Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

I haven't finished mine either (it's been on hold for about six months now). But I went with Paton's Canadiana through Lisa's Thread (http://yarn-and-threadbylisa.biz/Yarns/Patons%20Yarns/canadiana.htm). Still, with shipping, it cost about $100. But I noticed she's having a "free shipping" sale on orders over $50 or $5.99 for orders under that amount.

In retrospect, while I like Canadiana, I probably would go with a natural (i.e., wool) yarn instead. I'm not a big fan of acrylic yarn, especially for exotic projects such as this one. Yes, it would be twice as expensive but I think I'd be happier.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Alaina, just wait until you see those directions. Gather up your specs and a good cup of coffee.

Im excited and very unsure at the same time. I stress out about color choices, but this time its important because for the first time this will be for me.

Birdlady, what colors did you finally go with with the Canadiana.

I looked at the moda Dea Santa Fe and was considering something along the Berries line, but there seemed to be so very much RED! and although I want red, I felt that that , and the thickness of the yarn might e too much. Of course there is always the cost....

:hook

Oh Alaina, just wait until you see those directions. Gather up your specs and a good cup of coffee.

Im excited and very unsure at the same time. I stress out about color choices, but this time its important because for the first time this will be for me.

:hook

I'm already nervous! I got the newest Crochet Today which also has a Cathedral Afghan Pattern, much simpler, all single crochet, geared towards beginners. I think I might try my hand at that one first.

But I can't wait for the pattern to get to me. I got it from Ebay for just under $40...it was a BuyItNow, so I snapped it up quick! It was the lowest price I had seen for that pattern on Ebay for a few days, so I figured I'd better move fast! I see that someone just won one for $29, but I wasn't willing to wait for the auction to end, so I went with the BuyItNow.

Birdlady, what colors did you finally go with with the Canadiana.

I used Stainglass Variegated and Pastel Parade Variegated (along with the standard black and white). The website owner sent me samples of what I was considering and that helped make the final decision.

I was considering the Canadiana stained glass, and have been stressing over the other complimentary color.

The other alternative was a stunning red afghan made by wolfeyes76. I wish I knew exactly what those colors are.

Im going to go now and look up pastel parade.

Thank you

I was considering the Canadiana stained glass, and have been stressing over the other complimentary color.

That's exactly right. It's easy enough to pick out the dark variegated yarn. But finding the complementary yarn took me several weeks!

Life is funny, sometimes.

I have spent several weeks stressing out over what colors to use for this afghan. I stalked the local stores and I ordered samples on line. I have written to past members of this CAL for advice, and have been absolutely delighted when the help has been cheerily and generously offered.

Today I asked my husband to look through the sample pictures to see what he liked, and he gave them all a quick glance and grumped the he didnt care what I chose. He wanted nothing to do with the project.

He then accompanied me across the river to a Joanns and an AC Moore.

In AC Moore he began to walk through the isles and began to combine variegateds with solids. I showed him the picture again, and explained how the lights and darks were supposed to work together. He then started collecting combinations of colors, and proudly showed them to me. I made small piles there in the store of colors that went together, when he came to me with some earth tones. He told me how well they would go with the colors in the living room.

NOW, Im not a tremendous fan of Red Heart....and I know that I would never have chosen these colors on my own....

BUT he got so into the process that I decided that it really didnt matter what I wanted. If he liked the colors I would go with it. Im happy he chose for me and Im glad he is finally a little excited.

We ended up with Painted Desert and Aspen Print. He also chose a dark green rather than the black and a cream/soft tan for the white.

Life is Funny - sometimes

Life is funny, sometimes.

He then accompanied me across the river to a Joanns and an AC Moore.

We ended up with Painted Desert and Aspen Print. He also chose a dark green rather than the black and a cream/soft tan for the white.

Life is Funny - sometimes

Congrats! You had it easier than the rest of us. So was that the Hudson River??!!:lol

<chuckles>

Yes, the Hudson River. There arent any good yarn places near me any more. It seems that most places - now - only want to sell either the high end yarn/wool, or they all want to sell the novelty stuff. All have their place, but when the aveage middle of the road yarn is out of reach, it's hard.

