Do you add lining to your purses by hand or use a sewing machine?

I sew the lining all together and then pin it into the crochet piece and use my sewing machine to sew the fabric piece to the crochet piece. I have never had any problems doing this. I just use a normal straight stitch on the machine.

I sew the lining all together and then pin it into the crochet piece and use my sewing machine to sew the fabric piece to the crochet piece. I have never had any problems doing this. I just use a normal straight stitch on the machine.

thats what i do too. i also drop the feed dogs and move the lining by hand.

I lined my Exchange Bags from the SNB Happy Hooker book. With those, I lined it all by machine. :shrug I had no problems with that. I also lined a couple haekelbeutel bags and wish that I would have stitched those in by hand but I made it work.

I've never had to line a bag. I do all my bags tightly in single crochet so I don't have to. Larger ones are done with double strands in single crochet.

I do mine by machine, and insert it into the bag and hand sew it with the blind stitch to the crochet bag....I TRIED machine sewing ONCE and it RUINED my purse, I was so mad!!!! BUT, I am by NO means a good sewer...not by ANY vast streatch of the imagination...lol

Um, what is "blind stitch"? :think

I have only made one bag, which was for my 18 month old niece and I got away without lining it :lol

I'd love to learn more though, I've developed an interest in bags all of a sudden!

I am the world's worst hand-sewer, so I line mine by machine. I only line them because crochet hooks can work their way through very tight stitches when you are carrying around projects, and I always seem to have at least one with me....

I personally don't do either. I attempted to hand sew a lining, my mom saw my not-too-handi-work, and offered to machine sew the lining for me. Now she does sews all the linings I make. Someday I'll get a sewing machine, but until then, I'll keep passing the bags on to my mom!

For me it depends on if I am pressed for time or not.

I made a FBB for myself that HAD to be done by dec 20th for my husbands company christmas party. Time was very very short and I used my machine to sew in the liner.

If I'm not pressed for time I actually prefer to hand stitch it in because I can get the stitches smaller and less noticeable that way.

How to blind stitch

When sewing with a machine do you have the lining or the the crocheted fabric face up? I haven't lined any crochet yet but when I do I plan on making a gauge swatch and using that to test out lining with the machine. Usually when I sew anything I use two scraps to figure out tension and stitch length before starting to sew on the actual piece. It saves a lot of time ripping seams when your first few tries don't go right.

I am the world's worst seamstress, so my big secret is that I use Liquid Stitch to line my purses. :lol I can sew simple fabric patterns (like, I made a poodle skirt for my daughter's church dance one year) but I cannot sew small enough to make it camouflage with the yarn, so I just use the Liquid Stitch and it doesn't really look too bad. :D

I put liners in bags the same way that most of you do. I cut the material the shape of the bag with a little overage for a seam & extra at the top to turn down (about an inch), then face the pieces right sides together & sew around 3 edges on a sewing machine, leaving the top open. Then I put the lining inside the handbag, fold the top edge down so it doesn't show. The right side of the fabric is what shows when it's sewn together with right sides facing each other. I then sew the top layer in by hand using very small stitches close together, until I have sewn all the way around. I guess this is a blind stitch but I just call it "tacking". Grab a little crochet, grab a little material with the needle & thread until it's all sewn in.

It's a little more to it if the bag is larger & needs a gusset. Then you have to cut 2 pieces out plus a gusset (a long strip around 3 or 4 inches wide that is sewn to the front & back piece before you put the lining in the bag. I still like my bags to be lined even if it's a little extra time & effort. It just looks nicer to me plus I NEED pockets LOL! I lose things in the bottom if I don't put pockets inside my bags. They don't have to look perfect because I'm not a great seamstress but are vital for ME. I sew the pockets on the right side of the lining before I sew the two pieces together so it's not much extra work. They usually just consist of a rectangle of material sewn on one side panel & I sew vertical lines to divide the rectangle into a couple of pen pockets & a keys pocket-- before I sew the two faces together

Archived