Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

You know, as we all grow older we leave behind the world of fantasy, fairytale and in general the belief of Easter Bunnies, Tooth Fairy, Santa and such as that.....BUT, no matter how oldddddd I am, I'll forever believe in the crochet fairy with great zest too!!!!!!! For with the crochet fairy, I now have the Cathedral pattern to finish my son's from a few years ago. I will always treasure the fairies, angels, elves and all of the others...they are true!!! Anyway, on another note I finally have pictures of my angels and booties that I'm selling. If anyone wants to see them, please go to:

http://www.gifts-software-n-more.com/

Click on my link Marie's and let me know what you think. It includes a link that you can email me with, just remember to put angels, booties or even crochet in the subject, so I can fish it out of the junk file.

I'm sorry if this isn't the appropiate spot for a web address, am still learning the ins and outs of the forum.

Thank, Marie

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok...here's the first public viewing of my project.

Dscn1300.jpg

I am just now starting the first round of popcorns. Since this is going to be a shawl I omitted the center hexagon and I think I am going to do the small heptagon along the sides so it will border the whole thing. Does that make sense? It's weird working the pattern in rows instead of rounds. I have to be careful which is the right side and stuff...but all in all..so far I am more then pleased.

I love your shawl ! ~~~

beautiful ! love the different sheades of blues~~

Ok, so I was wrong :blush -- I did find the RH SuperSaver Wedgewood at Ben Franklin last night, and it does have blue in it. But when I brought it home and made the center octagon with it and compared with the Stained Glass pentagons that I had made, the original RH Classic Wedgewoods that I had ordered does look much better. The SuperSaver looks too soft and has more of a "country" feel, while the Classic size is fancier and almost has a sheen to the reds and greens which makes it look like light is shining through. So, I have decided to stick with the Classic size as the designer recommended. Who did I think I was anyways and that I would know better than her? :lol

Anyways, last night I was able to finish crocheting the first section and almost finished sewing all the pieces together. I am so excited about this project. :yay

I'll try and borrow a digital camera from my mom or sister to post some pics later this weekend.

I haven't been searching as long as some fellow crocheters but it's been frustrating, but finally rewarding! I tested all sorts of yarns, including those suggested by the designer of the pattern. But, sorry, Red Heart yarns are not for me -- especially when making an afghan as regal and breathtaking as this one!

I'm going with Paton's Canadiana in Stained Glass for the dark variegated and Pampered Pastels for the light variegated. I looked at Crazy Shades as an option instead of Stained Glass but there was too much pink for my taste. I also liked Pastel Parade but, again, there was too much pink for my taste.

The two I selected have a common blue color in their variegation, which I think will make the afghan flow beautifully.

I hope so anyway!:woo

I ordered from Yarn & Thread by Lisa (yarn-and-threadbylisa.com). While she ended by being a dollar or two more expensive overall than the Knitting Warehouse, Lisa worked with me extensively from the start, and even sent small samples to test.

Since I'm in neighboring Colorado, I hope to have the yarn by the weekend as I'm chomping at the bit to get started!

In the meantime, I'm going to hop onto the pirate testing pattern that was emailed to me yesterday!

:cheer BirdLady - That's great that you finally found your yarn choices. I am also using the Stained Glass for my dark variegated and am loving it so far. So far I have the first section and 9 rounds of the second section completed. I am really enjoying the pattern, and so far haven't run into any difficulty.

Can't wait to see pictures once you get started of how the colors you chose work together.

Reprinting of the pattern was already discussed several pages back in this thread. If I recall correctly, Annie's Attic will reprint or republish the book with Cathedral Rose in it in 2007. Let's hope this is true.

I haven't been searching as long as some fellow crocheters but it's been frustrating, but finally rewarding! I tested all sorts of yarns, including those suggested by the designer of the pattern. But, sorry, Red Heart yarns are not for me -- especially when making an afghan as regal and breathtaking as this one!

I'm going with Paton's Canadiana in Stained Glass for the dark variegated and Pampered Pastels for the light variegated. I looked at Crazy Shades as an option instead of Stained Glass but there was too much pink for my taste. I also liked Pastel Parade but, again, there was too much pink for my taste.

