[Ended] Snowflakes in July Along

Julie

All snowflakes are special, and with practice it all gets better, take pictures we all would like to see them. :cheer I have done snowflakes on and off over the years and if you saw some of my earlier efforts you wouldn't worry about yours either.

Mary

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was completing a bookmark for a bookmark exchange over at Crochet List, and I incorporated snowflakes in mine! There was a "Christmas in July" theme for those who wanted to do a themed bookmark. A contest, too. You think mine will win? I sure hope so! I had fun thinking it up and making it. The patterns are not mine, but I took 5 patterns and made a bookmark with them! Here's a pic!

CLBMXJuly2.jpg

Karla, that's adorable! It definitely deserves to win!

I'm still at one and a half snowflakes...I have three 12-hour shifts this week and last night when I got home I was just too tired to see straight. I'm hoping to get a chance to finish the current one during the day today. I'm finding the pattern confusing but I've toughed it out to the last round so I hope to be able to finish it. But I may give it up and start a different pattern if it keeps being so difficult!

Karla your bookmark is fabulous. It makes me want to go out and pick up something new to read!

Mary your snowflakes are beautiful.

For the last two days I've been :frog more than getting anything actually completed. I gave up on the thread last night and went back to sport weight. I've completed 4 snowflakes so far.

I like that snowflake afghan and pillow. I think I'll give it a go tonight after work.

I'm still charting my major projects but I plan to make two of the snowflake (the pattern was posted by another member) coasters this afternoon. My biggest project is knitted,--I know it's a CAL but I remember reading it was ok if we used another medium--and is going to be an illusion snowflake scarf. I'm not pleased with my snowflake design yet.

Take care everyone

and happy hooking ;),

Holiday

Holiday- is it the snowflake illusion scarf from Craftster? I'm doing that one for this crochet/knit along, too! I'm having problems making the snowflakes "pop"

Everyone else- you're doing such gorgeous work, it's inspiring me to go get my hook and make tons of snowflakes RIGHT NOW. I've made one so far, using white thread, and trying to blend in blue lurex- I think it'll look good on the tree with lights. I'm a little sad I won't be able to find out until December :)

-Jenn

Holy cow, Melannie! 38!?! I've just got my 8 sewn together to start my cardi!

To answer my own sleeve question, I've figured it out. I'm going to straighten the edge that needs to be set in before sewing it in. Now, I just have to go down a hook size or two and make the sleeve motifs!

Pics coming soon, I promise!! :gallery (wanted a shutterbug smilie...:P)

Hi Jenn,

Nope, mine's not from Craftster, I'm still re-tooling my snowflake design to get it just right. Lol, most of my actual crocheting will probably take place tomorrow night and Saturday/mid-Sunday. I'll go take a looksie at Craftster and see if I can find the one posted there though. Are you colors heavily contrasted? I've noticed that the scarves that use very intense or bright colors seem to pop the most. How many motifs are you into it? I wonder if it isn't like some craft projects where you can see it from a distance but up close it's more of a jumble?...

I hope it works out :)

To everyone,

It is so much fun sharing my progress and reading about all of yours. The pictures that have been posted are gorgeous too.

Take care all,

Holiday

Man I'm bummed. I had the whole day to do 'nothing', and didn't get one snowflake done.:angry I went to Michaels' (to see if they carried lurex), and I got lost. Not really 'lost' but went the wrong way on the highway, then on went west when I should have went east. Then, did the same thing on the way home, too. Grr... And, they didn't even have any. So, does anyone know of any stores that carry Lurex, or is it something you have to order online? We have Michaels, JoAnns, and I still haven't checked the LYS. I saw one, but don't know how to get back there. I'll have to go to Map Quest. (They don't show you the back ways, though.) Anyway..... :cry Maybe I will get to work on some tomorrow....

Tina

Man I'm bummed. I had the whole day to do 'nothing', and didn't get one snowflake done.:angry I went to Michaels' (to see if they carried lurex), and I got lost. Not really 'lost' but went the wrong way on the highway, then on went west when I should have went east. Then, did the same thing on the way home, too. Grr... And, they didn't even have any. So, does anyone know of any stores that carry Lurex, or is it something you have to order online? We have Michaels, JoAnns, and I still haven't checked the LYS. I saw one, but don't know how to get back there. I'll have to go to Map Quest. (They don't show you the back ways, though.) Anyway..... :cry Maybe I will get to work on some tomorrow....

Tina

Ugh on getting lost!! :hug

I don't believe any stores sell Lurex like we've been getting it. You can buy the little Kreinik spools of metallic thread which are the same or at the very least very similar. The main difference though is the cost. Ordering by the pound on eBay, which is where Jess and I and others have bought ours, is SO cheap!! A two pound cone of Lurex from Melanie (and other vendors) will run between $10 to $14 plus shipping. I'm not positive about the yards per pound, but it would just have to be in the 1,000+ ypp. Jess, do you have a better idea? So $3 or $4 for the little Kreinik spools (to try, sure), or a bargain with more Lurex than you will ever be able to use if you order online. Yeah, I'm pushing ordering online, but I wouldn't if I thought you would regret it. One spool may well last you years and years and years, imagine how many of those little spools you would have to buy to make up the difference?

