Poll: What do you want to learn in 2009

What do YOU want to learn this year?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU want to learn this year?

• Thread Crochet
    • New stitches
    • Wearables
    • Graphing
    • Other, please tell what.

I was thinking of "extending my knowledge base" AKA learning something NEW in crochet...lol... and was wondering how many others have a goal to learn and what it is?

Mine is Graphing-my best friend loves Elvis and I want to make her a graph-ghan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Filet crochet! It doesn't help that I want to jump right into doing a name doily as a Christmas present for next year :lol

You can do it. :cheer It is a lot easier than you think.

I want to do tow things. 1) Get some more miniature crochet things made this year and 2) learn how to knit. I can do basic knit and pearl but that is about it so far. Still working on the tension. I tend to crochet and knit very tightly. Right now I am working on a stockingnet stitched baby blanket which will have a crocheted border. So far so good.

I voted for wearables, because I would love to make myself a sweater - I have such a hard time finding sweaters that I like and that fit me well! But I would also like to learn new stitches (like those front and back post stitches that make such gorgeous textures) and graphing. I conquered thread crochet last year and am very proud of myself over that! :D

How to write down my own pattern creations so that others can read and understand them. I make some notes, and can do graphs, but putting it all into words for others is what stumps me...

You can do it. :cheer It is a lot easier than you think.

I want to do tow things. 1) Get some more miniature crochet things made this year and 2) learn how to knit. I can do basic knit and pearl but that is about it so far. Still working on the tension. I tend to crochet and knit very tightly. Right now I am working on a stockingnet stitched baby blanket which will have a crocheted border. So far so good.

I think I'll be ok with filet. I got to test a doily for Kathkan and I'm pretty sure part of it is filet. That was easy. It's going to be designing the name doilies that I'll have an issue with :lol

There is so much I would like to learn how to do. Stuff that after three...wait...four years you would *think* I would know how to do. I would like to start doing thread crochet, my dream is making a table runner for my mom. I would like to figure out how to do things like oh I dunno...HATS! Things that go in a circle...

and I wouldn't mind getting more familiar and comforable with the shell stitch.

Yeah I have high hopes...I know. :)

I'd like to learn how to do Thread Crochet (snowflakes for a start) along with blocking, knit socks, and figure out how to actually make wearables like sweaters actually fit me so I don't look like I pulled on a bulky sweatshirt every time!

(Wow, how am I going to manage all that??) :think

I haven't got the thread hooks I want that will be more comfortable, so that's delayed; and I have no sock yarn as yet, so that'll wait for now. Last night I sat down and plotted out a sweater that I really really hope will fit me relatively well when it's done!

I've been crocheting for years and have tried lots of stitches, but I've never quite accomplished the increase and decrease on my filet projects so this is what I am hoping to tackle this year. I hope Katchkan will offer her class for this since I wasn't able to take it last time it was available.

Here's a hint for those wishing to learn to increase in filet--adapt your pattern so your increases are in open mesh, not solid mesh. It is MUCH easier/faster and (IMO) looks much better. I wish someone had given me that piece of advice before I struggled with learning and trying to perfect sold mesh increases.

The first of these tutorials agrees with me, the second tutorial avoids mentioning filled mesh increases altogether!!

http://www.smartcrochet.com/tutorial.shtml

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

I'm going to try filet crochet. Someone wants me to make a palm tree curtain panel. I have the pattern and started a few rows but I'm wooried about the open spaces in the palm tree branches. I might need some help when I get to that part.

Priszm, I haven't tried it but there's one I got from Annie's Attic as a FPOD called "Family Heritage" and it's from Old Time Crochet Made Easy. It actually uses mostly popcorns instead of blocks, though it does have blocks too. It doesn't look too hard but it does have increases and decreases.

I want to learn to design clothing that fits. I'm in the progress of designing a pair of boxers that will be felted.

I also want to learn how to "convert" knit patterns to crochet. This is part of why I want to learn to design.

I also want to figure out how to make ornate cables in crochet. I know how to do the basic ones, but I have yet to get the ones where there are multiple strands intertwining or the medallion type ones.

I've always admired the old-fashioned elegance and beauty of filet so I want to try my hand at it. I don't like the idea of graphs so it'll be a challenge but I probably won't try anything too complicated and maybe after one thing I will be satisfied. There's more I want to learn but I'll try to keep it one at a time.

There is so much I would like to learn how to do. Stuff that after three...wait...four years you would *think* I would know how to do. I would like to start doing thread crochet, my dream is making a table runner for my mom. I would like to figure out how to do things like oh I dunno...HATS! Things that go in a circle...

and I wouldn't mind getting more familiar and comforable with the shell stitch.

Yeah I have high hopes...I know. :)

Hats are really easy to make but I understand where you are, in the past I'd only made one, which I copied from another, and since I'd abandoned crochet I forgot almost everything so earlier this year I somehow thought it would not be easy. But I found the Beginner Friendly Hat and gave it a try, it was so easy that it encouraged me to try others, in fact, while trying to make gifts for Christmas I ended up writing a pattern for the Boy's Striped Hat which to my surprise has become pretty popular around here.

I am loving the response here friends! Filet Crochet is one of my FAVORITES. I love thread crochet, and actualy for those of you wanting to try filet, GO FOR IT< it is just the same as regular crochet, just in thread, it takes a bit to get used to the smaller thread and needle, but once you do, trust me you will be hooked, pun intended :lol, My older son is a great drawer, and he has made me filet designs on graph paper before that I wanted to do, like I have a pair of love birds he drew out for me. Also I have alot of Decorative crochet magazines so if anyone is looking into anything particular, please let me know I will be happy to look a pattern up for you. I HIGHLY recomed Katchacans patterns also, she is an excelent designer, and her patterns are easy to follow. You can go to her site and buy a pattern and download it right away, she has downloadable patterns as well as booklettes to purchase.

For me the graphing carrying yarns will be a challenge for me, I am wondering how the back of the ghan will look, I want to do it in sc as with my bad arthritis I can not handle a long afghan hook. The pattern I found on e-bay has all the stuff with it, the pattern and yarn and instructions on sc or the afghan stitch.

Lets keep track here of peoples progress, heck if we get enough who want to start I might start a Crochet a long on this. Let me know here in the thread if you would be interested in a CAL to keep you going at it.

Hugs

JoAnn

I will send you the pattern book you want the pattern out of, if you would be willing to return it if it is one I want to keep, to keep in copyright guidlines. Or I will gladly give you a magazine of Decorative Crochet also if it has a pattern in your wanting. Just PM me.

Graphing - I'm fascinated by the works I see here, but I've never gotten the hang of it.

I'd also love to learn to make socks. My girls are so picky with the materials that socks are made of that I thought I could make some that would be more like what they were looking for.

I only learned to crochet 6 months ago, so becoming more confident and precise is my main goal, but if practise makes perfect I should be fine because I am addicted ! :hook:hook:hook

I would definitely like to make some wearables, I can already do hats and scarfs which are a lot of fun, and I am in a CAL for both. I would like to make some slippers, then a shrug, then a cardigan. I love all the inspiration I get on here!

Archived