Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay:hook:yarn

I finally got the pattern. I also got my yarn (ebay acquisition) so I'll be off and running! Now I get to find out if I like my choice for the dark varigated at least.

Tbird, I hope the injection doesn't hurt, but if it does initially, I hope it helps after it eases. I don't have any wood hooks but do have the set of Clover comfort hooks and really like them so far.

Hopefully, I have some progress to report this weekend!

Cheers:yes :yes

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, my arthritis decided to get *really* bad this week, so last night I only did 2 more pentagons. I started number 7 tonight, but my actual *goal* is to get the pentagons done and the parts sewn together tomorrow night.

Fidgement, I sure hope your pattern arrives before the long Labor Day weekend!

I understand your pain. I have RA. What type of arthritis do you have?

i'm not part of this CAL, but I've been watching it closely enjoying all the wonderful projects you ladies are popping out. on this pattern, I keep saying...."one day...one day" :)

i too have RA. i'm off for a steroid injection, as i seem to have (stupidly) triggered a flare by cleaning out my room-with-my-sewing-and-yarn-and-stuff last weekend.

crochet helps with it, though -- doesn't stress my hands *too* badly and keeps them limber!

finished last pentagon, off for shot, more later.

Tbird, I checked out Jojo's online store at ebay. They have some really nice yarn. I also note that most is wool to boot. As if I haven't been spending enough money already, I forsee more spending there!:eek Oh well, I can't take it with me!

I am already rethinking my color choices :think so soon into this. I'll keep on thinking and maybe make another trip to the store tomorrow. Decisions, decisions, etc......

I'm definitely enjoying working with the yarn I got from Jojo. I'm just in the process of sewing my pentagons to the octagon. Pictures in a bit...nice of AMC to have "Enemy of the State" on to keep my brain occupied!

I am definitely doing the happy dance for modern medicine as well.

Bye for now!

Hi all -- I've got all my pentagons sewn to the octagon, and like rddugan in post #428, I decided to crochet the triangle shapes around the pentagons directly, rather than doing them independently and then sewing them on. Much easier.

I've also been thinking about ways to make it easier to keep accurate counts as I begin the rounds. Counting up to 168 (for the first round of the second section) sounds easy to mess up. *But* there are 8 segments around the round (for instance, from tip of pentagon to tip of next pentagon), and each segment has 21 stitches. I'm sure I can count to 21 even in the middle of the night with lots of meds :-)

If my hands get sufficiently better, I will try to write this stuff *all* down somewhere, but hopefully this will be useful for everyone who's working on this.

I am absolutely *thrilled* with the way the pieces look together. It's not often that the picture in my head ends up looking as much like the project once it gets started!

hugs, tbird

I'm on Section 2 round 10. Somehow, I added a couple of extra stitches in previous rows, so I've had to adjust the stitch count in Round 10 (doing three black stitches instead of two in one area and adding an extra stitch with the dark variegated yarn).

I refuse to frog it at this point, so somewhere in the next few rows, I'll do a decrease or two to get back to the correct stitch count.... Does anyone have any other ideas so I can get back on track? It really does appear to only be two extra stitches....sigh.

Hello Birdlady1 -- The seller from whom I got my lovely thread holder is jewlbal3. E-Bay item number 280012464314 is another cat holder that they have listed now, with starting bid of $20. I ended up paying $26 for mine plus shipping. Definitely worth it for this pattern, where there's so much color work going on!

Thanks, tbird, for the lead on the yarn holder. Call me cheap but I'm not ready to spend $27 for the feline yarn holder. Besides, my parrots would be very upset.

Thanks, too, for the lead on the ebay yarn seller -- gorgeous stuff! I've added her to my favorites and will look and drool at her yarn once in a while. But I can't buy any more yarn until I use at least half of the 1,000 skeins I have now!;)

Tbird, I'm still in section one and can't help you on this one , but

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if you say its not right, then somethings amiss!

Nope, I was being a blithering idiot - or at least, in too much of a hurry to read the directions closely. I was confused about what the "increase" meant. I thought I was adding the second stitch into the 2nd DC I'd already done, rather than doing two in (what is effectively) the 3rd DC.

Duh.

That's okay. I'm hoping that since I've frogged this bit three times now :-) that I will be less likely to frog so much later on!

You'll just have to squelch your never ending enthusiasm for this project. I hope Darski can hurry up and get on board here soon so that she can also benefit from your energy!

I do find myself reading these instructions more than once. I don't know why, but it seems easy to miss the slightest detail!

