[Ended] Snowflakes in July Along

Julie

Here are my first five flakes, finally. They range in size from 5 to 7 inches. :flake

cal1.jpg

If I can get another five or more done by the end of this week I'll be a happy camper!

Those are gorgeous! :manyheart

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True conversation this evening:

Him: So I've been meaning to ask you, what the heck are you making anyway?

Me: <holding up snowflake> What does it look like?

Him: Hm. Um. Like, a snowflake?

Me: Yep!

Him: That's kinda cute actually.

Me: I made these too <shows him the other ones>

Him: I like that one .. and that one. And the big one. You know what, these would look really good on the Christmas tree!

Me: ....... Ya think?

Him: No, I'm serious!

Me: ......

I've always suspected he was totally oblivious, and now I have proof!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm almost done with thread flake #12 ... not as much time as I'd have liked this week to make them but I'm very happy with having this many done.

Here are my first five flakes, finally. They range in size from 5 to 7 inches. :flake

cal1.jpg

If I can get another five or more done by the end of this week I'll be a happy camper!

Julie-

Which book is the top left flake from?

Hi Jenn,

Nope, mine's not from Craftster, I'm still re-tooling my snowflake design to get it just right. Lol, most of my actual crocheting will probably take place tomorrow night and Saturday/mid-Sunday. I'll go take a looksie at Craftster and see if I can find the one posted there though. Are you colors heavily contrasted? I've noticed that the scarves that use very intense or bright colors seem to pop the most. How many motifs are you into it? I wonder if it isn't like some craft projects where you can see it from a distance but up close it's more of a jumble?...

I hope it works out :)

Take care all,

Holiday

Ah- The one I'm working on is from Craftster, in the knitting forum, under finished projects, then topic-surprise-Snowflake Illusion Scarf. I'm using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in blue bonnet (a bright, almost royal blue) and cream. It has a good contrast, but I dunno- I think somehow my knitting is too spread out. So I'm re working the chart myself. I was two motifs in, but decided I couldn't see a darn thing, so I ripped it out. I'm about to start the second motif of the second try :) I'm not going to rip, I'm just going to try my version of the chart-one motif that doesn't "pop" isn't going to ruin the whole effect if it DOES work. I'm looking forward to seeing your design!

Top left is from 101 Snowflakes - it's #23, bottom right on the front cover of the book. :)

I like yours more than the book's picture! I'm going to be home alone tomorrow, so plenty of ME TIME. Hopefully I can get at least one more flake done before the week is over. I feel kind of bummed that I had to rip my scarf so often, and that I only got one flake done.

I was rather traumatized by that one flake though. My cat saw the lurex swaying in the AC, and took a jump- ran off when I tried to shoo her, with the lurex strand in her mouth! Both my boyfriend and I were petrified that she had eaten some, but she's been fine. But I'll tell you, I actually crocheted the rest of that flake (after re-attaching the lurex, grrrr) standing UP. And I'm not kidding.

I finished one snowflake!! Sweetie the snowflake. I'm sure I found the pattern here but I can't find it. Does anyone know a way I could finish it to combine it to make say a scarf or childs blanket? I'm also half way through Linda's Snowflake potholder. You make 2 and attach them back to back. Sorry, don't know how to do pictures. :hook

Colleen

Sweetie the Snowflake :manyheart

To make a scarf, you could make another Sweetie so you have one for each end. Then, join in one of the top three loops (end), ch 1, sc in same lp, ch 2, sc in next lp, ch 2, sc in next lp. Turn. Use your favorite stitch combination to make half your scarf. Finish off.

Repeat for the other end, but don't finish off. Hold Right Sides together and slip stitch across the center seam of the scarf. Finish off.

