Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

I've been tbird on line since I first *got* online, in 1987. My name is Tina Bird, so it's quite a good nickname for me :-)

PM me if you've got suggestions, info or other links I should add to the CAL web page!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the email last night said all I had to add to information but I did notice that on page 41 of this thread there is a summary of the photos to that point. If it is helpful...

TBird -- You are awesome! :cheer:clap The website you put together is great. I haven't had a chance to look through all of it yet, but I will later today.

I'm almost finished with the pyramids in Section 2 and getting ready to start on the columns. I'll let you know if I can think of anything else that can be added to the website.

Yeah, last night I was just too worn out to put *all* the other photos onto the page :-)

I woke up this morning with the irresistable desire to redo Rounds 2-8 of Section 2, because it was somehow starting to rotate slightly, and because I wanted to use an F hook from the beginning to control rippling. That nagging belief that I can do *better* is a real killer on this one.

Tbird, Your webpage is awsome! I noted some of the corrections you mentioned and I am sure glad you posted those. I am attaching my pentagons and triangles, and my work isn't lying flat while in progress. I have only used a single strand of ww yarn and an H hook throughout. I am assuming that while sewing, its kinda natural for everything to curl, but I'll make my mind up for sure once section 1 is entirely complete and I've started to crochet around it. Cheers!

My progress so far:

frogs_17622_md.gif

I am not having a good time with either the triangles or doing it without the triangles.aaaarrrrgggghhh.

I'll be fine, no really, um....er....ahhh.. right! TTYL

I would love to join this CAL, but the problem is I can't get the pattern. I know that this is a recurring problem for just about everyone, and in a few earlier posts it was suggested to get it from eBay. Unfortunately, I don't shop on eBay, and don't see myself beginning to now. Call it a trust issue, but there it is. If anyone, anywhere can help me, I would love them forever!

Tanya

Darski, give me time to get fully caffeinated (the joys of a Friday off work), and I'll write up directions for how I crocheted the triangles. It wasn't tough once I figured it out, but figuring it out wasn't obvious.

And it will give me a few more minutes before those popcorns suck my brains out.

BTW that image is *priceless*.

Fidgement, even my central octagon is a bit puffy looking relative to the circular rows. I love how that looks, but it isn't perfectly flat...just so you know when it's all sewn together. I thought it was ... odd ... bad odd ... till I got a few rounds in place. Now I think it's genius odd :-)

tbird

firstly a moment for our sponsor...

Yeah!!!!! We're Back up and running!!!!!!

Now then, I got the triangles done by the 'crocheting around' method. That looks good and generally makes the stitch count right.

For the next section, I am doing them as sew in (sc actually) pieces. I have the black bars built up to the 7 rows and I have made my shapes in two shades of a varigated varn. the common thread to the varigateds is green and the alters are red/burgundy and purple. I am going to sc these in sets of two around and it looks good sitting on the floor.

Thanks for thinking of me though. this method will allow my stitch count to be correct going into the next section.

Here's how I crocheted the triangles. The "meat" of the triangles occurs in the second row, as it's written in the pattern: "sl st in first 3 ch, sc in next 2 ch, hdc in next 2 ch, dc in next 4 ch, hdc in next 2 ch, sc in next 2 ch, sl st in last 3 ch." This is the row that gets stitched to the outer edge of the pentagons. Once I had my pentagons sewn on, I attached my black yarn so that I could start following the pattern directions at the tip of the pentagon. Then the pattern instructions become:

Starting at the tip of one of the pentagons, sl st in first three stitches of edging; sc in next 2 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; dc in next 4 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; sc in next 2 stitches; 3 sl st to get to next pentagon tip. Repeat 7 times, join back with sl st in original tip of pentagon.

To verify that you're doing it right, you should have made the first 2 double crochets "in front of" the join between the two pentagons, and the second 2 double crochets after the join.

