Scrap-ghan-Along, anyone?

_Stacy_

I hate sewing stuff together too, that's why I'm doing one big granny square. :D. I'll have to look up that granny's daughter as well, sounds interesting.

I'm making yo-yo's out of the scraps of my scraps. But I'm thinking of finding a donor for those, cuz I know I'll never put all those together. :blush:lol

Oh...edited to say that I set up a desk behind the couch where I can still see the TV, so that I can lay the afghan on that as I work so it's not on my lap.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a tough decision, Holly. I sometimes get in my head to rip things out that I've already completed and I usually regret it. I guess you have to consider how much you like the afghan you already completed and is it being used as is? The other thing is to consider how much time it will take to take them apart and is it worth it?

Just curious, would it look okay to put the new grannies daughters around the existing afghan like a border in the different colours? That way you might get your beadspread sized blanket without ripping out your hard work.

That's two cents! Hope it helps! Good luck!

Okay ladies....my daughter thinks I'm nuts! But, I would like your opinion too! :D

I have a granny's daughter afghan that I finished in 2003. It has 937 motifs in it. Since then, I have continued making granny's daughters whenever I finish a skein of yarn. I have a little over 650 new motifs. I am actually considering taking apart the finished afghan, mixing up "all" of the motifs together, and making a new afghan that's big enough to lay across my king-size bed. I know....I could just add new strips to the existing afghan, but I want to mix in all the new colors I've got in the new motifs. What would you do? :think

i think that sounds like a lot of work:eek-

i would make both short and long rows and add the new motifs at the top and bottom as well as along the sides so the new colors get spread around:hook

Thank you for all of ideas! The motifs aren't "sewn" together...they're crocheted together in strips. Sort of like a "mile-a-minute" pattern. To add at each end, I'd still have to undo the strips (which are crocheted together as you complete each strip). So the assembly isn't hard....

I have enough projects to keep me busy for now....I think I'll sit on this idea for now. I am still planning on making the "Kaleidoscope" afghan from the State Fair Winners (?) book. I'm saving all my scraps from my Red Heart Challenge for that project!

937 motifs? :eek

I like the idea of making new strips then sewing them as a border, if that would work.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I went out this morning, intending to only get the rest of the pink to finish my rr, but (of course) ended up with yarn to make a green rr for my oldest daughter. I don't know how yarn just jumps into the cart sometimes. :devil

Okay ladies....my daughter thinks I'm nuts! But, I would like your opinion too! :D

I have a granny's daughter afghan that I finished in 2003. It has 937 motifs in it. Since then, I have continued making granny's daughters whenever I finish a skein of yarn. I have a little over 650 new motifs. I am actually considering taking apart the finished afghan, mixing up "all" of the motifs together, and making a new afghan that's big enough to lay across my king-size bed. I know....I could just add new strips to the existing afghan, but I want to mix in all the new colors I've got in the new motifs. What would you do? :think

Hey Holly, I'm planning a Kaliedoscope too, when I am done with the S. Scraps! I have so many scraps I'm gonna be usng them for awhile, and that pattern is so beautiful and uses such tiny ends for the centers I can't resist. I'm not sure of the colors yet, but I know it will use blues. I'm just not sure what to put with it. It might be blue/green/beige, and then another that is burgundy/purple/pink/yellow... I dunno. Hopefully I'll get ideas from yours!

As far as your granny's daughters go, I love playing with color and layout so much I would probably end up totally remaking it to get the color distribution right. Plus it would be like getting a whole new blankie out of the deal!

Holly and Julie what is the kalidascope(sp?)

Andrea,

The Kaleidoscope afghan is featured on the cover of "Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs" book. I found it on Amazon.com. If you search for it on Amazon, you should be able to see the picture of the book's cover.

