Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still waiting for my emergency shipments of green yarn to arrive, so I can do the last rounds on the main body of the 'ghan. In the meantime, I am experimenting with variations on heptagons for the outside :-)

Hope you feel better soon! My cold is a bit better. I must get my butt to work today.

cheers - tbird

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me where I might be able to get this pattern as I would really like to try and do it...

Wendy

Wendy: The pattern for the Cathedral Rose Window is in a book put out by Annie's Attic called "Award-Winning Afghans." This particular book has been out of print for a long time now. There have been other discussions regarding this pattern here on Crochetville. Rumor has it that Annie's Attic MIGHT reprint or republish the pattern in 2007. We can only hope. Right now your best bet would be to watch E-Bay for this book. But be forewarned that it could be quite expensive as it's extremely popular. I've seen auctions go in excess of $50 (US). Good luck in your search.

Hi Gleda, Yes I have seen the pattern for sale on ebay and its been going for $50US this is about $80 Australian dollars. I really cant afford to pay that much for a crochet book. I have emailed Annies Attic and pleaded with them to reissue it to no avail. I have even checked with Aussie stores here to see if maybe they have a copy but no luck. :no

I guess I will just have to watch you guys do your afghan and just go on with my giant granny square afghan.

Wendy

Hi all --

My green yarn still hasn't arrived, so I've been making heptagons for the final round. I did 8 the normal way, and then started experimenting with granny motifs and things that were a bit more interesting than *just* doing 24 more of the plain ones. I've never done granny squares or anything like that, so this is kind of interesting. I've done 4 so far. I'm hoping I can find (or modify) enough patterns to do half of the ones in this round in this way.

And then a whole bunch more motifs and flowers and stuff that has nothing to do with the original pattern to finish.

Anyone still out there?

cheers - tbird

Tbird, Your window is going to be fabulous!:nworthy ! I can't wait to see it finished. I'm still plugging away on mine. I've tried to add a couple of other colors and I don't like the results so I'm back to sticking with what I've started with. I sure hope you get your yarn soon.

How is everyone else doing?

:morcoffee Cheers!!!

I'm on the half circles.

Haven't been able to do too terribly much...working six days a week, about 57 hours a week.:yawn

I still think I'm on target for completing this in time for Christmas (my mother-in-law's present).

I have a week's vacation coming up in two weeks...however, I can't work on it then...I'm going away...with my MIL.

The really exciting thing for me is that it's coming out really *looking* like the image in my head :-) The vision's a little less clear for the leaves, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

I love the Elvis picture, LadyB...

I, too, have not got very far. Finished the popcorns, but not much beyond that. I am going to be very busy for the next four days, after which I go back to work. I wish I could just sit and crochet all day. (who doesn't?)

• 2 weeks later...

My camera came back from being repaired last weekend, so I've finally gotten some new pictures:

cathedral-of-trees-8.jpg

and

cathedral-of-trees-9.jpg

I'll finish up this last round in the next few days, and then go heptagons and polygons full time.

Is anyone else still working on this?

cheers - Tina

Looks great Tbird, thanks for sharing!:clap :clap :cheer :cheer

Yes, I'm still working on mine. I've not been posting too much as we had family in and I was busy preparing, etc.......so things will get back to normal here soon.

Your window is coming together beautifully.:yay

How is everyone else doing or not doing???? Drop us a word or two!!!

Tbird, I had a look at your photos on your page, and the effect is beautiful. I am more or less at the same point you are, but got deflected because I made a purse for a colleague who was leaving, and need to make a doiley for a friend who is coming on a visit. I am also testing a pattern (very exciting experience). So, cathedral window on the back burner for the moment.

Tbird - that is really coming along beautifully :cheer I can't wait to see the finished product. You definitely have taken a pattern that was already a work of art by itself and taken it to a whole other level to create your own personal work of art.

Mine has been put aside for now as I am working on 3 afghans for Christmas presents. I probably won't be able to get back to the Cathedral Window until after the new year.

Just to prove that i really do have this started. Here was the first pics I took showing most of the yarns I planned to use.

I am well past this stage by now but no new pics

S3600018-f.jpg

Those colors are *great*, darski.

I was a bit surprised last night to discover I've been working on this since August (or late July, if you count the "finding the perfect yarn* stage). I'm not surprised that it's taking that long, but that it really doesn't *feel* like it. I know if I'd done a sewing project that was this long-term, I'd be very annoyed!

I guess part of the reason I can stick with it is that it's relatively undemanding compared to sitting in front of a machine. Being able to watch TV at the same time -- even if I have to watch repeat broadcasts more than I used to -- helps a *lot*.

t.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been sidelined by Christmas presents...more Cathedral Window in a couple of weeks.

However...

The Etsy seller is making scans of the patterns and selling them. She (or he) is breaking the law, and I doubt they'll be selling for very long. Please don't encourage this kind of activity!

• 4 weeks later...

Well...it's done. :clap

Yesterday, after three months and probably over 100 hours of crocheting, I presented my Cathedral Window afghan to my MIL.

She loved it.

Now the bad news. Couldn't find the digital camera until now. So I took a picture of it with my camera phone. The picture came out, but I'm having problems getting it to my 'puter. So as soon as I upload it, I'll share the final pictures.

Since someone RAOKed me with the booklet, I'm not selling it. I'm saving it...I'll make each of my daughters a Cathedral Window afghan as a wedding present when the time comes. (They are 18 and 19 right now...both with somewhat steady boyfriends. So it may be relatively soon).

Archived