What to teach teenagers for beginning Crochet?

Hi everyone!

I have recently had a proposal accepted at our local rehab center to teach two groups, one adult and one teens, how to crochet. I'm volunteering to do this.

I have quite a few project that the adults can do but I'm not sure about the teens. I will be using mostly WW yarn. I doubt they want to do dishcloths!:D

Any ideas? I only get about three to four weeks per group so I really need the projects to be small so they can complete an item before they graduate.

Sore

I second scarves. It's super easy, immediate gratification, and they can give them as gifts and feel proud (and learn the joy of giving to others). Plus, you can do all sorts of fantastic color combinations and textures.

Scarves are good. Also simple rectangle purses that you can embellish with pins, "chain" flowers, etc. (Long rectangle, folded almost in half sc up the sides (leave part for a flap...or fold it all the way in half) chain strap to desired length. (I've done sc up one side, chain strap, sc down last side) A chain flower is pretty basic...you chain 5, join to form loop. Chain 7 or more, sc into loop--5 times. FO. flower. use tails to tie to bag.

you can come up with all sorts of different sizes of purses with just different starting chains and lengths of rectangles. And you can have fun with colors, textures...though I stay away from fur, esp with beginners...maybe as an edging if they feel adventurous! :P

Just another possibility.HTH my :2c FWIW :P

What about a simple square (like a dishcloth) that they could combine into a blanket for Warm Up America or Project Linus or The hole in the wall gang camps?

Collaborating on a bigger project for charity might be just what the teens, and adults, would appreciate doing.

gauntlets--they are very trendy...easily done by making rectangles and whipstitching from wrist to thumb, leave space for thumb, then stitch from above thumb to end. or, wrist warmers w/o thumbholes.

Sleeves for techno gadgets like laptops, cell phones, MP3 players and such would be a hit, I bet; and they could make them as wild and brightly colored as they like! They could even embellish with sequins or a little embroidery as well.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. We are in Canada so I won't be contributing to Warm up America.:lol Perhaps the blanket drive for here though.

Honestly though, some of these people are homeless themselves. Most of them have no self esteem either. Doing projects for charity I don't think would work.

The other part is the adults I have at most three weeks and only one hour a week. Not enough time for most of the projects. Teens I get a bit longer but not by much.

I love the idea of cozies. Great ideas. Keep em coming guys. I'm building up an arsenal of project ideas thanks to you all!!:hug

Sore

How about mobile phone cosies?

Or IPod cases? Kids just all have these things and it would be an easy project to learn how on. Then they can carry on then if they want to continue to learn with other projects.

Good luck.

:manyheart

I used to teach them how to make hair scrunchies. It was a quick practical project that they could easily have completed in two hours and could use in most cases immediately. NiYa :yarn

oh ya, scrunchies! Even with smooth yarn you can make cute ones. there's sc around the elastic, ch a bunch (say 15). repeat until elastic is FULL, join, fo. With funky yarn, all youhave to do is sc around the elastic and you're done. (but it's harder to see what you're doing)

Nonie: I don't know how far your gd is in crocheting. I found with my kids, who are still trying in an on-and-off fashion, that it was easier to get them started chaining, before fighting with the slip knot. (I backed up to that later, once they start getting the concept of the chain) DD is only 4, and still wants to try, but the manual dexterity really isn't there. DS is only 7, and pretty much has only done chains' so far. But it's a start to handcrafting, even if he never takes to it, KWIM? Your GD might find that chains in pretty colors make good bracelets/necklaces/leashes for stuffed pets/ etc. Then there's a bit of instant gratification and confirmation that she CAN do this. A good size charm or pendant on a chain makes a cute necklace or bracelet (maybe even a homemade pendant :D). After that sense of accomplishment, it will probably be easier for her when she moves on to scrunchies or scarves, etc.

HTH, my :2c...if not, ignore it :P

• 2 weeks later...

How about an Ipod pouch, very similar to a purse but can be used for boys and girls. Plus most teenagers have some sort of MP3 player.

Scarves were my first thought but then someone mentioned they would be somewhat time consuming.

I admire anyone that can teach crochet - I don't seem to have the patience. I am trying to teach my granddaughter and it is so hard. She is nine. I think scrunchies or scarves would work well.

Nonie http://noniesblankets.com :crocheting

I tried to teach my neice to crochet when she was 11 or 12 and she just wasn't getting it either. Then I taught my friend who is 27 to crochet and the hardest part was working into the starting chain. She said she was going to make me start all her projects for her then she would finish them!

Maybe if you started the first few rows for your granddaughter then let her continue doing the stitching. Even I have a hard time working into the beginning chain sometimes.

Archived