I'm on pentagon #3 and hope to get as close to all eight as I can tonight. Either way, I hope to post a picture tomorrow if I have the ability to do so!

Have a good night Tbird and slow your pace a little so I can catch up!

Finally I think I've got this right:

cathedral-of-trees-3.jpg

For some reason the flash is making my pentagons look a lot more washed out than they do in person. I'll have to try again without flash tomorrow.

And look on the "bright" side, if it actually is, Fidgement: I lost a lot of time today by having to do this first round 3 times. Now that I have convinced myself that I understand what I am doing, it will be easier to walk away from it for a while!

cheers -- tbird

Darski has begun.

I am using my Mexicana for some of this afghan and I decided to start this evening - and it is totally WoW!

I can begin on some more of the septagons for later on as well.

I have to get to a yarn shop to get the rest of what I need but I can begin some of the stuff. It is looking good. the trick is to get enough yarn at one time. Don't wanna be messing with this one.

I love this so far - that would be the hexagon that starts it all.:cheer:lol

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Darski,

Glad to hear it! Tbird's enthusiasm and energy is inspiring to me and I hope to you too! I was hoping to post a progress pic tonight, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

Tbird, don't slow your progress on my account! I'll get where I'm going when I get there! I actually have all the pentagons done and am working on the triangles. I thought about crocheting them in, but it seems easier to me to just crochet and then sew. I only have 4 more of the tri's and they go pretty quick, so who knows!

Happy Sunday & crocheting all!:hook :hook :yay :yay

I have finished Round 7 of the second section. I'm really happy with how it's going, although I can only imagine how long it's going to take. I need to find some more violets and blues.

I'm going to have a *brisk* short week of work, trying to make enough progress on my current project that I won't feel guilty over the long weekend. But I'm sure I'll get a little bit done.

How goes it, everyone?

cheers -- tbird

Just in case...

It was really scary today when Crochetville just disappeared and I was kicking myself that I didn't set up that Yahoo group for this CAL just in case.

It is now set up - if we need it. Membership is open and I may post it some other places - whadayah think?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cathedralwindowCAL/

I went yarn shopping today and my living room looks like a yarn shop exploded:c9 :clap

I am so loving this. I got just about every varigated I could find and I just need to see how to fit them (some, most, all) in.

I still need to buy a cable to be able to get my pics to my puter but that is on my list for this week. I'll show all the colours (I believe I have died and gone to yarn heaven) as soon as I can.

Have all my pentagons done and now just to be joined...

My colours to date are Mexicana for the hexagon and Dusk for the pentagons

My central hexagon seems too small for all the Pentagons - is this the usual? I did make them double thick for the 3D look. (also did tbl for all stitches but not spaces)

I would love to join the CAL, but as some of you, I'm not lucky enough to have the pattern. What I have seen so far on your posted pictures are great. All the yarn, I wonder how much it takes.

Leta

here are some basic notes about the materials:

Cathedral Window notes

Use a hook in the 4mm to 5mm range - don't know the American

numbers/letters.

Yarn needed

Worsted Yarn: (originally made with Red Heart)

33oz light varigated

11oz dark varigated

38oz black

3oz white

You could get some yarn together or give yarn selection some consideration while searching for the pattern.

Okay, being an avid embroiderer, I thought I could use tapestry needles to sew my blocks together. Wrong :think! I went down to a size 16 and managed, but it was way too hard. I remebered reading somewhere that the Clover chibi's with the bent needles were the best. I went and bought them with a 40% of coupon at Joann's and I've got to say, I'm a happy sewing :sew camper now :yes ! Lesson learned here. Also, sewing the black is really hard on the eyes :candle so use good lighting or do so during daylight hours!

So, maybe tomorrow I'll finally get a progress pic posted. In the interim, I've been getting my :hook:yarn crochet fix by starting on the large hepatgons. I figure since there is 16 of those puppies, it doesn't hurt to get a head start. Darski, I am not using 2 strands since I don't want the puffy, 3D effect. Tbird - how is it going??? I hope I'll have a sort of short week, but who knows!

Till next time, cheers!!!

Thank you Tbird - I knew I loved that car...sorry-senior moment there.

There is some good info in all of these pages and we will need it. I need to PM you about some stuff I found useful but don't know what to do with it.

I am really liking the effect of my single crochet joining for this. It (in my little pea brain) really adds to the "woody/3D" effect.

I agree about working with the black in dim lighting. Whoa Nellie, not doing that again if I can help it. : :)

Archived