Scrap-ghan-Along, anyone?

_Stacy_

So, I don't know if I mentioned that I started my first RR with the scraps from my daughter's baby afghan? Well, anyway, let's just say the afghan that started this whole thread has moved to the back burner. :blush Well, I was working on the RR while my kids were in the pool today, and a friend who lives right in front of the pool (we live in an apartment) came out and commented on what a beautiful afghan it was, and how she wishes she could do something like that! Perfect! I had no idea what I was going to do with this RR, but I just *had* to make it. :lol So now I think I will give it to her. :yay

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scrap-ghan I joined this for is on the backburner too, Stacy :lol. Glad to hear you found a home for your scrap round ripple--I'm sure your neighbor will love it!

The other day I made two little scrap ghans for the baby dolls at my DD's preschool. Little granny blankets. DD took them into the teachers on her first day and was so proud--and I used up 3 colours of pastel WW yarn!

I've started a scrap baby round ripple with scrap blue baby yarns. They blues don't all match quite the way I thought they would (who knew there were so many different tones in pastel blues!), but I'm hoping if I separate them by grey or white it will look okay.

I've started another scrapghan. It's one big square done in the round similar to a Granny Square, but done all in dc's with 5 dc's in each corner. I'm changing colors when one runs out.

I'm about to start my third color, hope it turns out okay. :P

ok...THAT didn't work, the afghan started going wonky...it wasn't square....and it looked funky to switch colors before finishing a round.

Sooo....I tried doing a spiral using http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/spiral.htm as a guide. Thinking that would help with color changes. But for the life of my I can't get it to lay flat. It cups up like I'm making a hat.

I started with the I hook, then changed to a J, then tried an H. aaarrrggghhh!!! :thair Does anybody know of a different spiral pattern I could try, can't seem to find one except those that use two and three colors. Would that kind look okay if I am randomly changing colors for a scrapghan? See http://blog.interweavecrochet.com/

Does anybody know of a different spiral pattern I could try, can't seem to find one except those that use two and three colors. Would that kind look okay if I am randomly changing colors for a scrapghan? See http://blog.interweavecrochet.com/

Oh, that spiral is a neat idea for a scrapghan! Sorry, I don't know of a different spiral pattern. I can't really say how it would look if you changed colours. It might look fantastic...it's hard to tell until you try (I would love to see how it does look if you do give it a try). Keep us posted on how it goes!

My baby round ripple in blues isn't going very quickly. Off the bat it isn't lying very flat, so I'll have to see if I give up or not. I enjoyed the baby ripple, so I could always use the scraps that way. I find working in light weight yarn takes so long for afghans. It is hard to stay motivated when progress is slow.

I AM giving it a try LOL. :yes I'm trying the three color spiral...it's a doosey!!! :P (how do you spell that anyway?)

I hadn't even heard of that adjustable loop thing. :think But I got through that okay. I'm still working with my original three colors. When I get to where I've changed colors a few times, I'll post a pic of my progress for all to see.

This is a fun, if not challenging pattern! AND that website only gives instructions for the first 4 rnds. I'm having to figure out how to increase from there. I've got my calculator out and I seem to be doing okay. (math is NOT my strong point, lol)

:mdust

Hmmm...my only suggestion is that maybe it's looking like a cup, is because the pattern is written for the hat? I'm dying to do a spiral but the only other pattern I've heard of is in a book, and I'm stuck to using free patterns at the moment.

Colleen- I hear ya about the thinner yarn taking longer, and thus getting bored from it. That is why I've only ever tried 1 afghan before starting this. Lately, though, I've been using chunky yarn for the afghans. LoL It doesn't take as long. I have the pink rr done, but I think I will save it for a friend who is having a baby in January, instead of giving it to my neighbor. Maybe I'll include one of those gift sets that has the baby wash/lotions/etc. :hook

I also took pictures of it (as well as the snowflake afghan I've started) so I'll post some later. :D

Glad you are giving the spiral a try Teresa.

Stacy, I borrow lots of books from the library - if I see a pattern in a book that I want to try, I just see if they have the book at the library. I like working with bulky yarns too. I recently bought some bulky yarn to make a round ripple. Maybe I should work on that one instead of trying to use these baby yarn scraps up :think.

I should tell you ladies about my recent shopping spree. My DH got me a $100 gift certificate for a local store that carries lots of stuff, but for me it is the best yarn store in town. He actually got the gift certificate through a radio promotion where gift certificates were half-priced for one day, first come first serve:cheer. I planned out a handful of patterns I wanted to try and made a list of what yarn I would need and how much. Off I went with my gift certificate and 2 hrs later came out with $100 worth of yarn, a pattern booklet, a size of hook I didn't have, and some stitch markers. It was fun - and I'm sure it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me (I don't usually spend more than $20 on yarn at a time). One of things I bought was some turquoise, white and grey bulky yarns to make a round ripple blanket with. Thought that would be a good gender-neutral baby blanket.

Tia the only thing I can think of from the cabana one is that you didnt increase if you dont that will cause it to round up. Good luck trying that other one im anxious to see how it goes for you, I got confused just reading that one lol. some times I need things simplified even more for me lol. Colleen WOW what a neat prize I definately could get lost with all that money to spend in the yarn store lol. I am working on a round ripple in red and black that i had layiing around plus one in cream, lace, taupe, and coffee. I asked earlier if this would still be considered a scrap ghan seeings how im using yarn i had laying around it just happens to be color cordinated.

Andrea- of course it would still be a scrap-ghan. For my rr, I had 3 skeins of coordinating colors leftover from a previous project. I still considered it "scraps" because it was what I had left, even though they were full skeins. :lol

Tia the only thing I can think of from the cabana one is that you didnt increase if you dont that will cause it to round up.

I followed the directions exactly. The funny thing is, is that the spiral one I'm doing now, increases the same way and I'm not having any problems with it curling. Well...that's not exactly true. It curls slightly around the edges, but as I complete each round the main part of it lays flat.

I should be ready to take a pic of the 3 color spiral I'm working on either tonight or tomorrow. I want to change colors a few more times to show how that pattern handles the frequent color changes inherent to a scrapghan.

:spin

Okay I think this gives a great idea of the potential this pattern has to be a scrapghan. I had no idea though that this would come out to be a nine-sided (whatever that is called) afghan. I somehow assumed it would be round.

DSC01470.jpg

Hey ladies~I have been lerking in here for awhile. I am ready to join since I am making a scrap baby afghan.

Teresa~your "nonagon" looks great! I get a kick out of the name. It makes me thing of a non excistant shape or something. :lol

Thanks for all the kind compliments! :manyheart

I wonder....if next time I could figure out how to stagger the increases or otherwise alter the pattern so it would come out round.

It is a nonagon because each round is increased by nine sts and all increases are worked into the increase in the previous rnd. After the first few rnds it looked round, but those increases quickly began forming "corners".

hmmm..........:think

started another(clickable photos)

grabbed all the green in skeins or fairly large ball from my scrap bad and some matching variegated and am making these

th_pictures088.jpg

if any is left over i am making chapeaus- haven't decided what color to border them in something lighter than black i think--

th_pictures090.jpg

Archived