think of making booties for the ones you dont know? Just an idea, something of less work, but with meaning. Or a little baby toy you could crochet up? And the ones you KNOW make the blankets for. Lion Brand has a couple great baby toys easy to crochet...just an idea, do what is in your heart hunny

Hugs and Hooks

JoAnn

WOuld you think of making booties for the ones you dont know? Just an idea, something of less work, but with meaning. Or a little baby toy you could crochet up? And the ones you KNOW make the blankets for. Lion Brand has a couple great baby toys easy to crochet...just an idea, do what is in your heart hunny

Hugs and Hooks

JoAnn

Think the bootie idea is nice one. That is what I did for my neighbor that I didnt know that had a baby just alittle something to know welcome little one.

You know, i was watching a friend's baby girl a few months ago while they were trying to get their home ready to move in...she didn't have any burp cloths so i went to walmart, and they didn't have any either. So i bought some lightweight fleece in baby prints to crochet an edge around for burp cloths. Never got around to doing it, but that would make a really nice gift, especially if you feel you should give to teh ones you don't know.

Personally, I wouldn't feel obligated to make them all a baby blanket. I would just make blankets for the teachers I know, or the teachers who actually taught my child. If you still feel obligated to make all of them something, for the ones I don't know I would make them something small, such as washcloths or booties in unisex colors.

I think that white or ecru are appropriate colors for babies when unsure of what color to use. Make blankies for the folks you know and just add a trim or applique in the colors you are aware that they like. (Teddies, chicks, ducks and other baby animals are always welcome as are baby blocks, baby items etc... to use for trim and applique ideas, and are gender neutral). For those you do not know, as the other girls stated go with small things, like fleece trimmed blankies, bottle holders, baby cap/mitts/booties. When committing to a toy keep in mind to make it baby safe...

Thank You for all your suggestions, they where all very helpfull :manyheart I just didnt want to be tacky thats why I asked. I work at the school and I do not want any hurt feelings because even though I do not really know them I see them every day. 7 is the largest amount of Pregnant women in our school at one time and all due in the same month (June) :eek I am just going to find out what they are having and try to pick something I think they will like. I can tell you, they will be 7 different easy patterns. I get bored fast and will probably have all 7 started at once:hook

Cindy

Thank You for all your suggestions, they where all very helpfull :manyheart I just didnt want to be tacky thats why I asked. I work at the school and I do not want any hurt feelings because even though I do not really know them I see them every day. 7 is the largest amount of Pregnant women in our school at one time and all due in the same month (June) :eek I am just going to find out what they are having and try to pick something I think they will like. I can tell you, they will be 7 different easy patterns. I get bored fast and will probably have all 7 started at once:hook

Cindy

:lolGee must have been something in the coffee at the teachers lounge :lol

I would ask each one what color their nursery is going to be, or if they have a theme in mind, and I'd take it from there. That way at least you will have something to go on, and knowing what colors they want or need will make it easier to choose patterns to work from.

I'm another one who feels giving blankets to all the teachers is not necessary. Besides, I was thinking that unless you already have a lot of baby yarn in your stash 7 blankets would be a lot of money, then there's all the time you'll need! So if you really want to give everyone something I vote too that you make other smaller gifts for those you don't know well. Here's an example that won't take much time and should be fun to make: rainbow mobile.

Bibs and baby hats would also be great, since they're easy and fast you could make sets of two or three, (i.e., variegated and solids). Crochet Pattern Central has lots of patterns for both and much more.

So i bought some lightweight fleece in baby prints to crochet an edge around for burp cloths.

This sounds good in theory, but fleece isn't very absorbent....therefore any spit-up would probably roll down it....

I always used cloth diapers for burp cloths. Granted, they weren't beautiful, but they were sturdy and absorbent. I didn't crochet much back then, but I can imagine some cute embellishments now.

Fleece blankets are always welcome, though. A cute print with a crochet edging is a good idea. It would be much easier to make 7 cute fleece blankets with an edging than it would be to make 7 whole blankets. You could always make a toy or something else to go with each one.

I have to say that I would feel funny picking out something to have someone that I didn't know make something for me.

I would just go with a neutral color. Besides even if you just pick a gender based color I'm sure it will be fine. They can always use variety.

Just because the shower is all together doesn't mean you need to give gifts to teachers you don't know or who don't know you. If your child isn't in their classes, I wouldn't give them gifts. They'll be wondering who you are! I don't think they all expect to receive the same number of gifts, or to get gifts from the other teacher's friends and/or students. I'd rethink that, if I were you.

If you're determined to give to all of them, I'd just pick something extra simple like a V-stitch blanket and make different colors. You could even put them in one box with all their names on it and let them pick which one they want.

I agree with you.

Archived