[Ended] Snowflakes in July Along

Julie

I have been working on this snowflake http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/03ornaments/prettysnowflake.shtmlall day and with the crochet thread I had what looked like a loose ball of knots, so I switched to red heart classics and I ended up with a tight ball of knots:oops

So I went froggin:2frog and I am still working on my first flake. It may just take me all week to make one snowflake but I am going to get it yet! It is so fun to try and make something that is not square:D .

Amanda:hook

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the thread sticks to me cuz it's so bloody hot & humid. when I get home from work...I'm a puddle. snpwflakes & christmas =cool weather & snow; both which seem so distant right now... did I mention it's HOT?

I'm right there with you. I keep telling myself that if I've got a snowflake in my hands it must be cool.

It ain't workin'! :lol

woohoo! finished one thread snowflake today (well no blocking/stiffening or weaving ends in yet) and I got pretty far on my stranded snowflake project but decided it was too big and frogged :frog it. Doh! Ah well :) Tomorrow's another day!

I am pleased to report that I have 3 and 1/2 flakes to show for today's effort:D although technically....they aren't finished:blush They still need to be blocked and starched. I think I will wait until I have a few more and then block them all at once!:hook

My camera SO does not like close up pictures of anything. I really need a new digital camera :( But for those who enjoy blurry pictures, I've added a link in my sig for my flakes! I'm up to 6 done, one on the next to the last round that will be finished tonight. None of mine are blocked yet; I guess I need to have a block party tomorrow and get the finished ones blocked, or I'll have a huge job by the end of the week! My goal is 2 per day; I'm a little ahead so given everything else going on here, I'm happy.

And I second what Julie said about giving yourself permission to cut and run if a pattern just isn't working. I tried a pattern from the Martha Stewart site that just would NOT work for me. I don't know if I was having a particularly blonde moment or if it's poorly written or if it was a combination of both, but after I frogged the stupid thing the third time I moved on. Too many other pretty patterns out there to stress over one that isn't working out!

Well, I tried that pattern one more time last night, figured out half my problem but was still stuck, so I took Julie's advice, frogged it, and then made 2 and half little snowflakes! Yea!!:c9 The ends aren't woven in and I've never blocked anything, so I thought I'd just do them all at one time this weekend--I don't have either starch or white glue in my house. But maybe these little ones will help me figure out what the heck I was doing wrong with the big one.

I am having a blast with these! I bought 2 balls of white thread over the weekend (one Knit-Cro-Sheen, one white with pearlized threads), and still have quite a bit of the Sassy leftover from the bookmark swap, so I'm set.

I didn't bother to try to take photos of these little ones, since they're not completely done. Will probably wind up taking one photo of them all this Sunday. But please, everyone, post yours so I can drool! Patty

Well guys after 2days of taking care of my daughter I am back in business.. I finished 4 snowflakes today patterns came from the net not sure where all my printout reads is snowflake #1 #2 etc... Will post a pic tomorrow:) Its nice to see all the lovely snowflakes.. Its not hot here but quite cold and rainy..we are in the midst of our monsoon magic:) never snows here though:( I miss Rochester:(

Hugs

Vims

I have been working on this snowflake http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/03ornaments/prettysnowflake.shtmlall day and with the crochet thread I had what looked like a loose ball of knots, so I switched to red heart classics and I ended up with a tight ball of knots:oops

So I went froggin:2frog and I am still working on my first flake. It may just take me all week to make one snowflake but I am going to get it yet! It is so fun to try and make something that is not square:D .

Amanda:hook

I am so happy to know that I'm knot (couldn't resist) alone.. my first snowflake was all knots..the thread was not fun, the hook too small.. so I went a froggin' as well. I agree it's fun to do something different.... :D

I'm still charting my major projects but I plan to make two of the snowflake (the pattern was posted by another member) coasters this afternoon. My biggest project is knitted,--I know it's a CAL but I remember reading it was ok if we used another medium--and is going to be an illusion snowflake scarf. I'm not pleased with my snowflake design yet. My second, is either going to be a motif scarf or my own coasters made from my daughter's snowflake cut-outs.

My goals for this crochet-along are seven snowflakes, none of them thread. I don't have anything against thread, I just plan to work a lot with it very soon and so I want this to be standard yarn. Plus, my crochet time is very stop-and-go lately and with the way my eyes are bothering me I'd rather do something I can see easier.