The two I selected have a common blue color in their variegation, which I think will make the afghan flow beautifully.

I hope so anyway!:woo

I ordered from Yarn & Thread by Lisa (yarn-and-threadbylisa.com). While she ended by being a dollar or two more expensive overall than the Knitting Warehouse, Lisa worked with me extensively from the start, and even sent small samples to test.

Since I'm in neighboring Colorado, I hope to have the yarn by the weekend as I'm chomping at the bit to get started!

In the meantime, I'm going to hop onto the pirate testing pattern that was emailed to me yesterday!

I'm looking forward to see your work. I can't recommend Yarn-and-threadbylisa highly enough. She really is wonderful to work with. I wish she carried the TLC Essentials I'm wanting right now..

Reprinting of the pattern was already discussed several pages back in this thread. If I recall correctly, Annie's Attic will reprint or republish the book with Cathedral Rose in it in 2007. Let's hope this is true.

thanks for telling me :hook i figured it might have been thought of before but im too lazy to read 56 pages

thanks for telling me :hook i figured it might have been thought of before but im too lazy to read 56 pages

You really should (eventually) peruse this entire thread if you're thinking about creating this afghan. Problems with the directions, recommended yarn, etc. are all part of the thread and most of it is quite interesting!

hi all - i'm relatively new around here, and now i'm thinking i should never check this board ;-) it's dangerous!

in addition to crocheting, i am a passionate lover of old churches -- i'm very slowly writing a book about one in england -- so when i see this pattern of *course* i have to purchase it. darn over-priced sellers.

i will be so happy to have it -- i am *totally* doing a lace weight shawl -- that i'll keep it...but if anyone wants to join in the "purchase circle" thing described in one of the other threads, i will be happy to do that.

if you're interested, please drop me a note off-board. i'll reply here when the patterns arrive.

sheesh. you folks are a bad influence. hurray!

what do ya all think of trying to get annies attic to re-print the pattern?

if enough of us leave feedback asking for it they might do it

http://www.anniesattic.com/general_info/help/feedback.html

Actually, I truly hate to burst any bubbles or positive thinking, but according to the email I received just last week in regards to the Cathedral reprint, they said there are no thoughts of reprinting at this time or even in the near future. Your best bet is to have the crochet fairy or angel visit with you.

Marie

Actually, I truly hate to burst any bubbles or positive thinking, but according to the email I received just last week in regards to the Cathedral reprint, they said there are no thoughts of reprinting at this time or even in the near future. Your best bet is to have the crochet fairy or angel visit with you.

Marie

if they dont reprint it they are truely stupid

theres so much demand for it they'd make a killing! *shakes head* silly people

i wonder what made them change their mind from the other email to now

Below is the email they sent me on July 23rd, 2006. You're right, they would make a killing on it.......however, they might have had a contract with Julene, the lady that designed it, for only so long.

Dear Marie,

I apologize that we no longer carry the pattern you requested. It is

discontinued and no longer available. You might check out the patterns on

our Web site at http://www.FreePatterns.com. We also offer a variety of discounted

patterns on http://www.e-PatternsCentral.com. Please feel free to contact us if you

have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Melinda

Customer Service

1-800-282-6643

http://www.anniesattic.com

It seems that Annie's doesn't know which way is up.. because I know someone who got a letter from them last November.. that said they would be republishing it.. but that it would take at least a year.

So that would make the republish date at least this fall.. if not longer.

It's at this post.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=267126&postcount=365

I can go back to the MenWhoCrochet group and ask about it again if anyone wants me to do so.

And to the person who asked what colors I used / am using... I can't get to it right now to look up the color names, but it's all TLC Essentials. Yarndex.com has colorcards and so does knitting-warehouse.com

Off to get ready for some out of the house errands....

in addition to crocheting, i am a passionate lover of old churches -- i'm very slowly writing a book about one in england -- so when i see this pattern of *course* i have to purchase it. darn over-priced sellers.

