Scrap-ghan-Along, anyone?

_Stacy_

I have decided to try my first scrap-ghan! I am very excited, but am worried that making all of the yo-yo's is going to be very daunting.

So I'm wondering if anyone is up for making one with me? Any kind of scrap-ghan you like.

I am making my yo-yo's from leftover Caron Brites, then working a second row of white around them so they make a square (I just cannot get the hang of joining the actual yo-yo's together,) then I will join the squares together when finished. Don't know yet if I'm going to use white for the joining or another Brites color. I guess I have plenty of time to decide, though!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I start one, I call it in my mind a scrap ghan BUT then decide it's gotta be color coordinated..... Except for one I made that was one square of each color of yarn I had.

Circle in a square was the design. I never could figure out what border to make. I need to take a picture of it and post it somewhere.

Donna

I am in! I have all those part skeins of yarn left over that are taking up space. I have recently started to make them into 8 inch squares. I like making squares because they work up so quickly and you get that instant satisfaction.

So far I have made five squares that will eventually coordinate into a lapghan that will be creams, roses and greens (all scraps so far!). I have made two or three squares in other colours that will likely turn into a second lapghan or afghan...eventually! So, this CAL is just what I need! I will post pics of what I've got so far soon.

Question for all you scrapghaners - has anyone ever incorporated yarns that are not traditional afghan yarns into a scrapghan? I've got little balls in various weights and types of yarn and I'm not sure what to do with them. Stretchy yarns, sport yarns, baby yarn, etc. It would be great if I could use them up!

Yay! Thanks for joining me! (Gosh, no pun intended! LoL)

Donna- mine are all Brites so I guess you could say mine is color-coordinated, too. :yes

Colleen-I have also thought about doing one with different types of yarn but was afraid that it wouldn't line up once I wanted to join them together.

I have about 20 squares done so far. I will have to take a pic of them tomorrow. I tried to join a couple with the flat braid method just to see how it would look, and I think it looked too "busy." So I will probably just whip-stitch them.

OK.

I'm in.

I just checked my stash, and I think I have enough coordinating colors to make a baby-sized ghan. I hope that's OK!

I know the nature of a scrapghan is to just use whatever's on hand, but I just can't bring myself to do that! :lol

I'm going to make a baby-sized "kitties in a row" ghan using black, white, and red. (Another thread about baby colors started me thinking about my stash!)

There!

I'm committed now! :P

I have a few scrappies started, 1 being a granny daughter, 2 granny squares (diff size squares), a 2-sub,and a the friends and families square (was wanting to make up enough to do a few of them). So, after I finish a comfort ghan i just started, I may say I am in. :)

Stacy, are you doing yo-yo's? or granny daughters? If it's granny daughters, I have a version of joining them thats very simple (it's sl st in the ch 2 spaces, and crocheting between the sl st spaces).

Sandy

Ok, I'm gonna have to join this one!! I just started a scrap ghan of sorts with the afghan stitch but it's not a regular afghan stitch ghan though. It's a different sort of shape. It's gonna be sooo pretty cause I'm using 2 different colors for each section and then I'm gonna edge them with black then sew 'em together. I'll post pics of one of the finished sections tomorrow. It's in purple. My FAV color!!

Have a great night ya'll!!!

Julee

I'm changing my pattern!

I started working on it this morning, and although the "kitties in a row" pattern is very pretty, I'm using worsted weight yarn and I think it's just coming out too bulky for a baby-sized blanket.

This is the first time I tried that pattern, and I like it a lot, but not for this.

I think I'll just go to a ripple....maybe a round one, maybe a straight....I'll just have to give it some consideration.....

But I'm going to frog the kitties! :lol

i think i will make some lapghans for my charity group

i found some "chapeaus " in a bag- (must have been going to start a 'ghan:hook) so will add to them and make one lapghan

and

found a 12" pattern- "Clusters and Shells" to make another which uses both variegated and solid ,this should make the biggest dent in my scrap stash so i am off and crocheting:crocheting

DH wants to go fishing tomorrow so i will take my camp chair and crochet while he trudges up and down the stream:goldfish( catch and release only)

Sounds like everyone is finding their scraps!

As of last night I had 5 squares. Made 4 more today, but I need some honest opinions. This is my first scrapghan and I am trying to make it coordinate somewhat and also use up scraps. Here is what I have so far:

th_IM000691-1.jpg

The pattern is called "Granny in the Middle". Here's the link http://dayna.tdgservices.com/ShowPattern.aspx?PatternID=38.

I am out of yarn now. I have a few scraps of each colour that I could use for the grannies in the middle. The only other colour I have that might work is denim blue.

I will have to buy one skein of cream to join and do a border, which is okay since I've already used up 4 colours worth of scraps. I could do that now and with a few granny style rounds and a shell border might end up with 30" square...

So, here are my questions:

1. How big should a lapghan be? I was thinking of giving it to my great aunt who lives in a home and spends her day in a wheelchair, so it would be used as a lapghan. Should I make it bigger?

2. Does that varigated pink & green one stick out...or the solid green one? I can rework those into others if you think I should. :think

Sorry for the long post. I would love some feedback, because all I've heard here is my 3.5 yr old dd who said "Mommy, it doesn't match!".:lol

Thanks!!

yummy colors coleenka

first a lapghan is appx 36" x 48" give or take the size of the square you are using --personally i like 9" (20 squares this only ends up 45 " long) or 12" (12 squares) but any size will work

i'll bet once you have the squares bordered all the patterns and colors will blend in and seem made for each other

i am aways amazed at how "coordinated" the squares in a scrap ghan look

even if we didn't TRY to make it so:hook

I have a dumb question what is a grany daughters square? I have tons of scrap as well so i may join.

A granny's daughter is just the first round of a granny square.

Julee

yummy colors coleenka

first a lapghan is appx 36" x 48" give or take the size of the square you are using --personally i like 9" (20 squares this only ends up 45 " long) or 12" (12 squares) but any size will work

i'll bet once you have the squares bordered all the patterns and colors will blend in and seem made for each other

i am aways amazed at how "coordinated" the squares in a scrap ghan look

even if we didn't TRY to make it so:hook

Thanks Lynn. I guess I need to bring in some more colors...or buy more yarn. It is coming along, though. Feels good to use up the scraps!

By the way, what is a chapeau?

Thanks Lynn. I guess I need to bring in some more colors...or buy more yarn. It is coming along, though. Feels good to use up the scraps!

By the way, what is a chapeau?

I think it's a french word, and do know that it means "hats". there is a nice afghan pictured here of them.

As for your pictures, until you said there was a varigated one on it, i didnt realize since it worked in so well. I like the colors and coordinations of them.

Sandy

I think it's a french word, and do know that it means "hats". there is a nice afghan pictured here of them.

Oh, that is so cute! Thanks. You learn something new every day!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments about my colours.

Colleenka- your squares look great!

That hat pattern is adorable, too.

Ok...here are two pictures of my ideas.

th_crochetandsuch008.jpg

th_crochetandsuch007.jpg

The first picture was my initial idea, I was going to do squares then sew them together. However, yesterday I found the flat-braid joining method for yoyo's, and I think now I will do that instead (which is the second photo), even though it means more weaving of ends and such. I think it looks a lot better, anyway. :clap

Archived