I've promised myself if I finish ten snowflakes--even if it's just ten potholders and coasters--that I will buy myself three balls of Imagine yarn by Lion Brand. It'll be my first time even touching ribbon yarn so I have quite the incentive. Plus, this is just fun; I haven't been able to join any local crafting groups and that's what swaps and CALs feel like to me.

Well, sorry for rambling, I just wanted to give ya'll my progress report. Also, I'm really enjoying reading about the snowflakes you all are making :)

Take care everyone

and happy hooking ;),

Holiday

Well everyone, I have made at least, let me count again to make sure.....

38 snowflakes. And I gave quite a few away as gifts. Then I was left with just two, but I continued on and made 36 more. So, do I have to continue? I ran out of white thread and have no white yarn....

:eek

Here are the snowflakes I completed last night, finally got pics taken tonight. I haven't started any tonight yet but hope to get a couple done later.

snowflakes.jpg

Hope you all like them, I got the patterns from some old crochet magazines I had here and using gold, silver and ecru with metallic thread interlaced.

Mary

Those are beautiful, Mary!

I did 3 snowflakes tonight, which brings my grand total to.... 3 :embar I was planning on making at least two a day this week, but I haven't felt like crocheting at all. That's so not like me!

let's try this again...

38 snowflakes? OMG! I am still up to... 1 1/2. Had every intention crocheting up a storm last night.... then the storm hit us..and we were w/out power for approx 8 hours. I couldn't see to crochet by lamplight.... so I have major catching up to do.

It is fun, it must admit. The illusion snowflake scarf sounds great. I think knitting is fun as well.

I am also using old patterns found in some workbasket magazines that I inherited. I even have book dating back to the year I was born (1963). It's funny to look at the old add's.....

I can't even conceive of 38 *lol* I'd have to have been crocheting nonstop morning to night since Monday to even come close to that number. Actually I'm not sure I could have even then ... it's been so long since I've done any thread work that I"m pitifully slow :( But! I'm up to 7 snowflakes, 1 snowflake bookmark (which I adore and plan to make several of) and 4 snowflake centers for hexagons for a snowflake afghan. I'm happy with this, I'll have some beautiful package decorations and I'm going to make more bookmarks as stocking stuffers/decorations for book gifts. This CAL was such a good idea :)

I just finished my fourth one last night, which isn't nearly as many as I'd hoped to have done by now but it isn't like I'm going to just give up. :wink Hopefully I can get started earlier today. :xfin

Mary, those are beautiful!! I never thought to do a snowflake in anything other than white... I have some gold with a shiny thread running through it, I think I'll try one with that! I so far have: 2 snowflake bookmarks, 2 coasters, one snowflake from my new "Lacy Snowflakes" book, I finished last night! It turned out really nice, with the new thread I was sent by a special someone.... :manyheart I will add a picture in a couple minutes. (Need more coffee to think still...)

Okay here are my snowflakes. I put them on my dark olive green bathroom towel so you could see them better. :D

th_c2a6e71f.jpg

I don't have anything to do today :clap so I will be able to work on some more snowflakes, I hope! I wanted to do this Snow Flower doily (it's a PDF file, FYI) it looks too complicated for me, though. Technically, it's not a snowflake, either... So.... :)

Tina

:eek 38?!? :eek Holy cow!

Mary, yours are so stunning I'm glad I forgot to bring my camera to work to upload the photos of mine. They look, well, let's just say the look lumpy and dowdy next to yours. I'll hide them on the wall side of the tree. :P That is, if I get any better at making them and the rest aren't lumpy and dowdy.

I've made 7 small snowflakes. At this rate, by Chirstmas, I'll maybe have a couple dozen. Guess I'd better select a table top tree this year. :lol

Patty

I finished three snowflakes so far...Well two snowflakes and a mini one! It was a large snowflake but I decided that it was cute the way it was half way through the pattern and I did not want to go further on it!

I am being lazy today and do not want to re-size my pictures :blush So I have posted them on my blog where I can use html to shrink them up nice and small...all of them are clickable for a larger picture!

http://cityofcrochet.blogspot.com/2005/07/snowflakes-on-thursday.html

38 Melannie????? :eek I don't think I could make that many in a one month span!!

Everyones Flakes have been gorgeous so far!! :clap Keep up the great work ladies!! :cheer

Mary - Your snowflakes are beautiful. I never thought of using another color.I'm going to have to go through the stash and do some experimenting tonight.

I'm at 6. I went to visit my friend and her daughter yesterday and didn't get to work on any:( .

Archived