Susan Bates Hooks

Jempast

Are susan bates hooks any good? Are there different types ie plastic, bamboo etc.

What would you suggest to a person who has never tried Susan Bates hooks? The only type of hooks i ever use is boye and i am thinking about trying susan bates hooks.

I only use Susan Bates hooks. I find that the Boye hooks split the yarn and the yarn does not flow as smoothly. I have used the acrylic and aluminum Susan Bates and have been very satisfied.

LI Roe

I have 3 sets of Susan Bates hooks that are my own, and bought a full set for a friend who just started crocheting because I like them so well. That said, I started with my mother's set of Boye hooks and they have been in storage since I got my SB hooks. I like the in-line heads a lot better than the "big head" on the Boye hooks. Of course, my favorites are now my Graydog wooden hooks, which have in-line heads also.

The only Boye hooks I still use are my thread hooks, but only because I have the set with the interchangeable hook heads. :hook

If you really want to find out, buy the one hook size you use most and give it a try. I ended up getting mine because I needed a size 7 (G+) hook for a project and Boye didn't have one at the store I was at. :D

I only use Bates. I like the aluminum with the bamboo handles. Any hook that has an "in-line" head is like a SB. It can be plastic, wood, aluminum etc.

I LURVE my bamboo handled Bates! :manyheart

I only wish they would come out with sizes smaller than G. All my smaller ones hurt my hands, especially now that I'm used to the bamboo handles. I tried buying those expensive Clover hooks, but I don't like the shape and they are too short. Plus they have a more Boye like head and I just can't crochet with them. :yuck

I think it depends on what hooks you get used to I bought a sb hook once and gave it away I cannot keep the yarn on the hooks, I dont like the flat part on sb hooks.

I will stick to boye or hero my favorite hooks.

I love Susan Bates hooks and don't use any except them now.

When I have used other brands, I always dropped a lot of stitches and had to stop and pick them up. I never knew why until I held the hooks side by side. The Bates hooks have a deeper throat area which holds the yarn better, especially when using double strands.

I like the aluminum hooks the best of all, especially the older ones. They seem to be a better quality.

I tried the Susan Bates Crystalites this year, in the L, M, N, P sizes for double and triple strand work, and I wasn't too sure at first. It was strange and slow working with such large hooks, but that would be the case with any brand. Mine are very smooth and have never caught on the yarn. Additionally, they are very pretty.

I like Susan Bates the best. I have a few Boye hooks I got before I realized there was such a difference in the brands and I just can't use them. That head is so different and I'm always snagging the yarn. It slows me down considerably. I've tried the clover hooks too and ick, I just can't get used to the shape. I think it's all in the way we crochet that makes us choose a type of hook. Definitely a personal preference. :hook I especially like the SB aluminum with bamboo handles. The quality isn't all there tho. Their hooks used to be of much better quality.

If purchasing for myself I always look for Susan Bates first, Lion Brand second. I too find that I have a harder time keeping the yarn from splitting with Boyle..I inherited my Mom's hooks, and she had several SB, from then on I was hooked :yes

Mary

My mom had always used Boye, so that's what I used, until I was given 3 Susan Bates hooks by some friends. Now, those hooks are my FAVORITE, but all my other hooks (except for L and M in SB plastic, and an unknown plastic Q hook) are Boye. I can use either, I just prefer my Susan Bates! :hug

I learned on Boye. Years later I recieved a set of Bates from an older relative who can no longer crochet and I was amazed at the difference! I went out and bought all new shiney and slippery ones (old hooks are hard to use - they stick unless they're well cared for) and never turned back!

Susan Bates all the way for me too. I use the aluminum and the acrylic. I love the bamboo handled ones. But with the regular aluminum ones I have to put a hook cushion on it, I just can't stand that aluminum in my hand, my fingers get so stiff.

I confess that I've become a Susan Bates convert. I've been using the K hook for my Christmas afghan and really like it. When I did some gauge swatches recently for something else, I really noticed the difference using Susan Bates vs. using the Boye hooks. I just did a wild and crazy thing and ordered the new Susan Bates larger aluminum sizes (L, M, and N) online at Herrshners.

It's funny...I use both. I don't even notice a difference. I just pick which one feels right to me for the project and yarn.

There is only one exception to that. I made an afghan with a Boye J hook. While I was making that, I bought a set of Susan Bates hooks. I was anxious to try them, so I started a new using the Susan Bates J hook. When I would go back to the Boye hook, I felt as though I was crocheting with a baseball bat. It felt very awkward to me. That's the only size that I prefer the SB, and I have multiple sizes in both brands.

Archived