I hate making color decisions, and Im thrilled its been done.

• 2 weeks later...

So....

Are any of you going to make this afghan in the near future?

Shall we revitalize this thread again?

I have the yarn and Im hoping to start over the Christmas Holiday week

DH picked the colorsth_CIMG3615.jpg

Hi Lisa,

What an angel you are this morning. Thanks so much. Ninty pages to dig through for this was just too much. Besides.. we now have a fresh start for those right behind me. ;)

Wow.. looking at all that.. it almost gives one pause....am I biting off more than I should ? sort of thoughts. but I'll do it anyway.

And to whoever brought this thread up..thanks for that too. I remembered it from long ago.. came back..and its right here !

Must be a good sign. :D

May all our endeavors here be this smooth.

-Pam L-

I'd love to join in maybe after the holidays. I don't have the pattern yet, but hope to soon.

I'm so glad you posted the link to what yarn is needed, that'll help me get started figuring out what colors to look for in the stores, thank you isserlie! :hug

I almost wish I could knit this...I have set of 60" circulars coming and I'm anxious to use them.

I actually did read through all of the posts on this site and on the alternate one. It was a quite an experience to read how all these folks worked on this together.

Im almost tempted to start a new folder for a new :ghuggroup of people who are planning on starting this brand new - and for those who are coming back to it.

We'll see.

I still have some other projects to work on before I can start this one, although the leaflet and the yarn are sitting there in a huge bag staring at me. Such a temptation...:devil

:hug yeah.. I'm not alone .

Day one.. got my yarn.

Emilyandthenewyarn.jpg

Emily refused to get up and give me space to do the photo for you..

That's a " I was here first" look if ever there was one. :rolleyes

Humm? My photo got all wonky during the shrinking process :think but at least it gives the general idea.

Here's my plan, the large pounders are a 'new to me', really nice rich shade of purple...looks like their dye lot has changed just a bit.. and I like it lots better than the past dk purple. RH black hurts my delicate fingers.. yarn burn:eek , besides being HARD to see clear stitch definition. I'm old and don't need glasses yet.. .BUT... let's not have this CAL cause the need ya know.

Safety first ladies and gents ! ;)

The RH Artist Print will be my main color, Med. Purple in place of the dark varigated..'cause it looks good...and Frosty Green in place of white.

No pattern yet... though I did not expect it today.. I kinda kept hoping and peeking out front. ;)

I've also joined the yahoo group to work through those archives, been studying the page you gave me, following blog links just in case..and have now begun the process of working through all these pages.

Will need to start a personal blog entry, gathering of info...do a Ravelry thing...

Boy ! More to this than just yarn !:2eek

oh.. and do a new siggie here...

-Pam L-

Well howdy Pam my stranger that usually sits at the little kids table with me LOL. how the heck have you been? I've been looking for you. Im starting this as well but not til the first of the year. I started it a while ago with gemstone and monet but didnt like how they went together so still not sure on colors yet. they say the new release of the pattern has more color choices so maybe I should order a new pattern just for that lol. Im glad to see you and hope you are well.

The cat adds something to the picture, and yes - that certainly is "I was here first" look. I like the colors you chose.

I dont have a blog. I would become too stressed out to keep one up, I think, so when I begin, I will simply post here and on the other CAL site.

Hi Andrea, I thought about those colors seriously but when DH decided to do the picking for me, I had the choices made for me.

I still have a baby blanket or 2 to finish first, but I do plan to start over the Christmas vacation. (elementary school nurse here)

Cant wait

I ordered my pattern today! :yay I was so excited they rereleased this! I've been wanting to make this for awhile now!

I'll have to decide on the colors now.

I like your colors Pam and the kitty sure does have that look on the face :lol very "how dare you" ish :lol

My mom just showed me this pattern in one of her catalogs today..... I already have the pattern, and she was "hinting" about how much she liked it. So I guess if I start it now I might have it ready for her birthday in May :D

Archived