Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

i also wrote them and just got a reply...

my message-

craft: crochet

comments: would you consider re-printing

Award-Winning Afghans, leaflet #878301

the cathedral window afghan is insanely popular, im sure tons of people

would buy it (i know i would)

for example heres 2 huge threads about it

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9081

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=29817.0

the reply-

Thank you for all your support!

Annie

:think

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm making some good progress on my Cathedral Window. I'm actually kind of surprised at how fast it is going. My only complaint is with the two strands of yarn getting wrapped around each other when I'm doing the rounds with the variegated and black switching back and forth. But I'd rather unwrap the two strands at the end of each round than sew in all the ends from ending off after each section :yes

I'm planning to go shopping for some things tomorrow and will probably go ahead and buy a digital camera even though I've been putting it off, I really do need one. So I should be able to post some pictures soon.

I have had this pattern for a while and am considering starting it to work on during the fall and winter months. But I hate working with 2 strands held together. Is there any reason I can't just work with 1 strand, or is there some effect that I am not visualizing? Thanks!!

Monael -- there isn't that much of the pattern that has 2 strands worked together. The pentagons made in the first section with the dark variegated kind of give a 3-D appearance when they're worked with the 2 strands. Other than that, you are only crocheting with one strand, while carrying the other along to use in the next set of stitches for that color.

The pattern really is beautiful and I highly recommend it. What colors are you planning to use?

I started this after finally selecting my yarn (which took several weeks!) I went with Paton Canadiana, using the Stained Glass and Pampered Pastels variegated yarns. (One of the colors is in both yarns, so I liked that continuity.)

I just completed the first section and blocked it overnight. I was worried about the puffiness of the pentagons, like so many people are. So I read this entire thread and decided to go with one strand of yarn, rather than the instructions that say to use two. There were also several suggestions on altering the pentagons a bit so they would lay flat. After blocking, I got the desired results, so I won't feel discouraged about going forward with the second section. Whew.

This is my first afghan attempt and I hope I won't be discouraged by this one, because I've collected so many incredible patterns!

How's everyone else doing with this afghan?

I Really, Really, Really want to do this afghan. Could someone please help me locate a pattern and I am hoping to use several colours rather than just a couple for the heptagons etc. I may use the black as usual but I have been tempted to try a dark brown - whadayh think?

I was thinking of working generally but not literally from the Colour wheel jpeg that was posted. I am going to be planning this for a while and I want to get some other stuff out of the way as well. As others have said = this time and the 'ghan would be for me - something unusual in my crafting.

I have to say that I have been amazed at the completed ghans I have seen here. Just saying some of the names of the yarn colours makes my heart sing. What do I do to get started - aside from dreaming of colour wheels dancing in my head?

sacred5222@yahoo.ca

Darski, the bad news is the Cathedral Rose Window pattern is currently out of print. :( The good news is that Annie's Attic might republish this pattern in 2007. :) However, you can check Ebay on a regular basis. Quite often the pattern book becomes available, but because it's such a popular book there's usually a steep price to pay. :eek Good luck in your search! :)

I have been doing a google images search of stained glass rose windows. I am tempted to try my hand at a different (but equal) pattern on my own. If I can make something happen, will let you know.

Gee, does this mean that I have to spend hours in Yarn Aisles looking at yarn - life is tough eh?

Thanks to a dear friend who never throws anything away, I have a copy of this pattern and I am dreaming of yarn colours day and night. I have read every post in this thread and now I know the challenge of find the right yarn. I may have to wait a bit for my yarn supplier to get resettled in September but in the meantime I am looking at all the yarn samples I can locate on the net just to get an idea of what colours could work. I know what all of you went through trying to find "The Right" colours.

I can't wait - even the planning is fun!

Hi Darski,

Good for you! Your search ended quickly. Mine doesn't appear that it will end quickly and I'll continue to look, but it doesn't look promising. Hopefully Annies Attic will reprint the pattern or I'll come up with something. In reading the posts, the Crochet Dude posted a response from the original designer where she indicates the yarn that she used on the original. Heck, if she were smart and could do so legally, she should reprint the pattern on her own, but Annies Attic may have purchased the copyrights to it. Although the original owners of Annies Attic sold out to DRG around 97, I think. So any agreement may no longer be in effect. I wonder if she has thought of that.

Anyway, enjoy the search for yarn. Please post progress pics as you go along.

