Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Hi Darski - I'm not sure how much of the texture of the popcorns will show up, if you do them in black. Could you try a couple and see?

t.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have decided to go with the white. It is as if the gold colour leads up to the white; that the progession of light is moving into white...so to speak.

I was just afraid that the use of the white row to punch up the 'ghan at that point would be lost but I just got more punch with three rows - two gold and one white.

things have been quiet here so I thought I'd post where I'm at. Still on section 2...I've grown tired of struggling with the yarn and having to untangle it every round. So, I had DH gather some wood (poplar and oak) and I have managed to make a yarn holder. I just tried it out today and it still needs a little work, but I think it will be a big help and allow me to crochet unencumbered by the yarn delivery. I got the idea from Tbird and seeing hers. I will post som pics later tonight for those interested in seeing this. My DH is such a facillitator - I tell him I want to do something and he makes it possible!:manyheart

i finished Section 2 up to the section where you fasten off both the color and the black, and then you have to start *thinking* again to get ready to attach the large heptagons. during the week i needed to do something less brain-intensive (work, you know) so i started on the heptagons. i needed to do that anyhow cos i am debating on the color for them, so had to figure out if i needed More Yarn.

but man. i've never done a motif afghan. i've got 6 of the large heptagons done. i can't *imagine* getting through all 32 of the little ones. ARGH!

hopefully there will be some good movies on this weekend. or maybe i'll celebrate the 40th anniversary of star trek and watch a bunch of old DVDs...

t.

i finished Section 2 up to the section where you fasten off both the color and the black, and then you have to start *thinking* again to get ready to attach the large heptagons. during the week i needed to do something less brain-intensive (work, you know) so i started on the heptagons. i needed to do that anyhow cos i am debating on the color for them, so had to figure out if i needed More Yarn.

but man. i've never done a motif afghan. i've got 6 of the large heptagons done. i can't *imagine* getting through all 32 of the little ones. ARGH!

hopefully there will be some good movies on this weekend. or maybe i'll celebrate the 40th anniversary of star trek and watch a bunch of old DVDs...

t.

I'm so glad you're several rows ahead of me! In that way, sharing the agony will still be fresh:lol .

I am getting there but I am not quite sure what you do when you get to where the V starts forming to receive the Heptagons. Still undecided about what or how many colours for the heptagons. "Berries" is definitely in but then what?:think:yes:no:lol

I've finished 9 of the large heptagons, and pretty much decided two apparently contradictory things: I have to get more of the green variegated yarn that I'm using for the central octagon and all the heptagons, *and* I've acquired more yarn than I'm going to use on this creation.

This image of my grandmother's yard in spring is *so* vivid (in terms of deciding on my color scheme) that I feel powerless to do anything but follow it. And really, I'm going to have leftover teal yarn (my DH's favorite color) and several different varieties of leftover purple. I don't think I'll have any trouble finding things to do with them!

But I got *really* bored of the heptagons, so I decided to go back to the main piece for a while. So now I'm on Row 18, the pyramids. There is NO WAY I am going to finish off my yarn after every 21st stitch all the way around. Man would that be annoying. So I think I'm going to try to find a graceful way to sort of tack the yarns across the back side of the 4 stitches that get skipped.

And if anyone who's already done this bit (like from the first phase of the CAL) is still listening: can't I cut down on assembling pieces if I just work the half circles directly onto the top side of the heptagons?

Hope all's well with everyone. I am having a horrid combination of PMS and full-moon-induced wackiness in my pets *pbbbt*

hugs -- tbird

Scratch that brilliant idea. I tried a number of different ways to carry the yarn over the four stitches, and they all looked awful. Wish I had someone else I could con into doing all the end-weaving...

[Edited to add next brilliant idea] [yeah, don't I wish] Maybe I can work over the yarn ends from the *last* row when I'm working on that spot on the *next* row. Working over the strands doesn't seem to be making things too stiff or bulky...

Well, I'm still rows behind so I don't think I can offer any suggestions. Tbird, is it possible to just crochet over the ends to avoid having to weave them in? I already started my heptagons awhile ago and will have to make it a point to do the half moon circles and the other little 'gons for around the edge. So far, I'm amazed that this ghan isn't all that heavy but I know that will change as I get further out.

Well, on to cheering section part of this post! Keep up the good work all and keep on crocheting :hook:yarn . Remember, "The end justifies the means!" (of course, expressed here in a totally different context!)

