ASSEMBLING: 8" Squares for Comfortghan

thepunkrockinchick

UPDATE 3: Assembling! Yay!

UPDATE 2: Assembly will begin this weekend.

UPDATE: I now have enough squares to complete the comfortghan. Please read post 81 on page 9 for more details. Thanks! :manyheart

Hello all,

I recently started making a comfortghan for my aunt. I am not the fastest crocheter and have an 8 month old son who keeps me busy, so I decided to ask the wonderful people of Crochetville to help me.

Her Story:

My Aunt & Uncle worked very hard all of their lives saving for retirement. Right around the same time as their scheduled retirement, their only son became very ill at the age of 29 and quickly passed away. They sold their house shortly after, as planned for their retirement and bought a home near their favorite vacation spot to live for what they thought would be a long retirement. Within 2 or 3 months of moving into their dream home, my aunt was diagnosed with cancer. This is a woman who was diligent about her health. Never had qualms about seeking medical attention when she was feeling ill. So it was quite a shock to her, and everyone, when she was diagnosed. She has had surgery to remove as much as possible, but still needs chemo treatments. So far the treatments have been unsuccessful. She has two more treatments remaining. These "HAVE" to work or she will not have much time at all left as this is a very aggressive form of cancer. She's tried to keep her outlook positive, but it's becoming more difficult.

I would love to make a comfortghan for her to take to her treatments and, if they are successful, for her to be comforted once she's feeling well. Or in the unfortunate case of the treatments not working, something for her husband/my uncle to be comforted in his grief. She loves warm, earthy tones. Browns, dark greens, gold, rust, burgandy, etc. I am making 8" squares, because this is the easiest thing for me to commit to and there are so many patterns available online. Because of her situation, I am desperately trying to have it done in plenty of time for Thanksgiving. If you have any interest in helping me that would be such a big blessing. Thanks for taking the time to read this! :hug

~Cyndi~

Need: 48

Received to date: 35

Made to date: 8

Total: 52

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is this one charity in particular that is local to me called "For The Love of Babies." Right now it is a Yahoo Group, but she is trying to get official charity status with the IRS. They donate blankets, outfits, toys, and pretty much anything a family in need could use. I also make afghans for my local hospital in Springfield, MO. I am somewhat new to charity crochet, so I haven't been involved in too many charities yet, but I plan to expand my horizons soon. I also want to make washcloths and other items for our local crisis center. I've made a few things for the people here on the 'ville and want to do more when I get the chance. I think after Christmas I will be able to get much more done! :hook

What type of charities do you do the baby 'ghans for?

On my couch is a square that seems to fit the color scheme you outlined. You didn't mention how many you need. Please PM your address if you would like me to send it.

BTW I'll be participating in Portland's Race for the Cure on Sunday the 21st.

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: 0/YTD: -3

Silver medal for stashbusting 8/24/08

September Charity Square-a-long - (Sept. 12th -15th)

That is a good question Marzee! I am sorry I didn't mention it originally. I am going to need 48 squares total. I will crochet as many as I can myself, but I greatly GREATLY appreciate you wonderful ladies for helping me so that I can get it done sooner rather than much later. I cannot thank everyone enough for contributing. All of the hands that work on this comfortghan will make it all the more special. It will really warm my aunt's heart to know that so many people care. :manyheart

~Cyndi~

P.S. Marzee, that is wonderful that you are participating in the Race for the Cure! :yay

On my couch is a square that seems to fit the color scheme you outlined. You didn't mention how many you need. Please PM your address if you would like me to send it.

BTW I'll be participating in Portland's Race for the Cure on Sunday the 21st.

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: 0/YTD: -3

Silver medal for stashbusting 8/24/08

September Charity Square-a-long - (Sept. 12th -15th)

Ecru is great! Anything neutral, earth tones, fallish colors are wonderful-- she will love them. Thanks to all! :hug:hug:hug

I have a few squares i could send out, is Ecru color okay? If so send address and they are yours!

"Together We CAN Make A Difference"

Archived