I was completing a bookmark for a bookmark exchange over at Crochet List, and I incorporated snowflakes in mine! There was a "Christmas in July" theme for those who wanted to do a themed bookmark. A contest, too. You think mine will win? I sure hope so! I had fun thinking it up and making it. The patterns are not mine, but I took 5 patterns and made a bookmark with them!

Karla that is adorable!!! :clap Excellent job!!

Here are the nine snowflakes I made so far...

snow1.jpg

I used some size 10 and 5 gold and silver thread I had lying around, and the patterns are from the ASN Book, 101 Small Doilies. it's not a snowflake book per se, but snowflakes to me are just small doilies anyway.

It's fun to work on these while the temperature here in Charleston hits triple digits.

I don't believe any stores sell Lurex like we've been getting it. You can buy the little Kreinik spools of metallic thread which are the same or at the very least very similar. The main difference though is the cost...

Yeah, I think it must be over 1000 ypp. I haven't tried to do a measurement estimation yet -- it weighs so little I'd have to wind off a huge amount to get enough weight to estimate anything reasonable! :)

That said, if you can't order online, as Julie said above, the Kreinik spools are very similar, though the textures are slightly different. It works just fine, though.

I've seen the Kreinik spools at AC Moore (mid-atlantic region only, I believe), Pacific Fabrics (PNW only, I believe), and at sewing/thread stores like the larger JoAnn's Fabrics and Hancock Fabrics. I've never seen them at Michaels, but my Michaels is awful (so is the JoAnn's it is right next door to).

The fabric shops might even have other metallic threads that you would be able to use, either by themselves or worked with the crochet thread you're using.

Sorry you got lost! Hope you can find some sparkley fun! :hug

I used some size 10 and 5 gold and silver thread I had lying around, and the patterns are from the ASN Book, 101 Small Doilies. it's not a snowflake book per se, but snowflakes to me are just small doilies anyway.

It's fun to work on these while the temperature here in Charleston hits triple digits.

Vera, you're right, those do look like little snowflakes!! :clap Very pretty!

Ooo! We have a Hancock Fabrics right down the road! I know I won't get lost going there! YAY! :clap I know where I'm going tomorrow... I think I might like to try a smaller spool, anyway, because I don't think I am going to make that many snowflakes. Maybe if I started planning my day around my crocheting, then I could get something done, huh? :lol "Uh.... I need to finish this snowflake first, then I can clean the bathroom, (let the dog out, feed the kids, let the dog in, do the laundry...." ( Don't we all wish?) :D

I love everyone's snowflakes! I am going to try some in gold, too. (I have some of that, already.)

Tina

Edited to say: Our JoAnns doesn't have anything either, I moved from a smaller town w/ a JoAnns that was HUGE, and had EVERYTHING. Here, a big city, the JoAnns has NOTHING. :think I can't figure that one out. (Guess I'll have to go back 'home', eh?) :D

What beautiful snowflakes that everyone is creating.:cheer I am trying out a pattern for a three dimensional snowflake will let you know how it turns out.

Mary

Here are the two 3-d snowflakes I made. Boy were they a pain especially trying to block them. As you can tell by the picture they need blocked better but I can't seem to get them just right.

3-dsnowflake3.jpg

My snowflakes took a dive yesterday - my friend and colleague is in having tests for some unknown (as yet) lung disease, so I felt compelled to make a Prayer Shawl from the Shawl Ministry. :worried

I feel better about it all today, so, snowflakes abound tonight!!:manyheart

Alison

Here are my first five flakes, finally. They range in size from 5 to 7 inches. :flake

cal1.jpg

If I can get another five or more done by the end of this week I'll be a happy camper!

WOW! Everyone's snowflakes are so gorgeous! I'm in awe! :nworthy And 3-D?!? :nworthy :nworthy :nworthy

I made one small snowflake last night and then decided to tackle that pattern that was giving me fits Monday night. Got it! Guess I just needed to step back for a while. But for some reason making snowflakes is bothering my left wrist, which I sprained May 29 (even though making the bookmarks last month didn't bother it all), so I only got those 2 done. More tonight, though.

Great job, everyone! There are quite a few really talented women in this CAL!

Patty

Here are the two 3-d snowflakes I made. Boy were they a pain especially trying to block them. As you can tell by the picture they need blocked better but I can't seem to get them just right.

3-dsnowflake3.jpg

I have the pattern for the 3D flakes. They look so cool:2rock , but I'm so lazy at blocking my 2D ones.

Archived