WIP...storage, i guess

Hi all. I am wondering how you all carry your large wips (afghans or blankets) around when outside the home?

I work mostly on blankets and I use plastic walmart or target bags to carry them around and when they get to big for the bags they rip. Im afraid I'm going to lose my supplies and tools. I need another idea to ease my mind.

Thanks

Val

I use my yarn tote bag that i got at a garage sale for 20 cents. What a wonderful thing it is.

Its one of those bags with individual holes for the yarn to come out of, with storage for the projects and books and tools. Teapot

Any sort of tote bag is what I use. I have two Lion Brand totes and some beach bag type totes from WM and some other canvas totes that would double as reusable grocery bags. Many of my totes have at least one inside pocket.

Joyce

You could just check out a store like Target or Walmart or something, to see what you can find. I constantly get compliments on one of my WIP totes--one day even from some rich woman I encountered outside Barnes and Noble in our local upscale "Shoppes" (Barnes and Noble is the only store in there I can afford). As she was getting into her Mercedes, she told me she just loved my bag.

She drove off before I could tell her I got it for $5 at Walmart.

Another idea is, if the afghan is in pieces - like squares or strips, to just carry the actual piece being worked on.

For instance, for my Christmas afghan (which I'm doing in strips), I have the bulk of the yarn and the completed strips at home. I only carry around the strip I'm working on, the yarn for just one strip, and my tools and hook.

I also use the walmart .99c market/shopping bags. They are big. They don't have a zipper, but fit an afghan (and a bag of chocolate:yes). I have 2 that have wips in them.

I use the zippered tote bags for storage. The big weekender bags.

I have an old zippered makeup bag that I use for my traveling for hooks, small scissors, yarn needle, tape measure. Works great. Then if at lunch I have my skien of yarn, grab the bag and go.

I've also used the crochet market/shopping bags for my WIPs. Since they stretch they are nice to have them in they're not very big but work nice for a piece afghan.

Heakelbeutel Bag (BIG bag) is one I made that's big enough for a shawl or baby afghan WIP.

Debbi

I have various sized totes, ranging from small to xl. I use them according to the size of the project I am working on. The kids call them my crochet bags. My favorite one is a large one with 6 clear pockets on one side, you can put pictures in it and show off your work. Believe me when I use that one I get a lot of questions. :hook

I agree about using a canvas tote or reusable shopping bag. I keep my supplies in a small purse I still had from my before husband & children days when all I had to carry was a bit of money, ID, comb & keys. lol It's the perfect size plus I'm recycling - sort of. :lol If I'm traveling on vacation, even in the car, everything goes in a zipup bag first, then goes in the tote.

I usually make baby or doll items and afghans made of squares or strips, so small totes usually suffice.

But have you seen this tote on the lionbrand site

Eight -Pocket Two-Tone Carryall Tote

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/HookedBags.html?noImages=0

It looks to me to be ideal for crocheting projects...all those pockets on the outside for hooks and other necessaries.. Also, it's not a difficult pattern, so it could probably be made a little wider (say 6" gussets instead of 3", and/or longer, and pockets adjusted to fit your needs). I would add a pocket or 2 to the inside....especially one big enough to hold the pattern (I usually copy the pattern and keep in a sheet protector when "on the road")

I use a bookbag for smaller projects and a large diaper bag for larger projects. The diaper bag has several openings for yarn holders. And the diaper bag has a large zipper area to keep everything safe.

Blessings,

Lynn

Archived