It's not the sellers who are over-priced it's the people doing the bidding! Simple case of supply and demand.:yes

Below is the email they sent me on July 23rd, 2006. You're right, they would make a killing on it.......however, they might have had a contract with Julene, the lady that designed it, for only so long.

Dear Marie,

our Web site at www.FreePatterns.com. We also offer a variety of discounted

patterns on www.e-PatternsCentral.com. Please feel free to contact us if you

Sincerely,

Melinda

Customer Service

1-800-282-6643

www.anniesattic.com

Honestly, that sounds like a canned response to any and all inquiries they get about out-of-print patterns.

Dear Marie,

our Web site at www.FreePatterns.com. We also offer a variety of discounted

patterns on www.e-PatternsCentral.com. Please feel free to contact us if you

Sincerely,

Melinda

Customer Service

1-800-282-6643

www.anniesattic.com

I wouldn't interpret this as "no plans to reprint." Right now, the pattern is discontinued and not available and that's what this message is saying. That's all this message is saying. That's not to say the pattern won't be available by the end of the year or early next year as indicated in earlier messages on this thread. Not every employee at Annie's Attic is aware of future printing plans. So I wouldn't get up in arms about Melinda's canned message. She just may be at the bottom of the food chain.

My veterinarian told me once, when I was complaining about another vet's lack of skills (a looong story there) that of a class of 100, someone has to be number 100. That could be Melinda....

So let's relax, keep our ears to the ground and be patient. Another option would be to contact the pattern's designer directly....(I understand that some people did this in the past and she sent them copies....)

(Easy for me to say, I know, since I have a copy of the pattern......):devil

Wow! That is a beautiful pattern...it looks like it is based on the famous Rose Window from Notre Dame Cathedral in France

.rosewndw_notrdm.par.int.lg.jpg....I do not have the pattern, but I am looking forward to seeing what everyone here comes up with! Bon Courage!

Thanks, for sharing that. I enjoy looking looking at everything. beautiful windows!

I would assume that asking for a shopping list isn't violating copyright. Here's what's listed on my pattern:

Worsted Yarn:

33oz light varigated

11oz dark varigated

38oz black

3oz white

which for those of us who are considering other yarns, means something like:

assuming red heart super saver for a guess at yards per ounce, i get 53 yards per ounce...which makes the length of yarn required for the project:

1,749 yards of light varigated

583 yards dark varigated

2,014 yards black

160 yards white

for us crazy folks who want to go blind using laceweight, things get a little more tricky cos it's generally sold in grams, not ounces. 50 grams (.035 ounces per gram) is 1.75 ounces, and is approximately 500 yards, so 10 yards per gram or 285 yards per ounce...so for lace weight:

175 grams (a bit over 6 ounces) light variegated

60 grams (a bit over 2 ounces) dark variegated

200 grams (a bit over 7 ounces) black

16 grams (half an ounce or so) white

your mileage may vary; hope this helps others who are in the planning process. and if i've screwed this up, someone please let me know!

cheers - tbird

I can go back to the MenWhoCrochet group and ask about it again if anyone wants me to do so.

id appreciate it, thanks

earlier in this thread someone mentioned doing a rainbow version of this, the idea interested me (and i have too much time on my hands) so i used crochetdudes picture (hope ya dont mind) and microsoft paint... heres what i came up with

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/michelle_e/crafts/rainbowblanket.jpg

its a bit messy but it gets the idea across... i imagined the rest done in black, rather than verigated in those loop thingys

i like the basic idea of it but its not really my style... if i ever get the pattern i plan to do blues and purples

Marie

This is a copy of the e-mail that I got yesterday regarding the leaflet that the pattern was in. It looks like there may be hope yet!!!!!!

Thanks for your inquiry regarding the Award-Winning Afghans pattern. I've passed your comments on to our merchandising staff, and they have promised to look into reprinting the pattern--perhaps for early 2007.

Thanks for your interest!

Sincerely,

Kim Skelton

Customer Relations Manager

Who knows? Maybe we're asking enough questions about it that we're convincing them it's worth their while to reprint it!

Archived