For a lacy edging, join in any loop on Sweetie, ch 1, sc in same loop. *(Ch 3, sc in next loop) around Sweetie and evenly around the long edge of your scarf* until you get to the next Sweetie. Then repeat from * to * once. Ch 3, join in first sc. Finish off. :hook

Top left is from 101 Snowflakes - it's #23, bottom right on the front cover of the book. :)

Oh wow! :hook I don't think I've seen that book before! Just from seeing the cover, it looks like it has some interesting patterns- I've been pretty disappointed with the last 2 books I bought- (LA Lacy Snowflakes and White Christmas) the patterns have been pretty simplistic and I've noticed quite a few errors. I have been looking for some patterns with more intiricate designs I may have to check into this one:D

Oh wow! :hook I don't think I've seen that book before! Just from seeing the cover, it looks like it has some interesting patterns- I've been pretty disappointed with the last 2 books I bought- (LA Lacy Snowflakes and White Christmas) the patterns have been pretty simplistic and I've noticed quite a few errors. I have been looking for some patterns with more intiricate designs I may have to check into this one:D

I like the 101 book, and then I have 99 Snowflakes too which is pretty good. Most of the snowflakes I've done seem to be from those two books. I have Lacy Snowflakes and White Christmas; it took a while for me to be patient enough to do the ones in White Christmas, I'm not sure why. Lacy Snowflakes was the first book I bought. The other snowflakes I have made (and I finished 3 others yesterday, still need to block them) for this CAL came from Crocheted Snowflakes by Mary Thomas. I think it's out of print, but I got my copy on eBay. Umm... bottom right the picture came from 101 Snowflakes too, but the rest are from Crocheted Snowflakes.

Just my luck! I would pick the pattern book with errors and that even you thread experts don't have the patience to do. Vatonc1, which patterns in White Treasures had mistakes? Maybe that's been my trouble? I had no trouble with any of the small ones, but the bigger ones are more challenging and maybe I can blame it on an error in the pattern and not on my own incompetence?

Got one small one done last night and half of a large one. Hit a snag, though, in the third and final round and decided not to frustrate myself. So I practiced my knitting with a Warm Up America square instead. Don't want to cheat on the CAL! LOL

Patty

it took a while for me to be patient enough to do the ones in White Christmas, I'm not sure why.

I wonder what the "deal" is with White Christmas:think. I loved it when I bought it, but after sitting down with it and trying a few patterns...I find myself putting it down (in disgust LOL) and reaching for something else. I don't find the patterns especially difficult, maybe it's how they're written...:( (or it could be the lack of sleep I've had this week :lol)

Oh....I forgot to add..I picked up some Royale at Michaels today, and found some white with a "Pearle" filament wrapped around the thread. It reminds me of the Knit Cro-Sheen that has the metallic thread wrapped around it- but this is more iridescent. So...

I haven't gotten around to using it, but I was wondering about any suggestions for blocking....I usually just use the 'tried and true' starch and water method for just plain thread, but I think the starch will probably limit the "sparkle factor" with this thread. What are you all using when you block with Lurex? :hook

Just my luck! I would pick the pattern book with errors and that even you thread experts don't have the patience to do. Vatonc1, which patterns in White Treasures had mistakes? Maybe that's been my trouble? I had no trouble with any of the small ones, but the bigger ones are more challenging and maybe I can blame it on an error in the pattern and not on my own incompetence?

LOL Patty!:) I didn't write down the pattern #'s like I should have:blush...as you probably read in my other post, I have had little to no sleep this week (due to my 2 toddlers that refused to understand Mommy's need for sleep) so I am probably not as "rational" as I should be:lol!!!

I haven't completely given up on that book though, I just bought it a few weeks ago, and this CAT was the first time I had worked with it- I will definately keep notes the next time I use it regarding the errors I run into :hook

I picked up some Royale at Michaels today, and found some white with a "Pearle" filament wrapped around the thread. ...

I haven't gotten around to using it, but I was wondering about any suggestions for blocking....I usually just use the 'tried and true' starch and water method for just plain thread, but I think the starch will probably limit the "sparkle factor" with this thread. What are you all using when you block with Lurex? :hook

I just block it like I would if it wasn't there. I use Stiffy by Plaid to stiffen my flakes (I think it's a glue/water mix), and the Lurex shows through just fine. :D If you're worried, try to stiffen a little swatch to see how it works.

"]th_9a85a333.jpg

(These aren't very good pictures, but...) Here are some gold and red ones. The snowflake is #31 in the "Lacy Snowflakes" book by Leisure Arts. The bookmarks are the snowflake bookmark from CPC.