Happy Crocheting! Ellena

I will have the pattern sometime next week as I located it and its being mailed. :yay How many others are still working on this? Is anyone interested in posting a new list?

I'm looking forward to the challenge and after looking at the original photo of the inpiration for this afghan, I'm rethinking the original color choices posted via Drew and the entry on his blog. I see the colors a little differently, but then I'm sure we all do. Anyway, so much to think about...

I will be starting it at some point here in the next month or so. I am still waiting for all my yarn to arrive. I'm doing it in fingering weight yarn, in a set of colors I've mentally titled "Cathedral of Trees," replacing the black in the original pattern with dark brown (like tree trunks), and then mostly greens and blues for the variegated colors. Instead of white, I'm hoping for goldy-greeny, like the sunlight coming through the leaves in spring.

I liked the idea of making a big circular wrap, so that's what I'm going to try. I've got a couple of smaller Tunisian projects percolating in my brain; I'll work on them when I need a break from the Magnum Opus.

I'll post a picture of my yarns when they've all arrived. Go E-Bay.

cheers -- tbird

I have been encouraging some people to join us for this CAL. I hope we can get a few toghether for it. we have so much valuable information from those who have gone before.

Still seeing yarn spots before my eyes:lol

Well, I have so many notes in front of me as to who has the best prices, the yarn I think I'm looking for, etc....its mind boggling!!!:ohdear What makes this more of a challenge is that I don't know the amounts I need or for what part! This is a hoot!

One thing I've learned this far is that Knitting Warehouse seems to have the best prices on all the yarns I've looked at. I don't know if its taboo here to mention that, but I've had numerous windows open, jumping back and forth comparing. I guess I'll be placing a sizable order there for quite a bit of the yarn.

I don't have any experience with Red Heart yarn. Does anyone here have an opinion of it???:idea :idea :idea :idea :badidea :badidea :shrug :shrug

Anyway, still time to keep checking prices and colors..I know there is a post farther back with the amounts so I'll check back there.

Darski, it would be great if you can get a few others to join us here. So far it seems its us and tbird!

TTYL :hook

The rest of my yarn arrived yesterday - it's amazing how quick some of the E-Bay sellers are. I'm now in that odd stage where I've had the bit of inspiration, but the pile o' raw materials doesn't look quite as cool together as I thought it would. Luckily I know that most of the time, once I get started on the project, it all somehow works out - and if it doesn't, there's always frogs :-)

I spent most of the weekend doing a *major* tidy-up of my sewing/craft room. Much needed.

tbird

They seem awfully close to each other in coloration. One had the red element but they were almost the same if you got them both on the screen at once.

It might work but I think you would need to go and really see them together to see if they are diferent enough... Or if you like them being similar.

Ok, I finally got to borrow my parent's digital camera so here are the pictures of my progress as promised:

th_CathedralWindowProgress.jpg

th_CathedralWindowCenter.jpg

The images should be clickable.

Monael - those colors look nice, but I agree with Darski that they seem very similar. It is always hard to tell with on-screen color swatches though.

Nice Work Tiffany.

To the person considering Paton's Decor, you might can see the colors better at:

http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=1730

I haven't used Paton's decor.. mainly because 1) not readily available to me.. other than mail order and 2) it has wool in it. I don't use wool unless it's unavoidable.

I really like Paton's Canadiana tho...

Have fun.. picking out the colors is more than half the fun of this afghan.

Tiffany, I love your colours. Nice contrast and yet they play off each other - love it.

I think I need to find a real, big yarn shop so I can just look and consider...

You go Tiffany - I can't wait to see more of your 'ghan as it progresses. Love this CAL

Has anyone used Patons Decor yarn? I found some colors I adore, can anyone tell me what they think?

http://www.herrschners.com/products/sku-710016__id-3589__tab-.html

The colors are mountaintop variegated and kings corner variegated. Thanks!

Those are the colors I had been thinking about, but they're both dark and the pattern calls for a light variegated. (It was so much easier to find a dark variegated!)

I went with Paton's Canadiana using pampered pastels and stained glass. If I had to do it all over again, I would not use an acrylic. It's too rough feeling and seems cheap. But Paton's Decor didn't have enough to choose from, otherwise they were my first choice. Beyond that, everything got too expensive.

The Paton's yarn is cheaper if you go with www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com. (Her site appears to be down at the moment though.....) There was another company that had good prices and cheap shipping. But in the long run, I went with Lisa's yarn because she was so helpful and there was about a dollar or two difference (including shipping) between the two.

Archived