Cheers, Happy Sunday, and big :ghug to all!

I have been hoping that I could use the slip stitch to form the V area for the heptagons. From you point of view, could that work?

I have to get my heptagons made because I am only a few rounds from needing them. I have a baby shower today that is going to be laid back. Perhaps I could make heptagons there.

BTW, Tbird, I am loving the imagery that is driving your creation.

I thought about slip-stitching over the four stitches between the end of the last pyramid, and the beginning of the next, but it looked kinda bulky. I'm going to be doing some sewing today, so may not get Round 18 finished, but I may skip ahead a bit and work enough of Round 19 to see if crocheting over the ends will work. I'll report back!

Thanks, Darski -- I wish I had a picture of my grandparents' yard when the crocuses and violets are blooming. It's even better in real life than it is in my head :-)

tbird

I know this is waaaaay late. I was reading all of your messages and couldn't wait to start on this afghan so I started watching for it on Ebay as suggested. I couldn't believe that they are running consistently around $50 for the book. I can't afford that. Does anyone have any suggestions as where to purchase this for far less? Oh, and, btw, I just now noticed how long ago this thread was started and I'm sorry but I've got the bug to make this - just thought I'd follow the CAL thread and see if I could muddle through it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is not too late, some of us - the second wave are really just beginning to get this made and we are using the information of those ahead and what we are learning as we go.

Welcome aboard. We have a backup Yahoo group where you can check on combos of yarn choices etc. It started as a backup during recent relocation woes here

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/flowers.php

There is also a database that tbird has started -

http://www.precision-guesswork.com/cathedral-cal.html

Turns out that there's "not enough" of Row 19 in the pyramids to cover up the ends from Row 18. So last night I just gave up and wove them all in. It wasn't *that* bad.

I stll have the ends of about 11 pyramids to go, and 4 or 5 large heptagons.

Hope all's well - tbird

Hi I saw this post and had to add my picture of my completed cathedral window ghan i made this afghan a few years ago and it was a bit of a challenge for me as i had only been crocheting for about a year or so before i tried it i have a picture in my epson album if you would like to see it thanks Dawn

http://tinyurl.com/5x69x

Dawn, That is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Do you recall the colors of the yarn you used? I haven't seen a color combo like yours, it is unique. IMHO, I don't think there is a wrong color combo for this ghan. It looks beautiful in all colorways!

Thanks again and outstanding job!:clap:yay :yay :clap

i used a base of black and white for the popcorn the lighter color varigated was called spring garden since been discontinued by red heart and the darker color was like a country club or something along that line i dont remember exactly the name of the darker one been a few years. I am entering this afghan into our local fair this month so hopefuly i will have a ribbon to bring home with it. thank you all for the compliments i am dying to try the pattern again in more vibrant colors like bikini or pinata but have yet to do so maybe some day.

I love bikini and am dying to use it in something! Perhaps we'll inspire you to join us on our journey with this ghan and you'll use Bikini (wishful thinking on my part). I'm already immersed in mine with Monet and Gemstones, and I'm trying to figure out what to add next. Sadly, Bikini won't work!

i think that sounds real pretty with monet and gemstones a teal or amythest or pale yello would go if you are trying to add another varigated im not sure what would blend with the to even a pale blue or lavendar would go i think. even a fushia may work just some ideas for ya

I'm still finishing up the large heptagons, and getting the piece ready to attach them all. But I'm having a diva fit. Up to this point, all the black segments have been either 2 or 5 stitches wide. But when you join the large heptagons, you end up with spots where the black ends up 7 (or more?) stitches wide. To my over-perfectionistic eye, it looks a little unbalanced.

I checked pictures of actual rose windows, just to be sure that the supports don't get wider as you go out from the center (for instance, to support the weight of the glass).

So I think I'm going to try sewing the heptagons onto the rest of it, and then "filling in" the columns with rows of 3 stitches, working right into the sides of the heptagons. I'll let folks know how that goes. I may not get to that point before the weekend.

t.

i dont remember what if any problems i had with the pattern i think the whole thing was a problem for me i was a new crocheter when i saw this pattern i had to have it and had to do it i didnt even know what a popcorn stitch was lol i barely knew double crochet it took me well over a year to make this ghan since doing peices was never my strong point still really isnt i get so frustrated when it comes to pieces i tend to not do them i dont mind making them i just dont want to put them together lol. but the ghan turned out nice i think and was well worth the blood sweat and tears put into it .

Archived