Here is a white one, with the Lurex in it. :) It is #15 in the "Lacy Snowflakes" book, I am almost done with. (They all need to be stiffened, still.)

th_dd684e2b.jpg

There is a glare in that one, sorry. So far this brings me up to 3 snowflakes, and four snowflake bookmarks. Oh, five snowflakes. I forgot about the two coasters I made. Oh well.. It's more than I thought I would get done. And now I am thinking about joining the Snowflake Monday CAL. ;) It has been fun. And I kind of liked that I couldn't switch around between all my three dozen projects because I 'had' to make snowflakes. I need more self-control. :lol

Tina

Oh wow everyone, the pics posted, you all have made some truly lovely snowflakes :). I think I'll have to find out what Snowflake Mondays are and make some thread ones this year. We have two little mini-trees we use (limited space) and I just realized they might look perfect on them.

Jenn,

I have to find my camera and finish re-tooling the pattern but if it works out I'd be glad to share it with you if you want. I found the thread on Craftster, thanks for the information on locating it. How is your chart coming? *Smiles,* even if one doesn't pop the difference will be like true snowflakes--the way they're all different, you know? Well, here's hoping both of our scarves come out the way we want them!

-Holiday, who still needs to finish a few coasters :lol.

Ah- The one I'm working on is from Craftster, in the knitting forum, under finished projects, then topic-surprise-Snowflake Illusion Scarf. I'm using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in blue bonnet (a bright, almost royal blue) and cream. It has a good contrast, but I dunno- I think somehow my knitting is too spread out. So I'm re working the chart myself. I was two motifs in, but decided I couldn't see a darn thing, so I ripped it out. I'm about to start the second motif of the second try :) I'm not going to rip, I'm just going to try my version of the chart-one motif that doesn't "pop" isn't going to ruin the whole effect if it DOES work. I'm looking forward to seeing your design!

So I attempted snowflakes four times this week and I came out with zero snowflakes. I am going to keep going maybe in August I will actually have one to show you guys :lol !

Great snowflakes everyone!!!:cheer

Amanda:hook

Here are my last six 'official' CAL snowflakes, they range in size from 3½ to 6½ inches:

cal2.jpg

I'm thrilled that I was able to make eleven snowflakes, for a while there I didn't think I'd make it past four. :hook

For those of you that loved making snowflakes this week, you're more than welcome to grab the Snowflake Mondays button:

snomon.gif

The idea of Snowflake Mondays is simple if you aren't familiar with it. The plan is to set aside your regular projects and make snowflakes on Mondays, every single Monday all year long. It isn't a rule or even an official CAL (though I could make it a webring, I'll look into that), you just have to promise yourself that more often than not when Monday rolls around you'll be making snowflakes.

If and when I make it a webring there will be additional details. :D I love surfing blogs and seeing snowflakes being made, so please join us!

Julie, you make the most beautiful snowflakes! I just wish mine were that good! Maybe someday....

I had set a goal of 14 for the week, but I only did 9. I just couldn't seem to get in the crochet mood Monday and Tuesday, and Friday I had a little accident that left me out of it just about all day. It's always something, I guess!

Im000442.jpg

A couple of them still need blocking (badly!), and some of them just aren't that good, but I'm still relatively new to thread, so I'll let that be my excuse!:hook

Julie, you make the most beautiful snowflakes! I just wish mine were that good! Maybe someday....

I had set a goal of 14 for the week, but I only did 9. I just couldn't seem to get in the crochet mood Monday and Tuesday, and Friday I had a little accident that left me out of it just about all day. It's always something, I guess!

Im000442.jpg

A couple of them still need blocking (badly!), and some of them just aren't that good, but I'm still relatively new to thread, so I'll let that be my excuse!:hook

:flake :flake :flake :flake :flake

Yours are all beautiful, Brie! You did very nice work for being new to thread! I have been working with thread for 11+ years, and I still feel like I am not that good at it. (I need a magnifying glass to see what I am doing, for one thing...) Very pretty!:manyheart

Archived