Hey Holly, I'm planning a Kaliedoscope too, when I am done with the S. Scraps! I have so many scraps I'm gonna be usng them for awhile, and that pattern is so beautiful and uses such tiny ends for the centers I can't resist. I'm not sure of the colors yet, but I know it will use blues. I'm just not sure what to put with it. It might be blue/green/beige, and then another that is burgundy/purple/pink/yellow... I dunno. Hopefully I'll get ideas from yours!

As far as your granny's daughters go, I love playing with color and layout so much I would probably end up totally remaking it to get the color distribution right. Plus it would be like getting a whole new blankie out of the deal!

Hey Julie,

Don't wait on me to get started. I'm going to use the scraps from my Rectangles for the Troops once I finish my "Red Heart Challenge". I might not get started on it before spring. I can hardly wait but, they say patience is a virtue...right? :blush If I get it done in time, though...I might enter it in the state fair. I've never entered anything, and I think it might be something I'd like to do!

As for my granny's daughters...you summed up my feelings perfectly. I'm my own worst critic, and I just want it to look right. At least to me! ;)

I hate sewing stuff together too, that's why I'm doing one big granny square. :D. I'll have to look up that granny's daughter as well, sounds interesting.

I'm making yo-yo's out of the scraps of my scraps. But I'm thinking of finding a donor for those, cuz I know I'll never put all those together. :blush:lol

<snip>quote]

Tia,

I'm not sure of a recipient for the yo-yo's, but granny daughters are as easy as yo-yo's (the 1st row of a granny square) and Angelfire is collecting them on this thread . She might be interested in the yo-yo's also if you email her. :)

Sandy

Hey Andrea, I found the pattern free online:

http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/media/pdf/afghans-pages%2096-97.pdf

HTH!

Holly, It will probably be spring when I get to mine, too. BTW, what's the RH challenge?

My "Red Heart Challenge" is a personal challenge I've set up for myself. Click on the link in my signature.

thanks Julie although I couldnt find anywhere on there that it tells you how to join them and it appears that there are more than 6 rows around the hexagon. Maybe im just tired and not seeing things clearly ill look at it again tomorrow lol.

Andrea, I'm just assuming you can join with your favorite method, just like any other motif pattern. I personally don't mind whipstitching, since it leaves a clean seam and I can just use the tails- less weaving!

Holly, sorry- had a duh moment and didn't look in your sig line.

Holly, sorry- had a duh moment and didn't look in your sig line.

LOL....no worries! :D I'm really looking forward to making the Kaleidoscope afghan, though! It's going to be hard having to wait, but I've got to finish my other projects first.

Thanks Sandy, already found that thread and have been making the granny's daughters since. I had only done a few yo-yo's and can easily re-do them.

Tia,

I'm not sure of a recipient for the yo-yo's, but granny daughters are as easy as yo-yo's (the 1st row of a granny square) and Angelfire is collecting them on this thread . She might be interested in the yo-yo's also if you email her. :)

Sandy

Well i finally started , I am making a round ripple, not sure if it will classify as a scrap ghan cuz its all in browns but i didnt buy any yarn for it, Im using some one pounders that i had. Im still gonna do another one with all the other scraps i have of course not sure if those are considered scraps either considerig that i have full skiens left over i tend to over by. lol.

Looks great Teresa!

I finished my scrap baby ripple! Here it is and I loved working with all the colours! I used this pattern: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cp2.html, but I added two chains at the start and replaced the all the sc with dc. The white is ww and most of the colourful scraps are Patons Astra.

th_IM000696.jpg

th_IM000697.jpg

I'm going to start a baby round ripple to use up some blue baby yarns next so I will still be taking part in this CAL!

Hello...I am new to this site, and I have to say that all of your projects look great! I am working on my second blanket, a ripple for my brother-in-law and his wife. I made one granny square blanket that looked great, but it came unwoven :( . Anyone mind if I join in?

Colleen- that looks wonderful! It is very colorful and kid-friendly.

Lobsterlassie- welcome! Glad you could join us. I look forward to seeing pics of your work.

Archived