Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh...I can get one for $30 hopefully...but crap...I'm trying to justify spending that amoung of $ on a pattern booklet....that sure would buy a lot of yarn for some other project or loads of other patterns....ugh...tough decision.

Amy

AND...I'm not certain I could actually make the Cathedral Window turn out nicely....:think

Someone help me be strong not to spend so much money on this. lol

Amy

Amy, I would love to be able to help you be strong about not spending the money ..... but I couldn't resist myself and spent $60 a couple of days ago on the yarn for this project :devil I can't wait for it to be delivered so that I can get started on the pattern.

VERY WEAK!! VERY WEAK...I was today.:ohdear

Got my pattern booklet on ebay. I won with a bid of $36.77...gosh no one better tell my dh...he'll really think I've lost it.:eek

Guess I better join this CAL...at least add it to my list now...since I got stupid and bought the book. See ya'll once I get moved and start on getting my CAL started. :hook

Amy

:cheer Amy - glad you've decided to join us. While $37 is expensive for a book of patterns - it's cheaper than what I've seen this book go for in the past. Don't worry we won't tell your DH :D

Still waiting on my yarn to be delivered, but I have been making some swatches to check my gauge. It's not something that I normally do, but I think it will be important for this project, so I want to get it right.

Well, I figure, I can make the projects from the booklet that I like, then re-sell the booklet. Hopefully it will be before they decide to do a re-print on it. Maybe I can make back the $ I paid for it. lol

Amy

I'm new to c'ville but have been lurking ever since I got a copy of the cathedral rose window pattern (!) I've read ever single post to get some ideas on yarn for this incredible project. Call me a snob but I can't bring myself to use Red Heart. I'm looking at Paton's Decor and some of the Plymouth yarns that are multicolored in blues/purples. Can we reopen this thread by talking about yarns and colors people have used? Please? I'm going out of my mind trying to find something reasonably priced, yet of reasonable quality. At a local yarn store, I found the "ideal" yarn but it was over $50 a skein. Yikes. I'd love to hear from everyone -- publically and/or privately. Thanks!

I believe I read someone's post that they spent $75 getting the yarn for this project. Can't remember if they said what it was or not, and am too lazy to go back and read the posts to find it...sorry.

Sorry no help...but I'm interested to see the replies as to who is using what yarns, as well.

Amy

Hello to all, I have read the thread from start to finish ...only to realize that what I thought was the latest entry, was actually over a year ago. It made for some interesting reading to say the least. I had this pattern and started it over 2 years ago. Unfortunately when I became disabled, my family moved me in with my boyfriend and now I can't find the pattern anywhere. I can find the project with everything, but the pattern. I have searched hi and low, my boyfriend's even joined in the hunt for the elusive pattern. I originally started this for my son, and would love to finish it before time expires. I have looked at ebay, sorry I'm not paying the 50-60 for the book. I'd be forever grateful if someone can point me in the right direction. We live in a very rural area and it's not feasible for me to travel to hunt down the local thrift stores, tho my bf did try already. Mine is being done in multi-purple tones and black. So, any ideas drop me a line here or email me please cammy4@hotmail.com Thank you for letting a newbie post in this wonderful thread.

I know some of you say spending the $ to get the pattern is not possible...but just think this way...get the book off ebay...make/finish the project, then relist the book on ebay and I"m sure you will be able to make back most, if not all, of your investment in the book.

This is the only legal way I could think of getting my hands on the pattern. lol

That's my plan. Make the projects I like, then sell the book, since I"m sure I wouldn't make more than one of these afghans.

HTH

Amy

LOL

Wow, I now see that this was originally started 13 months ago!! Talk about the CAL that just won't die!

Anyway...does anyone that has finished theirs care to post photos, for those of us newbies to the CAL?

Thanks,

Amy

LOL

Wow, I now see that this was originally started 13 months ago!! Talk about the CAL that just won't die!

Anyway...does anyone that has finished theirs care to post photos, for those of us newbies to the CAL?

Thanks,

Amy

Actually, Drew has one that he finished a few years ago. Not sure of his webpage, but look in this thread for thecrochetdude. I think you can go to his webpage from there.

Marie

I know some of you say spending the $ to get the pattern is not possible...but just think this way...get the book off ebay...make/finish the project, then relist the book on ebay and I"m sure you will be able to make back most, if not all, of your investment in the book.

This is the only legal way I could think of getting my hands on the pattern. lol

That's my plan. Make the projects I like, then sell the book, since I"m sure I wouldn't make more than one of these afghans.

HTH

Amy

Well, it would be a great investment sure.......but if you don't have that kind of money to spare for say, 2-3 months of making just the cathedral, it wouldn't help. I think it's a great idea, to make and then sell the book, but for however long you have the book, the craze for the cathedral just might be over then. <shrug> Who knows? I doubt it would, because this is a sensational pattern. I was able to pull up the original Cathedral Window that it was patterned after...........OMG, it's breathtaking and the lady that wrote the pattern we're all searching for, it was her very first pattern.

Marie

Yeah, I saw Drews....just think it would be fun to see others, too. It's so gorgeous!

I can't wait to get settled in our new house and started on mine.

Amy

According to the UPS tracking on my pacakge from Herrschner's, my yarn should be delivered today and waiting for me when I get home :yay I can't wait to get started on this and am excited to see that actual colors up close since I ordered the yarn online and couldn't really get a good look at them.

for some reason my photobucket pics got deleted. So as requested here are the photos of the done project. I really love the finished afgan. It was really not to hard either, just a bit of a pain at times.

th_finishedblanket005.jpg images are clickable thumbnails

th_finishedblanket004.jpg

Hi Amy!

I had read through the entire thread and I collected the links of some of the finished ghans and saved them in my bookmarks. Here's what I have:

Woven N Spun's partial ghan (her's is a shawl not a ghan)

crochetdiva's links

crochetdiva's ghan (I think it's the finished product in this pic.)

Cheryl's blog entry (not sure of her c'vill name)

Jenny's partial ghan

Another one (not sure who's it is)

Another one (also unsure who's it is)

The Crochet Dude's ghan

dixieredhead's ghan

and of course...

kelly just posted her magnificant :) ghan here

I'm not sure what I missed between dixieredhead and kellyv though. I'm not sure if those partials were ever completed either. I collected these links because I was trying to figure out what colors I wanted to use. I still can't decide so I put this project on hold till I have time to research the kind of yarn I want to use that won't cost me so much.

Gina - thank you for taking the time to post all of the picture links for us! It really helps to see the different color combinations used. :hug

Well, I am a little disappointed. My yarn for this was delivered yesterday and so I started last night. However, I don't think the RH Wedgewood that I ordered is going to work for the light variegated. This is what the designer recommended in her message to Drew a few months ago and she said to purchase the Classic size rather than the SuperSaver because the colors are different. When I looked at the color card online, it showed some blues and reds in the variegation, but the skeins I have don't have any blue in them. They are just white, cream, red and green. I love, love, love the Patons Stained Glass though. :manyheart However, the two colors don't look good together. I think if there was some blue added into the Wedgewood it would work.

So this afternoon, I'm going to go to Ben Franklins and check out the RH SuperSaver Wedgewood. I saw that they had some last week, and think I remember it having some blue in it. I'm going to bring along one of the finished pentagons that I made last night with the Stained Glass to compare. Hopefully it will look good, or I'll have to keep searching for a matching light variegated.

Now, the only question is what to do with the 33 oz. of RH Classic Wedgewood I have - it looks quite Christmasy, so maybe I'll make a Christmas afghan out of it:think

Archived