Do you check crochet books out of your local library?

I had not until now, the county library which is closer to me than the city one had been closed for months for renovations and it finally reopened last Tuesday. I only found out Thursday night so yesterday, after doing a search on their on line catalog I headed over there. I checked out two books full of interesting patterns and one instructional DVD with 6 easy projects in it, I just couldn't wait to come home to look at them! I didn't find on the shelf everything I expected to but I put a hold on a couple of others which belong to other branches of the county library system and I should have them in a few days. While there I also found out that I can request a book that other libraries may have.

I love this because several months ago when my daughter was going to buy me a Crochet book at Barnes & Noble I was very frustrated because the few crochet books they did have were scattered around the craft section, they were not what I expected and I felt the one or two I kind of liked were too pricey. I then thought of ordering on line but I had to put that off, meanwhile I pretty much forgot which ones I did like. Now I have the opportunity to examine different books at my leisure without any commitment and when I decide to order one I can feel confident that I won't be disappointed. But even if I can't buy a book for a good while, in the meantime I could use some of the patterns featured in them to make more "stuff".

So I suggest to those of you who are on a tight budget like me to take advantage of the services your public library may offer, you'll be glad you did!;)

yeap all the time.... we can even request ones be sent to our local branch for pickup... its great being able to search the database online and basically order what I want to read:)

I do! I love the library for crafty books, but they don't really have too many. Just 29 books under the crochet search and a few of those I already own. I need to see if our library will borrow from the one north in Maryland, that library branch has loads more craft books.

Yep, me too! I LOVE:manyheart my library! They constantly add new books and have a really good interlibrary loan system. I also sometimes use the library in the neighboring county. I'm constantly tempted to check out new books, and then not so tempted to buy...it's great for the yarn budget.

Yup! My local branch of the library is a little hole in the wall, but it's convenient! I just order in the books from the other branches. I've been getting out knitting and crochet books pretty heavily for the past 2 months or so.

I really like being able to really closely look through a book to see if I truly want it or not. Any book that I want to get out repeatedly I end up putting on my 'wish list' so that I know what to pick up if I find a good book sale. I get very frustrated though when a book is out of print and I can't buy it but would like to.

Yep, me too! I LOVE:manyheart my library! They constantly add new books and have a really good interlibrary loan system. I also sometimes use the library in the neighboring county. I'm constantly tempted to check out new books, and then not so tempted to buy...it's great for the yarn budget.

Samething here. I love going to the library to borrow books. It has helped me in deciding whether or not to buy a book. I use thier website alot and also, they have alot of audiobooks and e-books you can check out right online and download to your computer. I have gotten alot of good crochet books. Gotta love it!:hook:manyheart

I was ordering the S&B book so often that they got a copy for the library I frequent~I have WONDERFUL librarians! There is also a very old Hungarian crochet book with BEAUTIFUL lace patterns I've checked out and drooled over while looking, but I've not made anything from it. I've not worked with thread really. OH! and one with Christmas crochet patterns I had forgotten about~thanks~I'll hafta get it again! ~smile~(((((HUGS))))) sandi

If you work in another city, you can look into getting a library card for that city too, if they are not in your system.

Here in Mass, I'm a member of the suburban symposium of libraries (covers the whole of the South shore), and I work in Boston so I have a Boston address to have access to the Boston System.

And our local library is willing to look across the country if there is a book I want that I can give name author and publisher to (easy if you have access to the internet). If enough people request a particular book, they will find the money in the budget to buy it.

Yes!!:yes I found a couple of thread crochet books with very nice patterns. Unfortunately they have mostly quilt or counted cross stitch books.. :( I love our librarian :manyheartand she told me about the interloan system but I have not use it yet!! Our library is a good size and I check out books weekly!!:book

Yes! It's a wonderful way to preview books to see if you want them in your collection.

Also, it does help in the hard economic times to be able to use a book for one project and then return it.

I use my library and the interlibrary loan system all the time. It's great.

:manyheart

I always use the library to look at more expensive books before I buy them. That applies to cookbooks also. Then I can usually go online and get them cheaper. I have found several nice crochet books that are in excellent condition and cost much less.

I have fallen in love with our LIbrary; I did a search on crochet titles in the online catalog and it came back with over 300 titles. I've checked out several books on amigurumi toys, and one on wearables. It is the perfect way to review a book without buying. Usually, there are only a couple patterns I'm interested in anyway, so it also saves a lot of $$$!

I suggested this idea to one of the online groups I belong to, since they are usually looking for free patterns, and the return posts were mainly about what a lousy idea this was, which surprised me. So, I'm really glad to see that it was not a fluke that our library here in Indy isn't the only one with a well stocked supply of crochet books! Beth

There is also a very old Hungarian crochet book with BEAUTIFUL lace patterns I've checked out and drooled over while looking, but I've not made anything from it. I've not worked with thread really. OH! and one with Christmas crochet patterns I had forgotten about~thanks~I'll hafta get it again! ~smile~(((((HUGS))))) sandi

If you know the titles of these books, I'd love to know--especially the Hungarian lace one, it sounds very interesting! :hook

I make use of my libraries but it's not nice like the library system in Lex. KY. Here in WV books are limited and just a few crochet books - they do sell then for 25 to 50 cents when they cleared them out and I have picked up a few - mostly I buy quilting books that way. It seems that knitting is more popular and they have a better selection of them.

It's great to see that so many others are enjoying their libraries, like CLLinda says, during these tough times it's a great help.

beth-in-indy:

I can't understand why the people in your online group said it was a "lousy" idea :think- what's wrong with those people??? Did they explain why they think so?

Wow, how lucky you all are, I've checked out mine and could only find quilts and knitting.

Yes, your post makes me appreciate more what I do have here and I feel bad for you, but maybe they have the same service and you just haven't discovered that yet, I didn't always know these services were available, y'know.

I just looked at my county library's website and in the interlibrary loan service section they explain that they are able to get books from "around the world" because they are members of the OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) so next time you stop at your library ask them if they are members. If they aren't, ask them to join, remember it's citizens tax money what funds them so they should provide services people really need.

For years I helped subsidize the local libraries with overdue fees! One year, I lost the crochet book I had borrowed and had to pay for it. It was old enough they took pity and only charged me $5 for it. Several years later I found it! By then I was living in another state, so it became part of my pattern stash.

I still enjoy checking our crochet books for the beauty of reading patterns. But these days, I get renewal notices by email and can renew on the web. My overdue fees have dropped to nothing, so now I help subsidize the libraries by donating old paperbacks for them to re-sell.

More seriously, find out how your library makes the decision to acquire new books. Frequently a component is people asking for the book. Participate in the process (I'm now on a committee) to help increase the number of crochet books your library purchases.

Archived