Once you've finished this round, do another round of single crochet all the way around. This is the equivalent of the *first* row of the triangles as written in the original pattern. You should have 18 single crochets in every "segment" between the tip of one pentagon and the next.

Does this make sense?

The popcorn stitches aren't fast, but I really like the way they look:

cathedral-of-trees-4.jpg

And here's a different angle to try to show the colors more accurately:

cathedral-of-trees-5.jpg

It needs more purple! I think the next pieces are going to be lilac and green...

cheers - tbird

:clap:cheer:yay:yes

Great job Tbird!!! It looks wonderful and I can't wait to see it grow and the additional colors you'll be adding. I don't think I've seen one yet where someone used a variety of colors, so this will be very interesting. I think all three of us are planning on using several colors, so who knows!

I see what you mean about the puffiness, and now I think I'm just going to proceed with mine, even though the pentagons are bigger. I crocheted one with a G hook. just to see the difference, and there really wasn't a significant difference in size. I was actually going to crochet the whole thing over since unsewing would be futile, but now, I'm just going to keep going, although I think my pentagons will be a lot puffier. Well see.

Again, it really looks beautiful, thanks for sharing!

:D

I just finished row 12 of section 2 and opted to use plain DC instead of the popcorn stitch. However, as I start doing row 14, I understand why popcorn might be better. It just would stand out more because it's a single row of white yarn (or whatever is chosen by the crocheter) and won't fade into the design.

However, I still prefer everything to lie flat so I'm not going to frog it. I suppose, I could always crochet over the existing DC row if I change my mind.

Any thoughts?

I would consider going back while you are still nearby. If you don't want to do popcorns you might like the puff stitch as it is faster and you could make small almost flat puffs. I just did up a quick test and it does look nice. If you don't know Puff stitch....

Slight puff stitch

Yoh, insert hook and draw up a loop(abouti/2 in),Yo, draw up a loop, Yo and draw through all loops on hook, ch 1

I just finished row 12 of section 2 and opted to use plain DC instead of the popcorn stitch. However, as I start doing row 14, I understand why popcorn might be better. It just would stand out more because it's a single row of white yarn (or whatever is chosen by the crocheter) and won't fade into the design.

However, I still prefer everything to lie flat so I'm not going to frog it. I suppose, I could always crochet over the existing DC row if I change my mind.

Any thoughts?

If you wanted to bring more emphasis to that row without undoing it, you could try weaving a heavier yarn or even some ribbon through it. I've never tried that (at least not yet) but I love the way it looks in the pictures I've seen...

A lot of us have to find the pattern, Butterfly04. But right now, this is apparently the Holy Grail of patterns. It's out of print, and right now the book containing the pattern is selling on Ebay for nearly $50.

Hopefully the rumors are right and Annie's Attic will reprint the booklet next year.

I would consider going back while you are still nearby. If you don't want to do popcorns you might like the puff stitch as it is faster and you could make small almost flat puffs. I just did up a quick test and it does look nice. If you don't know Puff stitch....

Slight puff stitch

Yoh, insert hook and draw up a loop(abouti/2 in),Yo, draw up a loop, Yo and draw through all loops on hook, ch 1

Darski, thanks. Because of your advice, I bit the bullet and frogged all the way back to where the white row of section two (row 12 I believe) begins. Then I walked away so I wouldn't start crying. I may not redo it with popcorn or puff but with something else.... haven't decided what, but will look through my books.

Place your bets now -- will I end up doing the popcorn stitch anyway? (I suspect so!)

I do believe that you will be happier with some interesting bit in this row. i saw the picture of the plain white and it seemed rather meaningless. You need an occasional bit of oomph even on something as vital as this 'ghan is.

I am really enjoying my bits of dimention.

I am with you in your tears but you will be happier when it gets whatever you choose.

Whoo hoo! Go Fidgement. It looks grand. I love your colors, especially the light variegated...it's soft and looks almost foggy. As if the light through the stained glass is coming on a slightly cloudy day :-)

Archived