Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so glad this thread is still alive, despite being well over a year old. I have been longing to make this particular pattern for months, but have only now got the pattern. Of course, I am miles behind everyone else (not that there seem to be too many people left), but in a way it is an advantage, because I can benefit from all the tips.

Hi amdm --

There seems to be six or seven of us either working on it now, or in the planning stages. Join the fun! I've collected most of the tips, questions and corrections at http://www.precision-guesswork.com/cathedral-cal.html -- I'll probably do another revision this weekend and incorporate the last couple weeks' worth of chat and experience.

darski also set up a Yahoo mailing group for us, during the C-ville times of strife, and there are progress photos and color ideas in the photos section there.

I'm just attaching the large heptagons - I'll have new progress photos this weekend, too.

cheers! tbird

tbird,

Your collection of tips is what I was referring to. I used the system of crocheting the triangles on directly, as given by you, and found it quick and painless. However, I find my central octagon is very puffy, and it looks flat in all the pictures. I have decided not to unravel, as I am making it in thread as a wallhanging, and the bulge adds interest. (I would have liked to know what went wrong, though, and I am assuming it is due to the vast difference between the yarn the pattern was written for, and the thread I am using.)

My central octagon is a little puffy relative to the really flat parts of the afghan (the rounds). It doesn't look terribly puffy next to the double-stranded pentagons...

What kinds of yarn are you using?

I thought about slip-stitching over the four stitches between the end of the last pyramid, and the beginning of the next, but it looked kinda bulky. I'm going to be doing some sewing today, so may not get Round 18 finished, but I may skip ahead a bit and work enough of Round 19 to see if crocheting over the ends will work. I'll report back!

tbird

Thanks tbird for helping all of us! There's no sense in reinventing the wheel.

I just started row 18 of section 2 and also wondered about slip-stitching rather than fastening off in between the pyramids. But I think I'll just bite the bullet, follow the directions, and weave in all the ends (in due time). The less frogging we can do the happier we'll all be.

The choice of thread and yarn is very limited here in India, and our climate is such that there is no point in making anything warm. My version of the cathedral window is a miniature one, done in thread. Since labelling varies from country to country, the only indication I can give is that it is compatible with a 1.3 mm hook. I am using a mauve and cream combination for the light parts, and a pink and dark pink combination for the darker parts. (There were no blue/purple combinations available).

Yes, it sounds gorgeous, amdm. We'll all be cheering you on!

Birdlady1, I never did figure out a way to avoid breaking the yarn as I worked on that yarn, so like you I did end up just weaving the ends in. I did discipline myself to weave them in as I went...

I got the large heptagons and columns all done last night, so I'll get a new picture up some time today. Hurray!

Hi tbird, I am not far from you in downtown San Jose. The Rug and Yarn Hut is in your neck of the woods, at 350 E Campbell Avenue, in the historic district of Campbell. I am pleased to finally have an LYS actually within walking distance of me (a long walk, admittedly) just over a year old, Communknity, at the Alameda & Julian (1345 the Alameda).

Anyway, I like the look of the Cathedral Window afghan, and got the book as a "freebie" from Annie's Attic years ago when I purchased a hardbound book from them. I didn't really like the colors it was offered in, and have thought about doing it in primary colors bordered in black as an "alternative", but to look like a real stained glass window, variegateds are probably best. I may yet do it someday.

Thank you for all your encouraging words. I have now reached the first pyramid round. Since I am working in thread I blocked the central octagon, to make it lie flat and emphasise the puffiness of the surrounding pentagons, which are not as puffy in thread as they are in yarn. For the popcorns I used 5 dc instead of three, because 3 thread dc just do not make an effective popcorn. Crocheting the triangles on directly was a real help, because such intricate work on such a small scale can be unbearably fiddly. I have also eliminated all the fastening -off and joining-in on the first pyramid round.

Regarding pictures, I have neither website, nor blog, nor photo album, and am trying to think of something.

Hi amdm - Another option for posting pictures: the Yahoo group we set up for this CAL also includes photo albums, which group members can use. If you're interested, go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cathedralwindowCAL/

to register for the group.

I'm making little half circles now, for the large heptagons. They're (apparently) coming out the right size and shape, but wow, working them is nothing like any circle or half circle I've ever made before. I'm not convinced I'm doing it right, so I'm waiting with much curiosity to see what other folks do.

And yep, I've still got to get some pictures taken.

cheers!

tbird

Thanks for the info about the Yahoo group. I am going across to join now. Considering the complexity of the pattern, it grows quite fast. I have sewn in a couple of heptagons, and will be looking out for comments on the half circles.

I'll certainly let folks know if I decide to sell the book after I'm done.

Well, I am on Round 4 of the third section. Once again I find myself taking liberties with the pattern...I'm mostly doing half double crochets instead of double for these rounds, so the black areas don't get quite so heavy. It's nice to be doing rounds again. They seem to annoy me much less than doing the fiddly half circle bits.

I have not managed to take any photos in a while, sorry about that!

How goes it with everyone else?

cheers -- tbird

The choice of thread and yarn is very limited here in India, and our climate is such that there is no point in making anything warm. My version of the cathedral window is a miniature one, done in thread. Since labelling varies from country to country, the only indication I can give is that it is compatible with a 1.3 mm hook. I am using a mauve and cream combination for the light parts, and a pink and dark pink combination for the darker parts. (There were no blue/purple combinations available).

hi amdm,,,,I sure am likeing the sounds of your colors. I cannot wait to to see this Cathedral Window done in your choice of colors.. I am not doing this project as I have way to many crochet ufo going for now. I did finish a doily with beads yesterday and have already started 3 more yesterday.But I sure love reading everyone ideas and comings along on their Cathedral Window ... Been like reading a book sort of...but this book is very interesting! keep me coming back to read more...lol...

I saw thie book on ebay it ended yesterday and sold for $43.00, I have the book but I can't find it, I'm thinking I let someone borrow it and the never returned it, but WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Hello Tbird and all!

I'm still plugging, but slowly. I allowed myself to get into the Caron CAL and find I'm wanting to finish that to have something different for the fall. But the cathedral window continues to go on, and on....

Glad to hear your progress Tina and amdm! I hope to post a pic soon (way overdue), perhaps y'all can too!

Cheers all!

It is so encouraging to see others taking an interest. I am now doing the black rounds after the half circles. Upto now the great thing about this pattern was the fact that every row was something different, but after this it is going to be a repitition of what has happened so far. Still, I am feeling thrilled with my progress, and it really is a fascinating design to make. As for pictures, I have asked my son to help out, and when his college and my school start Autumn vacations tomorrow, maybe I can pin him down.

Hi all --

I'm just finishing up Round 6 of the Third Section, so I've just taken a look at the instructions for filling in the Points and Valleys. The instructions state to start with color A, then do 5 black dcs, and then to finish the row with color B. That can't be right! I don't see anywhere on the front cover picture where the same *round* uses both the light and dark variegated.

It's all color A, right?

thanks -- tbird

Archived